Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

16 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We went on a different day that BermudaBound went on.  The snorkel isn’t great but it was easy to get off & back on when you’re on a catamaran if you snorkel.  We only booked it because we had extra OBC we had to use.  

We enjoyed the vibe of it & staff who were great.  It was actually relaxing & a fun time for us. 

Just goes to show that all experiences are different. There are two (or three) Ohana boats. Our crew wasn’t ‘great’ and on the other boat a CC member has photos of the crew sitting in the back on their cell phones as passengers helped each other up the ladder.

I would also note there was no soap in the bathroom which, for me, was pretty icky (I didn’t see sanitize anywhere either). Since we were still under Noro protocols, I felt that sanitation for distributing the fruit was way below standards too. 

Apparently not all Ohana boats are created equal. I am glad you had a better experience onboard and it sounds like you went to the same snorkeling spot (inside the reef but certainly no lagoon as we would describe it).

For those that want to snorkel, IMO Papeete isn’t the best choice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Aloha and thank you for following along. I met folks in their 80s who were doing just fine on the excursions, but only you know your physical limitations. Some of my best buds were in their 70’s and running circles around the younger folks. Based on this year’s demographics, you would be in the median age range. Plenty of ports without tenders to explore and the only two that are a bit sketchy are Fakarava and Nuka Hiva.

If you do decide to go, I would be more than happy to help you both if you needed it, and if you get hooked up with the amazing CC family I’m sure there are others. I never once felt alone and knew that if something happened where I found myself in need, the community would come thru. While you can always find mean spirited people online, I have found that overwhelmingly people on CC lead with kindness.

You are a peach and thank you. We are off next week on a 16 day cruise to Hawaii on Princess. We will see how that one goes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just goes to show that all experiences are different. There are two (or three) Ohana boats. Our crew wasn’t ‘great’ and on the other boat a CC member has photos of the crew sitting in the back on their cell phones as passengers helped each other up the ladder.

I would also note there was no soap in the bathroom which, for me, was pretty icky (I didn’t see sanitize anywhere either). Since we were still under Noro protocols, I felt that sanitation for distributing the fruit was way below standards too. 

Apparently not all Ohana boats are created equal. I am glad you had a better experience onboard and it sounds like you went to the same snorkeling spot (inside the reef but certainly no lagoon as we would describe it).

For those that want to snorkel, IMO Papeete isn’t the best choice. 

wow…not helping passengers back on would be a huge complaint.   

No, it certainly wasn’t a lagoon.  Did you guys dance on the way back?  They had the ladies then the men which was fun.  We did not have to use the facilities so can’t comment on that.  

Agree, Papeete isn’t the place to snorkel since there are such other great options to do that. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

wow…not helping passengers back on would be a huge complaint.   

No, it certainly wasn’t a lagoon.  Did you guys dance on the way back?  They had the ladies then the men which was fun.  We did not have to use the facilities so can’t comment on that.  

Agree, Papeete isn’t the place to snorkel since there are such other great options to do that. 

Now you know that had we danced my review may have been way BETTER! 🙂

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m on Maui right now, I’ll wave to you 🙂

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’m on Maui right now, I’ll wave to you 🙂

Enjoy your stay there!!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:12 PM, julia said:

@BermudaBound2014....

Love your gratitude, love your attitude, and I so appreciate your postings from the past five weeks.  It took us several months to reflect and analyze the totality of our 2023 South Pacific cruise. The memories (and friendships) are now embedded in our hearts.  Perhaps we'll sail together in the future.... I certainly hope so!

Thank you for following along. I agree that boththe memories and friendships I made are going to last a lifetime. I do hope to sail with you as well!  

My Gratitude continues as Maui greeted me with this amazing sunset from my Lanai last night. I’ve been watching a group of whales with my binoculars all morning just off of Napili bay. As much as I loved the cruise, there is something very special about my time here. Healing. Centering.  Hard to explain, but I just resonate differently. I can think of no better explanation mark on a cruise of a lifetime than to spend time reflecting in paradise. 

My cup is overflowing….

IMG_4088.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone on the cruise this year take the water taxi to the Otefaro motu?  We were going to  but decided on something else.  I am putting it on our list to do in 2025.  How did it work out?  Did you sign up for it in the terminal and do you remember the tour company?.  Thought I saw a sign for it.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, DJ Cruisers said:

Did anyone on the cruise this year take the water taxi to the Otefaro motu?  We were going to  but decided on something else.  I am putting it on our list to do in 2025.  How did it work out?  Did you sign up for it in the terminal and do you remember the tour company?.  Thought I saw a sign for it.

I did! you pick up a ticket in the office right outside the gangway. $25 round trip. Water taxi Comes often. It’s primitive, showers didn’t work and you bring your own toilet paper. Beach was great. Snorkeling from beach was decent at the far end. Lots of locals. I will likely do this again next year. I’d be more than happy to show you where to get the tickets but it’s super easy. You can see the motu from the ship.

0F65DA8C-DB25-45B1-B242-173409DEC8BC.jpeg

E36D9D7B-7D68-4A1E-A89A-C92400A10CE8.jpeg

8D606541-6E38-4BBD-B72F-3422B3E9629C.jpeg

9C6FA3AC-937E-4A31-B309-9900B1100626.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you for following along. I agree that boththe memories and friendships I made are going to last a lifetime. I do hope to sail with you as well!  

My Gratitude continues as Maui greeted me with this amazing sunset from my Lanai last night. I’ve been watching a group of whales with my binoculars all morning just off of Napili bay. As much as I loved the cruise, there is something very special about my time here. Healing. Centering.  Hard to explain, but I just resonate differently. I can think of no better explanation mark on a cruise of a lifetime than to spend time reflecting in paradise. 

My cup is overflowing….

IMG_4088.jpeg

We love Maui .Spent may weeks there & snorkeled  at Malokini  Reef  a number of times  back then  .now our favorite cruise is R/T Hawaii from SD each year in January 

Posted (edited)

@BermudaBound2014  adding my thanks for your very informative and interesting thread.  I particularly enjoyed your positive attitude!   I followed along and had my heart in my throat,  when you made your midnight visit to Kona.  Hoping there was a good outcome for those involved. 

We felt a bit uncomfortable in San Diego with public transit.   Unfortunately, it is a growing problem many places and in Hawaii as well. Hopefully answers will be found. 

I’m sending much aloha for your time in Maui,  I feel the same, Hawaii is a very healing place and has been an important part of my life for decades.  Many great memories, and we hope to continue to spend a few months each year as we have been blessed to do so.  
Mahalo! 

and kudos to @canadianbear thanks for taking one for the team! 

IMG_0634.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We did this cruise in 2023 ....For Tahiti -- I wouldn't recommend Unique Tahiti Tours----finding the vehicle at the pier was somewhat confusing - the owner showed up but our driver wasn't there yet...owner gave me something to give to the driver when he did (which I did)...shortly after departing for the tour the Mercedes van started not starting after any stop that was made -- the driver finally figured out how to keep that from happening.  The rest of the tour was as described except we stopped for lunch at a place, which was not included in the price of the tour as we found out after we'd eaten & there was no light or soap or hand sanitizer in the restroom.  Then on the way back to the ship, the driver took us to his house where he had to touch base with his wife.  We did see what was advertised but the whole thing was kind of weird.

Edited by 57redbird
info
  • Like 2

Thanks BermudaBound.  I had read about this from home and thought I saw a sign in the terminal as we were rushing thru.  I did see the Motu from our verandah, it looked nice.  Will do it in 2025.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJ Cruisers said:

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I did! you pick up a ticket in the office right outside the gangway. $25 round trip. Water taxi Comes often. It’s primitive, showers didn’t work and you bring your own toilet paper. Beach was great. Snorkeling from beach was decent at the far end. Lots of locals. I will likely do this again next year. I’d be more than happy to show you where to get the tickets but it’s super easy. You can see the motu from the ship.

We are planning to do this in 2025 on the second day of our Raiatea stop!

Thanks @BermudaBound2014 for the info, glad to hear it was easy enough to get the water taxi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You BermudaBound2014 for a simply wonderful live blog.  Truly appreciate the detail and opinions.  Helps all of us cruise smarter.  Look forward to a similar itinerary in 2026.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

0F65DA8C-DB25-45B1-B242-173409DEC8BC.jpeg

E36D9D7B-7D68-4A1E-A89A-C92400A10CE8.jpeg

8D606541-6E38-4BBD-B72F-3422B3E9629C.jpeg

9C6FA3AC-937E-4A31-B309-9900B1100626.jpeg

Hi, I was just talking about this place we went to last year (going again in September ).  Please remind me what island this was.  Thank You

1 hour ago, sprinkles said:

Hi, I was just talking about this place we went to last year (going again in September ).  Please remind me what island this was.  Thank You

Raiatea

17 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

About half way through the cruise I was complaining in the washroom about the soap and a kind woman showed me how the censer on the dispenser worked.  It's hidden on the underside.  Everyone in the washroom was astonished and laughing about it.  Poor design.  I passed the information on to a lot of people.

• Like 3

Did anyone on this message board decide to rent a car in Honolulu and drive around?  From what I understand, you must pick up and return the car at the airport.  We have no desire to drive in the dark so would be returning by 7pm.  Is it worthwhile to consider this?  I’m not sure what sightseeing spots are close by and driving distances….would love to hear some first hand experiences with this.

2 hours ago, danogg said:

Did anyone on this message board decide to rent a car in Honolulu and drive around?  From what I understand, you must pick up and return the car at the airport.  We have no desire to drive in the dark so would be returning by 7pm.  Is it worthwhile to consider this?  I’m not sure what sightseeing spots are close by and driving distances….would love to hear some first hand experiences with this.

We’ve often rented cars in Honlulu/Waikiki from the hotel car rental locations. The main issue (for me) is that they have very odd hours and often close early, so the return is done by a “drop box”. I’ve had no issues - but take MANY pictures of the car and drop off spot…

Also - Waikiki is closer to the cruise pier than the airport, but still quite some distance. 

One thing to consider - the transit system on Oahu is VERY good. We’ve not done it, but we have friends that took the bus all the way to the North Shore and back (at that time - it was $2 per person each way!). We often walk off the ship, take the bus a fair distance and make our way back on foot (but we walk a lot). 

For our upcoming trip with an overnight stay, we might take the bus over to Kailua and back the first day and then take the bus to the Diamond Head area and walk back on the second day.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:33 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Many thanks for your great live-from thread. I haven't chimed in a lot but I've been following you guys as you floated around the warm waters of the Pacific. 🏆🏆🏆

Wow, what a nice endorsement. Unfortunately one thing I've learned from following along is that this cruise wouldn't be a great fit for me. 😭 When you first set off I had visions of booking it next year or the following one. I really appreciate this thread because it helped me see that -- wonderful as it is -- it wouldn't be my cup of tea at all.

I still think we are going to sail together one day, but I totally understand that this itinerary isn’t for everyone. I’m glad my review may have helped shed some light.

I believe that this itinerary lends itself to those that want to spent their time IN the water. The snorkeling is some of the best I’ve encountered. Of course, just looking at the water gorgeous too, but getting in it and experiencing coral reefs that are still alive is just indescribable.  The cultural land trips in FP are hot. I do recommend air conditioning transportation if you are going to spend time on land. Next year I plans to skip the land trips entirely and spend everyday in FP submersed in salt water. 

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Sorry I’m so far behind. I do have many notes I want to contribute to wrap up this live review but this weekend was “Celebration on the Arts” here at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua. 

So far I’ve had the honor of participating in the traditional Hawaiian Ceremony of “Hi’uwai” (purification) and “E Ala E” (awakening) held at sunrise to open the weekend festivities. I even learned the proper chant Hawaiians use to call up the sun. I learned how to carve Koa, how to basket weave,  sat in on a presentation of natural Hawaiian healing plants, and stamped my own “art” with volcanic ash.The whole weekend has been devoted to learning about and celebrating Hawaiian heritage and I feel so blessed to take part each year. This years theme was

Here are some photos (totally unrelated to my cruise review, but I feel like Maui is one big shore excursion lol). Also a couple links for those who maybe interested in learning more.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theresachristine/2019/07/30/what-is-a-hiuwai-ceremony-all-about-this-reenergizing-hawaiian-tradition/?sh=4684351c2f9e 

https://www.flipsnack.com/98C95F99E8C/celebration-of-the-arts-2024-program/full-view.html

B39DDBE6-0782-4DC3-8F9A-19DCC1E05B3D.jpeg

EA6A8418-B6E5-48E7-AB82-C15202ECE18F.jpeg

F0DC7894-E9AC-42A3-926B-B0B58D524D1D.jpeg

E0A985C3-65A1-468F-8D27-C5480FA787F0.jpeg

1F537D6A-E35E-4894-A7AD-05A9B87F9B31.jpeg

F67ADF2C-3DCB-4C0A-B737-839FC182D792.jpeg

9F66AFFF-3A9A-4EB3-BA49-25D56DD213F1.jpeg

2E22B4DA-BC51-4327-A8A5-A9F223ED304C.jpeg

20C65A25-4836-4EAD-A07C-635B9CB2ADEF.jpeg

7FA38B6D-87DE-489A-B297-DEF2656C7E1C.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I have it in my notes to write about the Koningsdam Ball and Chocolate Surprise. This was held on the last formal night. Be warned, this is going to sound really negative, but I honestly believe this is a place where HAL needs some improvement. 

My group got to BBkings 2 hours before the Ball started. There was some type of game show (maybe it was trivia?), but we didn’t dare leave to make sure we had seats for the evening festivities. Lots of others did the same. I don’t think there was a single table open an hour before the show.

HAL can’t really do much about the Kdams poor design. This ship just doesn’t move crowds well. As I’ve said, we were on a 6,500 And 4,000+ cruise ship a few weeks before I embarked on the Kdam, and both those ships felt FAR less crowded due to their design. Even though the Kdam is a medium sized ship at 2,600 passengers, her space ratio is poor. In other words, she feels more crowded. Often.

I’m not sure who designed RSRR, but whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a wall extending half the width of the venue needs to have their design diploma reviewed. I’d guess that about 20% of the seats in this lounge are totally blind to the band. Useless. 

It’s also a very poor use of space to have BB, RSRR, and BBkings so closely connected. Music bleeds between bbkings and RSRR. I get the theory, put the rooms close together so people don’t need to walk far, but what this does is create terrible  traffic jams because everyone is competing for limited space all evening. If you want a good seat- show up early. 

The Kdam is also lacking a lounge where they can hold a party that everyone can attend. The orange party on the lido was great! Everyone fit. Sure it was super hot because the roof malfunctioned, and the timing was off because we had to get up in the morning for an island, but everyone fit in one venue! This created a unified high energy atmosphere.

BBKings just can’t do that. There were many people who could not attend the Ball or the St Patty's day party because all seats were taken hours before the parties started. And in spite of my attempts to get another party held at the lido (I would guess in excess of 50 people asked for another deck party after the orange party), the request fell on deaf ears. That is a shame because the limited space of BBKing does ensure that some are left out.

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to move the parties to the lido. Not every night of course, but the Kdam Ball (or any formal party) would have been perfect for the lido. It was a cool night so heat wouldn’t have been a factor. They could open or close the roof as temperature dictated. There would have been more room to disperse chocolates around. I just don’t understand the hesitation. On a traditional tropic cruise there are three  lido deck parties in 7 nights. Certainly the Kdam could have offered three in 35.

I can testify that there  were chocolates, but the servers brought out trays and handed them to the first tables. That meant  99% of the guests never saw chocolate let alone tasted it. There wasn’t nearly enough chocolates or servers to go around and the venue was so crowded it made it hard for them to serve. And don’t even get me started on how crowded the mosh pit (I mean dance floor) became.

I realize that HAL can’t do much to fix the physical design flaws of the Kdam. The theatre, music walk, lido, etc are just too small to accommodate all passengers. BUT- they can improve the scheduling/location of events to compensate. The lido was grossly underutilized in the evening. They weren’t even offering movies each night. The lido is the one venue that can move large crowds and you just can’t get the same unified party vibe when you split people into 3 separate lounges. 

Ok -Off soap box. I did put similar comments in my review. Perhaps I’m in the minority, but I have to believe that some people who wanted to attend the Ball (or get chocolate), simply couldn’t because of poor venue scheduling .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5