Stephens Passage

Piper934

Looks like Holland and Seabourne only 2 lines that list Stephens Passage on their itinerary as cruising to.  However when looking at map ships that go to Tracy Arm appear to have to sail through this same area.

Guess the question I have is has anyone done both and can describe the difference?  I am assuming the Stephens Passage listing would go through slower, maybe have a naturalist discuss, point out sites, etc. On way to Tracy Arm maybe not so much or even at night when not visible.  End game is whale watching as Stephens is said to have a large concentration at the south of the passage, capture that here and save on other tours along the way.

Thanks in advance,

Whale watching from cruise ship vs whale watch from smaller boat is like watching football from the top row of the stadium vs 3 row on 50 yd line. Cruise ships almost never slow down and stay far away but you can see the blows. On deck for several hours. For balcony room can't see both sides and only have 1/2 the chance.  Check youtube for what you see from each. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Piper934 said:

Looks like Holland and Seabourne only 2 lines that list Stephens Passage on their itinerary as cruising to.  However when looking at map ships that go to Tracy Arm appear to have to sail through this same area.

Guess the question I have is has anyone done both and can describe the difference?  I am assuming the Stephens Passage listing would go through slower, maybe have a naturalist discuss, point out sites, etc. On way to Tracy Arm maybe not so much or even at night when not visible.  End game is whale watching as Stephens is said to have a large concentration at the south of the passage, capture that here and save on other tours along the way.

Thanks in advance,

Depending on the itinerary, many ships can use it inbound/outbound Juneau. It isn't open ocean, but it also isn't exactly a narrow, or confined channel, based on my recollection. When northbound, we also sailed through these waters mostly at night.

Negative on going slower, we sailed at whatever speed was required to reach the next port. When whales were spotted, we announced the sighting, but didn't slow down.

Whether you have naturalists onboard depends on the cruise line.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.4c7c300dfa4a765124404fe2f1d6f4b4.png

Unless you’re coming from or going to Sitka via Icy Strait, you will transit Stephen’s Passage.  I think the cruise lines were looking for something to make their route sound different or special.

• Like 1

As the others said, Stephens Passage is the primary route when northbound into or southbound out of Juneau.  I've never seen a cruise line highlight it as part of the itinerary.

It's a wide pass.  I've seen whale spouts numerous times through there, but rarely close to the ships.  They're usually close to the shoreline.  

• Like 2

Holland America mentions this in their brochure. When sailing Princess -- it is not in the brochure but it is in their daily document that comes out that says it sails Stephen's Passage and when it sails there. Most probably ignore this.

Edited by Casey12
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:58 PM, Piper934 said:

They are the 2 lines that list it as a feature on their brochures.

I have been on other ships (mostly Princess) that also list it on the route once on the ship. They don't make a big deal about it through.