The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 15th, 2024

kazu

2 hours ago, kazu said:

If you have an overnight Terri and IF you like Fado, I highly recommend a local Fado house - Senor Fado - he, his wife and their daughter are all Fado professionals.  the meal is good (although they say to come for the music and not the food) and it’s a small intimate place.

The music is amazing.  It’s in Alfama - take a cab there and you can either walk back to your ship if it’s parked at the right pier or a cab back.

Thanks Jacqui.  That was another thing I missed thanks to Covid. Terri

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kazu said:

...Yikes!  We had one a number of years ago that was after my little Fox (little is 35 pounds but compared to the other big dogs she was little).  Maverick gave me warning.  I was shocked to see his hackles and he literally commanded Kazu to move in front with him - in front of me and Fox behind me.  

I never heard the barks before he gave and I never heard them again.  We backed out of the Nature Trail for nearly a mile ( how I didn’t trip over the leashes, I don’t know).  the coyote never backed off until we hit the road but Maverick at 125 pounds and Kazu at 75 was pretty formidable so he didn’t attack.

Coyotes are normally frightened of people.  A bit of yelling or clapping of hands will normally scare them away.  Unfortunately we have encroached on their territory and along with the dog/coyote or dog/wolf hybrids, they lose their fear of humans.

the same coyote ripped a woman’s face when she tried to save her puppy in her back yard.  

I do hope the child had not been severely hurt 🙏 

Your story is scary- glad it ended well.

I just watched the afternoon news - they reported there were 3 attacks, including near a school crosswalk. Police are now walking the kids while animal control looks for the coyotes. They caught and euthanized one, still looking for the others. I wasn't sure how many children were involved. They said they're going to be ok; the worst was a boy that a coyote grabbed in the chest and tried to drag off; neighbors were able to scare it away.

A man called 911 to report a coyote in his backyard thinking it was the one we had heard about and learned that one had been caught and this was a different one.

They said the same thing you did - coyotes normally frightened of humans, but none of these are - they're aggressive. It's like a Steven King novel.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Your story is scary- glad it ended well.

I just watched the afternoon news - they reported there were 3 attacks, including near a school crosswalk. Police are now walking the kids while animal control looks for the coyotes. They caught and euthanized one, still looking for the others. I wasn't sure how many children were involved. They said they're going to be ok; the worst was a boy that a coyote grabbed in the chest and tried to drag off; neighbors were able to scare it away.

A man called 911 to report a coyote in his backyard thinking it was the one we had heard about and learned that one had been caught and this was a different one.

They said the same thing you did - coyotes normally frightened of humans, but none of these are - they're aggressive. It's like a Steven King novel.

It was scary - beyond belief.

I bordered on letting the two big dogs go and fight and pick up Fox and run and went no  in my head - what if it’s rabid and what if they were hurt.

So once Maverick gave his command and the other two listened we just backed out.  I was shaking like a leaf and we ran to every neighbours house with children that played on the trail to warn them on the way home.

I called DND and was poo’d poo’d and then called a town councillor and he put me in contact with the right person.  the next thing I knew, CBC was here to film the story and warn people and Jacqui and “her big 3 dogs”. (LOL _ Fox was not big) were on the news.

I haven’t taken a dog down the nature trail since.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks Jacqui.  That was another thing I missed thanks to Covid. Terri

If you don’t mind to be up a bit late Terri, they are truly wonderful.  Much better than the HAL Fado (which is not real Fado).  they do a second show and the Portuguese people there ( a lot of locals go) usually stay for the second show, strolling Fado players join in  and it’s something - but that goes to early morning 😉 

the first show is excelent though IMO and DD DH’s.  We half filled the place with our roll call one time (it’s very small - 36 seats I think?) and everyone enjoyed it FWIW.

• Like 10

Yikes on the coyote attacks!  We had part of our provincial park closed last year because of attacks.  Mostly during denning season,  and some dog owners let their dogs run off leash where they shouldn’t.   But they are losing their fear and have been walking in groups of six right across from where we live.   Scary for sure! 

We really enjoyed the Fado show we went to as well.  Such a different style of music.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 10

We have been a number of times to Lisbon and a couple of times on the”  Elegant Explorer " , The beloved Prinsendam in 2016 and 2019 .

Thank you all for the very nice pictures I saw a lot of familiar shots from places we have visited in Lisboa .
 In 2016 we were on a small group tour from Lisbon to Sintra and Estoril so I will show a few pictures from that particular day , will see how many pics CC will allow me . 

We first went to the Palace of Pena built in the 1850’s on the site where a medieval monastery had stood . It lies on higher grounds plus there still was some morning fog which is seen here on my photos .

Despite being very late today I love to show you some pictures of one of our visits to Lisbon 

57320924_DSCN18532.thumb.jpg.c2feb1693cb521ff31603819e591d0d9.jpg

DSCN1854.thumb.JPG.06da00e6d74495eda591dc86caa82f33.JPG

Talk about workmanship .......

DSCN1870.thumb.jpg.c165864058890a06ab263d02bbeabbea.jpg

DSCN1872.thumb.jpg.4f050313d6a2a2588d441235967d94f3.jpg

DSCN1896.thumb.jpg.df52cefdc5e3d5a8e4405ae52d4be37b.jpg

DSCN1887.thumb.jpg.1128f631d2478c613862c0b81ed023c7.jpg

DSCN1851.thumb.JPG.b3952a6e0d7ba7013a5d005b93baf532.JPG

Coffee break in town and some of Portugal's best 

DSCN1910.thumb.JPG.43d41a0daaab959d15b523fbd179ccde.JPG

DSCN1918.thumb.jpg.ecca7cde6412d5393e7099930539e89e.jpg

Cascais 

IMG_5413.thumb.JPG.0012a1f2f9a4d71b89ae7fa944c68b14.JPG

IMG_5405.thumb.JPG.f6922b2a5db66401bbe332523ccb8c33.JPG

DSCN1934.thumb.JPG.1626be6f1a20fed545aa6272c6c0cb09.JPG

The man I was named after , my Patron Saint , Saint Anthony 

DSCN1935.thumb.jpg.09038fd02dfdd83109744ec7d8565748.jpg

DSCN1931.thumb.JPG.66b5732c750bc1d4d1397949efdaead9.JPG

Time to go back to Lisbon and after a visit to the Cathedral to go back Home to the Prinsendam  

DSCN1942.thumb.jpg.246c217b025eed24100249eec73b0919.jpg

DSCN1945.thumb.jpg.cf4c31789ea4f2bfd8ed2c6c19c767c0.jpg

DSCN1956.thumb.JPG.359a032ad24ca42a53a2f7202a76d020.JPG

Back on board was not until 8 pm so we had time to shoot some nice pictures in a beautiful light from the sun going down  slowly .

DSCN1962.thumb.JPG.5160cd6a724915e43278d42b735eedac.JPG

DSCN1964.thumb.JPG.76e9998177b8f906124f2bcee1dd781e.JPG

Have a great day everybody . Take Care and Stay Safe !  Thank you to all the contributors who are keeping this thread going 

Tony 😅
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Just a few pictures of a wonderful evening that Jacqui  @kazu had set up for a good size group at Senior Fado in Lisbon in 2019 while on the Prinsendam .

image.thumb.jpeg.53e9ff9f5da9f929a5c9c2d0e4fa2bc8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.16dcdda2aaa003b7720454e8d71a7383.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0db8aa97eeed8506095cf0f6ef5a8009.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.11ec4e477e74bafb797f7f15e0dad883.jpeg

Jacqui and Jose near the fantastic performers after having had a delicious meal .
If in Lisbon I can recommend Sr Fado but book very early , there is limited space and it fills up fast !

Tony 😄
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Just a few pictures of a wonderful evening that Jacqui  @kazu had set up for a good size group at Senior Fado in Lisbon in 2019 while on the Prinsendam .

image.thumb.jpeg.11ec4e477e74bafb797f7f15e0dad883.jpeg

Jacqui and Jose near the fantastic performers after having had a delicious meal .
If in Lisbon I can recommend Sr Fado but book very early , there is limited space and it fills up fast !
\

Jose has the “look” on his face when he is getting enchanted and drawn by the music.  thanks Tony ♥️

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We had a lovely dinner in Tamarind tonight.  Even with skipping dessert, almost unheard of for me, I'm stuffed.  Dixie @summer slope and her DH George stopped by our table to say hello.  It's been nice meeting other Dailyites this cruise.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good evening. 

The movers and the supervisor were here (he was standing in for my job contractor). Everything got moved. The supervisor was a very polite young man. After the rugs and furniture were moved, there was all manner of dust under them (embarrassing). The mover guys swept, but it still looked bad. The supervisor said he wanted to wipe down all the wood, and he did, including the floor. That was above and beyond! A little while ago my contractor called and the floors will be done tomorrow, then left to thoroughly dry until Monday. I had planned to go to the grocery store in the AM, but he wants to come early to move the radiator (I don't know how, when 3 guys today couldn't due to its weight). It sounds like a couple of inches of snow here tomorrow night, unless they're wrong like last time.

@bennybear Thanks for the great photos. Like @StLouisCruisers I was also in Sintra, Cascais, Obidos.and Fatima.

@kazu Thanks for the different take on a visit to Lisbon. 

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you had a good day. I certainly hope you get to see Lisbon on your October cruise.

Vanessa, it sounds like you hit the jackpot with the contractor.

Lenda

• Like 10