The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 15th, 2024

kazu

Today is Annoy Squidward Day, International Angelman Day, and International Childhood Cancer Awareness Day

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.--Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Meal Suggestion for today - How To Make a Colorful Crudite Platter
Drink of the Day - Penicillin
Wine of the Day - 2021 Sauvignon Blanc, Bundschuh, Emil Bauer & Sohne, Pfalz
Destination of the Day - Lisbon, Portugal

Today in History:
399 BC Philosopher Socrates is sentenced to death by the city of Athens for corrupting the minds of the youth of the city and for impiety
2001 First draft of the complete human genome is published in the journal "Nature"
2005 YouTube, Internet site on which videos may be shared and viewed by others, is launched in the United States

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 10:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 02-16

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Nassau, Bahamas, New Providence Island eta 02-16

Nieuw Statendam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00 

Oosterdam

Cruising Chilean Fjords 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 02-16

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Key West, Florida eta 02-16

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 13:00 - 23:00 

Volendam

Fremantle, Perth, Western Australia 08:00 - 

Westerdam

Shimizu, Japan Shizuoka 10:00 - 18:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Guam Island USA, Apra Harbor, Marianas eta 02-

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

1Angelcat’s friend Lynda’s graveside service

Nickelpenny driving to CA – safe travels

Smitty34877’s Tana being treated for infection

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Death of 5 Marines in a helicopter crash

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Lazey1 with mitral stenosis, pulmonary edema; may need surgery

Atexsix’s DD now in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Mister 67!

Cruzincari, welcome to the Daily

RMLincoln’s DH Richard dealing day to day after his eye procedure 

Superoma/Kochleffel covering the Daily meal and drink recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Mr. Boston (Rotterdam Feb 16 to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer

2 days for Nickelpenny (Zaandam Feb 17 to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer

2 days for Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape Feb 17 to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic

5 days for USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn Feb 20 to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei

Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Feb 16) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, summer slope(Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Dfish & Sue (Koningsdam to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista to Feb 18) 11d Windward Islands Explorer + 7d Tropical Retreats, Quilty964 (Nieuw Statendam to Feb 18) 7d E. Caribbean, 0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  We are expecting some snow overnight, supposed to be an inch or two.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds like work but I’ll decide after I review pictures and recipes.  I’m not sure what we are having tonight.  I’m working a half day today so that I can go to the dentist for my six month cleaning and check up. I was surprised this morning that my federal refund posted to my account, I filed on Sunday.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.5403d6d1a15bb7a5f0d079708eac88f5.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 9

Good morning and thank you to all contributers to the daily and fleet reports.

It is currently raining and 52°F.

3 important days today.

We have been to Lisbon several times including November 2023 and January 2024 on P&O Iona.

I said prayers 🙏 for the daily care list in church yesterday.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240215_112406.jpg

Screenshot_20240215_112508.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 15

Good morning. 

We've got a weather advisory - heavy snow and high winds heading our way.  We could get 15cm (6 in) of snow today.  I think I'll stay home.

I don't know what Squidward is or why we should annoy it.  I also don't know what Angelman is or why it needs a day.  But I am aware of childhood cancer and hope we can eradicate it.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, I'm going to put a beef roast in the slow cooker.

My hubby likes the Penicillin cocktail, I'll pass.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I haven't been to today's port, but would love.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Happy Thursday everyone and thanks to Rich, Roy, Ann, Vanessa, Eva & Paul for your much appreciated contributions.  

I’ll pass on Squidward Day - not celebrating something from Sponge Bob.  International Childhood Cancer Awareness needs to be every day.  So sad to see young people victims of this evil 😔 

IMG_1550.webp.59d59f4241cc22863c87adb1efe4605c.webp

I like the quote and a crudite platter sounds yummy.  And a WHITE wine 👏 I hope it’s affordable 🤞 DD DH and I always enjoyed Lisbon.  We often went to our favourite Fado house to enjoy and loved exploring and learning the history & culture.

IMG_2130.thumb.jpeg.82926f2e96b8068900ba398d34aa1809.jpeg

It’s been a busy week with appointments.  Today is Ivan’s - he’s off to be groomed, beautified and bathed.  He’s a tad overdue - I didn’t want to try to get him in the SUV when the ribs were really bad in case he wasn’t co-operative (he usually is). And today is the day after Valentine’s Day - we all know the significance of that, right?

IMG_1545.jpeg.0f62ae88c367a4720aed4d1321e1cda2.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Good morning friends!  This morning it is 36F with an expected high of 66 and sunny skies.  Perfect!  If only our nights were a little warmer.🌞

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting Rich's @richwmn's Daily and Fleet Information plus the maps for him.  We appreciate it!  Some really different days celebrated and recognized this date!  Annoy Squidward Day is funny and thanks to Graham @grapau27 for the explanation.  International Angelman Day sounds interesting and I respect the thought behind it.  Childhood Cancer Awareness (and all diseases affecting children) should be respected and honored.  Interesting quote!  That is quite a different menu suggestion and one that might come in handy at our next get together.  What a name for a drink!  No thanks!  🍹 I enjoy Sauvignon Blanc wine and would happily give it a try.  A bad day for Socrates, an important date for science, and YouTube folks must be celebrating today.  Thank you to Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel, and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B reports today.  

Prayers said this morning for those injured and for the woman who died at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade yesterday.  I hope they can determine who the suspects are and they are punished to the fullest extent of the law.  I know how traumatizing events like this can be and it will be a long time before these folks feel safe again.  Prayers too for DB and DGD Morgan, Scott and Bob and their spouses, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held and the U.S. soldiers and sailors at risk in the region.  And of course our many friends here on the Care list in need of prayers and help with their medical issues, personal loss and worry, pain and illness.  Extra prayers and hugs to Vanessa @JazzyV, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Tana and Terry @smitty34877, Jane @lazey1, Maureen @RMLincoln and Richard, Melisa @HAL Sailer and DH just to name a few.  🙏🙏  A cheer from me for those celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and all who are cruising!  🥂  DGD Morgan texted us after her presentation yesterday and said it went quite well.  She is optimistic about it. 🎉  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the great lists each day.  We are so happy you can continue even with all that you are going through.  ❤️

The port today is lovely Lisbon, Portugal.  This was port of the day before on Aug. 10, 2021 and May 8, 2022.  I will post the links next.  Then I'll begin posting photos for myself and Lenda.  However in noting the number of posts from Lenda's photos I'm going to split them up into groups of 2 and not take over the first two pages of the Daily.  I'll give others time to post in between.

Once more FedEx has screwed up delivery of a package to our home.  We ordered some supplies from Sam's Club and they have incredible service, usually getting our packages to us in two days time.  However, they use FedEx and they are the ones who are letting us down.  Yesterday our package was on the truck for delivery.  At 1:45 DH saw the truck go up our cul-de-sac and return down again after making a delivery up the street.  She passed us by.  Last night our tracking said they were unable to deliver OR the business was closed and they will try again the next day.  Wrong!  We are not a business, were home and "open" all day, and they just don't deliver all the packages on the truck!  So I imagine we will get our delivery today, a day late.  This is at least the third time we can remember this happening.  UPS would have delivered until the truck was empty but oh, no, not FedEx!  Shame on them!😠

I will try to not let this aggravation ruin my day!  Hope you all have a good day, too and stay safe and well!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

My photos from Lisbon.

In 2018 we went to Lisbon in both April and September on Prinsendam.  We just couldn't resist the great itineraries on that little ship!  Here is an early morning photo as the ship arrived.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4TLzKwtlfn2r1cJbuOS_X?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The sun was just rising.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLp8wu-EdBdGl3XZ_6-lAyV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

An interesting way to get around Lisbon, these trams.  Aren't they cool?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKhOXDurH5QlTcLazFs0Bqr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Some of the beautiful flowers for sale at one of the squares.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLPzsXrHgZyFHkg1FHbPXkB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The arch at Rossio Square00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzvhuxerIxD3cDUL9tKeYK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We stopped at this wine tasting shop in Rossio Square00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtRyBCFHsKkSfN_sc5HiKN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Automatic dispensers00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLs0wLFDEM_gZqlI24tXkVM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You purchase an electronic card and use it to try wines from these dispensers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ4Fmo6rGmli4iPWKz5aIZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

DH trying a red00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJTDWmd9RbXo6E5L8b2JK72?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_4cUDJwQfVMvEwyuRcmPM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Cheers!🍷

And from 2019.

The tile work in Portugal is known all over the world.  You see it everywhere on the streets and inside the buildings.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2Lqan4pZdZ9q8T4D9RNtm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When wandering around Lisbon you will find interesting wall murals like this one, which takes your eye away from the potholes, patched or not.😉00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL65DKjjQRY2XYnpcxiH6JB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

While visiting a small park I spied this van parked in front of the fire station garage door.  They had to hunt the driver down to move it so they could go out on a call.  Hope it wasn't urgent!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIfQBuLom3VuKMg6tgcaO5u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0KXs2mV_Ti5tkvpLs1VFU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK3ymJgaS81hVZ3HdU6AjXn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We went to the top of a hill (lots of those in Lisbon) and saw these beautiful views.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLn3UMSBUSYIchcT-hdQESJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL3k97K_UPwFCdhfNzBuyDa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKn5I9EolTQhhS8XlHM0dg3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtN_NsZuHIyayqVg03VdT4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKMj4XuhFo-URKNtMZcLtHN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This batch of photos was taken on our April-May 2019 final cruise on Prinsendam.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann/Laurie (hope I got that right), Eva, and Paul.  Thank you to Graham for explaining 2 of the days which left me mystified although I will gladly second Childhood Cancer Awareness.

The Hunger games quote does not really do much for me.  Bon Voyage @MISTER 67.

I've been to Lisbon many times for embarkation, disembarkation, and even as a port of call.

A sad day in ancient history but two very nice recent days.  I'm a bit of a youtube junkie.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Mixed Seasonal Greens, Broiled New York Strip Loin, and Mango Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam February 15, 2019:

dishes15.jpg

Just realized this is also Hump Day for February.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for sharing our maps. I am a very visual person and the maps help me really understand each ship’s location. 

It is quite a bit warmer this morning and it looks like a real cloud cover out there. Yesterday was lovely, but so busy. I survived. 

Vanessa, I am just going to send a (((hug))) after reading what the Doctor said. And keep praying. Hard. I won’t be here, when you go for the procedure, but if there is any internet available to me - I will check next week. Thank you for still taking care of our lists, and being such an amazing part of our community in spite of it all. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & starting to pack unwrinkables. That should keep me busy. 

IMG_2597.jpeg.2d50bd265392f50dbc5217fb89ce004d.jpeg

IMG_2594.jpeg.8d0ecc3846313921691e5e9e348bcc76.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg.53be7442e92acd618e91ce1bd01b2332.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg.87e6c96f84608cf3e6ff7b4da50162ef.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, trauma and debilitating conditions, or grieving the loss of a loved one. The caretakers. 

Terry, thinking of you & Tana. Always. Praying. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Bon Voyage @MISTER 67

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2021 Sauvignon Blanc, Bundschuh, Emil Bauer & Sohne, Pfalz

A very elusive German wine - unless you live in or are visiting Europe. It sounds lovely and refreshing for a hot day. I will say the vintners have some wild names for some of their wines. 😎 If you can find it, it will cost about $19.00. 

$19.00

Distributor notes

When brothers Alexander & Martin took over the family estate in 2011 they wanted to show German wines in a new light.

Their controversial names and labels of course captured people’s attention and their wines have even featured pit-side at the German Grand Prix! The Bundschuh’ is a 500-year-old symbol of the rural peasants’ uprising to claim their independence from the feudal system. Behind the fun and poignant labels are fab wines, and you’d be forgiven for thinking this German Sauvignon Blanc is from New Zealand.

Tasting notes: passion fruit, lime. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the daily reports.  Penicillin used to be a special cocktail on HA but no more since they no longer stock Laphroaig Scotch.  Thanks for the beautiful pictures of Lisbon.  

@JazzyVthank you for the cares and celebrations reports.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine.  

A cool morning in Nassau.  Last time I was here was 31 years ago for my 40th birthday celebration on some Norwegian ship.  I still wear my watch that I bought to celebrate that milestone.  We may take the ferry to Paradise Island and we definitely need hairspray.  Have a wonderful day!  Nancy 

• Like 23

Good Morning from the foggy Chilean fjords.  Thought I’d post a few pictures of the National Tile Museum in Lisbon.  The museum is set in Madre de Deus Convent, founded in 1509 and its collections allow a journey through the history of tile, from 15th century till present days.IMG_6209.thumb.jpeg.020ecdbfa42e02c1dbadd604f06fdd45.jpeg

IMG_6201.thumb.jpeg.4931448b2b63472bc71638363b9fca32.jpegCraftsmen go into churches and homes that are about to be demolished and remove the tiles.  They are cleaned in a workshop and prepared for display.IMG_6212.thumb.jpeg.01d1b1b1d812fcb84fd00a20bfbfda6d.jpeg

My DH owned a tile company which was why we selected this museum.IMG_6203.thumb.jpeg.80c1a5362c750db907ce38e967516677.jpeg

IMG_6195.thumb.jpeg.32cca013d15d0db92b9e181b05f7066d.jpegBelonging to the convent, the Madre de Deus church is decorated in full Portuguese baroque splendour, with gilded and carved wood, paintings and tile panels.IMG_6206.thumb.jpeg.188cdf31274a12de72639eb9425ec56b.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10