Lounge Use by Non-Drinker

NotMakingWaves

Hi All. I am headed on a Princess Cruise to Alaska in a few months. I am not a drinker and will be happy with the tea, coffee, iced tea and just water included in the standard fare. My question relates to how this works when being in one of the many lounges, as I expect to enjoy many if not all of them for relaxation and music. Am I correct that I am welcome in the lounges even if not ordering any alcoholic beverages? Am I able to order an included iced tea or a regular coffee in a lounge, or do I have to bring my own after picking it up in the buffet area? Thanks in advance!

Just now, NotMakingWaves said:

Hi All. I am headed on a Princess Cruise to Alaska in a few months. I am not a drinker and will be happy with the tea, coffee, iced tea and just water included in the standard fare. My question relates to how this works when being in one of the many lounges, as I expect to enjoy many if not all of them for relaxation and music. Am I correct that I am welcome in the lounges even if not ordering any alcoholic beverages? Am I able to order an included iced tea or a regular coffee in a lounge, or do I have to bring my own after picking it up in the buffet area? Thanks in advance!

100% you're welcome anywhere aboard regardless of purchasing a beverage - alcohol or non-alcoholic - or not. 

You can participate in the activities, listen to the music, dance or just relax in any of the lounges whether you buy a drink or not.

Buying a drink is not a requirement of lounge use. 

You can order a glass of water at any bar or lounge.. coffee or ice tea may be limited in some bars/lounges3, but you can order via app ($14.99 one time activation fee) or you can bring a cup oe glass with you from wherever you get it.. 

10 minutes ago, NotMakingWaves said:

Not a problem.  You can enjoy entertainment anywhere on the ship and not have to use bar services, nor consume anything. There may be an exception for the new entertainment place Spellbound on SUN that is a combination experience and some sort of food and drink.  

ETA:  Even though you may have paid for a drink or drinks as part of experiential dining, doesn't mean you have to consume the alcohol drinks.

Edited by Steelers36

Thank you for your replies. I am reminded me of another question I have, about OceanNow. A person just has to pay $14.99 one time, and then they can use the app to have food and drink brought to them wherever they are? Is that correct? I find it confusing as it sounds like there is a $5 charge for delivery to the cabin. Thanks again. If it makes a difference, I am sailing on the Grand Princess to Alaska.

5 minutes ago, NotMakingWaves said:

Thank you for your replies. I am reminded me of another question I have, about OceanNow. A person just has to pay $14.99 one time, and then they can use the app to have food and drink brought to them wherever they are? Is that correct? I find it confusing as it sounds like there is a $5 charge for delivery to the cabin. Thanks again. If it makes a difference, I am sailing on the Grand Princess to Alaska.

Correct. (Assuming Standard fare, no Cruise Packages).

One time $14.99 Ocean Now activation and you can use it to order food and drinks for delivery anywhere around the ship including cabin delivery (no additional charge for cabin delivery)

The $5 room service delivery fee is for orders placed using your room phone.  Use the app and bypass the $5 phone charge. 

Breakfast is included no additional charges when using the door hanger.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Breakfast is included no additional charges when using the door hanger.. 

This is an excellent point that many who are new to Princess don't know about. One can also write in items not on the hang tag and they are "usually" accommodated. I wouldn't get too wild with additions but most reasonable requests seem to be granted.

• Like 3

While sitting at any bar, the server will come by to ask you if you want anything.  You can ask for water but any other "buffet/MDR free drinks) will come with a cost. If nothing is ordered, server will leave a coaster on your table to notify others that you prefer not to drink.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can also bring with you a reusable cup. It makes it easier to carry drinks from the buffet and not be concerned about the expense. 
Especially useful for Hot Drinks in an Alaska sailing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

While sitting at any bar, the server will come by to ask you if you want anything.  You can ask for water but any other "buffet/MDR free drinks) will come with a cost. If nothing is ordered, server will leave a coaster on your table to notify others that you prefer not to drink.

There have been many times where my wife and I have an empty bar napkin on the table before each of us as we declined a drink when the server came around. Of course there have also bee many times when my wife had an empty bar napkin on the table before her and I had one with a drink on it...😉

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 11:59 AM, Steelers36 said:

Not a problem.  You can enjoy entertainment anywhere on the ship and not have to use bar services, nor consume anything. There may be an exception for the new entertainment place Spellbound on SUN that is a combination experience and some sort of food and drink.  

ETA:  Even though you may have paid for a drink or drinks as part of experiential dining, doesn't mean you have to consume the alcohol drinks.

At least for Chef's Table, which is an experiential dining option which I love, you can choose the non-alcohol option for a reduced price.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 10:54 AM, NotMakingWaves said:

Nobody cares.

My experience over the past year is that half the people sitting in lounges are drinking bottled water.