Celebrity Eclipse vs. MSC Seashore vs. Carnival Mardi Gras

Gopropak

We are regular cruisers annually until this year.  As of this date we have already cruised 2x since the 2nd week of January.  We currently annually cruise on Royal Carribean, but last week we tried MSC, Meravilgia, for the first time.  We were a bit spectacle because of all the negative comments about MSC, but we actually loved our cruise. (we are not fussy people when it comes to travel)

The question is, we are in the process of trying to book another cruise for July.  We are considering the Celebrity Eclipse, MSC Seasore or the Carnival Mardi Gras. 

We have never cruised with Celebrity so I am a little spectacle because of things I am reading.  We are mid 50s but still love lots of shows and activities.  I also tend to like a newer ship.  From everything I am ready about the Celebrity Eclipse it sounds beautiful, but very low energy, which is great for some but not for us.  We are not drinkers, but we like things to do all day. 

Can anyone shine any light on Celebrity?  I know that it is more luxurious, but I am not ready for a super low key cruise....yet. 

Thanks!

Here's the main difference:  RCCL's primary target demographics is families with children.  As you are aware, in particular with their mega ships, they are like floating amusement parks with the different activities an venues.  They have excellent entertainment as a result with the Aqua Theater, Ice Show, and (on many ships) the Broadway shows.

Celebrity's primary target demographics is adults 50+. As such they have none of the amusement park activities and venues and their entertainment is primarily ship staff shows, headliners, and different musicians around the ship.  A much more adult focused, pure cruise atmosphere.  But they do not roll up the sidewalks early.  

Basically polar opposites cruise lines.

IMO the food (which I realize is very subjective) is a little better on Celebrity and they have several very good specialty restaurants.

When our family was young we cruised with RCCL for all of the above reasons.  Now that they are all adults, we typically prefer Celebrity for the opposite reasons.

Their Solstice and Edge class ships are our choice of preference, with Edge having Eden, which is very similar to Two70 on RCCL Quantum class ships.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Celebrity is. Ore laid back than Carnival and MSC.  Unless perhaps you sail on an Edge class ship, which I have not done.  I enjoyed Seashore, and there were more things to do at night than I could fit in.  I have sailed a lot of Carnival, but am, of interested in the new huge ships as I am a super senior.  Too far to walk…EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopropak said:

Can anyone shine any light on Celebrity?  I know that it is more luxurious, but I am not ready for a super low key cruise....yet. 

We, too, regularly cruise Royal Caribbean.  It's been a while since we cruised Celebrity, but we have Edge booked later this year.  We've cruise Solstice Class a few times, including Eclipse, and we loved it!  The Solstice Class ships are beautiful and to this day, remain some of our favorite ships on which we have cruised.  

I typically recommend RCI for families, and Celebrity for couples.  Like leaveitallbehind said, the two lines are very different, but great in their own regard.  

Never cruised MSC so can't comment.  Can't really comment on Carnival either since I still have not yet wanted to venture back after one cruise with them.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gopropak said:

Thanks!

We were on the MSC Meraviglia for a short cruise last year and thought it was great. Lots of drinking, though, but the passengers were all St. Patrick's Day friendly. We had just gotten off the MSC Divina and were very disappointed with our fellow passengers and the food. So, MSC can vary widely.

We just got off our second Celebrity cruise. Our first was last year's TA, and we thought it was near perfect.

We also are not drinkers, and that is what the majority of many cruisers on all the cruise lines are all about. We are more active seniors, dancing, games, etc. The 10-day Celebrity was pretty dead in the evening, and most cruisers were above age 70. I thought it was like HAL.  Nice people, but they just sat around the lounges, didn't move much, and enjoyed their beverage package. The general feeling about MSC with Celebrity fans is very negative. Their opinions were "what they heard from others" not their own experience. The food on this Celebrity cruise was like what I expected on MSC, but the cost of the cruise was double.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

We just got off our second Celebrity cruise. Our first was last year's TA, and we thought it was near perfect.

The 10-day Celebrity was pretty dead in the evening, and most cruisers were above age 70. I thought it was like HAL.  Nice people, but they just sat around the lounges, didn't move much, and enjoyed their beverage package.

I think the older demographics may likely relate to the cruise length as TA's and 10 day+ typically attracts older, retired people without kids to worry about as they are more likely to have the time and $ to take these cruises.  And IMO many cruise lines with these itineraries would likely start to approach HAL as a result.  (No disrespect intended for HAL cruisers).

We did an 11 day partial transpacific repositioning cruise in 2019 (Hawaii - Vancouver) with RCCL that fit those demographics v the typical RCCL family cruises.  There were also 600+ higher tier loyalty members on board as well for the same reasons.  Talk about drinkers.....LOL.

Again, good feedback!

• Like 1