Could something be wrong with cruise?

latebuyer

I note the spring 2025 pacific coastal cruise is about 40% cheaper than fall 2025. Could there-be something wrong with the cruise or is it just the time of year its going. Also an older ship the sapphire princess.

My guess is supply and demand based on school and college breaks. But since you weren't specific about dates, it will have to be just that, a guess. Pricing by demand.

Also, by your wording we're left to think you're on the same ship, the Sapphire. Why would the ships age make a difference in price, if it's the same ship both sailings? 

I noticed the same on the 11 day Mexican Riviera cruises out of San Francisco on The Ruby.  Starting basic inside fare for October 2024 is $817 while the same cruise in January 2025 is $677.  Im guessing it’s the weather.  I love cruising in the  fall versus January.  Im holding out for a last minute price drop or special rates for California residents.  

Is the Fall cruise you are referencing October 8? If so, it’s likely more expensive because it’s a special wine and food cruise. See link:

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/09/sip-and-sail-with-two-specially-themed-pacific-coast-wine-and-food-experience-cruises-onboard-discovery-princess-and-sapphire-princess.html

If the May date works for you and is a better deal it’s a lovely time of year to cruise the coast. 

• Like 1

It's a one way repositioning cruise. Nothing is wrong with it. It just isn't a popular itinerary at that time of year. It may be cool. Princess has to get the ship to Vancouver for the Alaska season. Not tropical if that is what you are looking for. In reality if the ship is under booked be happy about it. Less people. 

We did a wine country coastal cruise from LA to Vancouver that same week about 10 years ago.  Maybe we just lucked out but the weather was great in almost every port (Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Astoria, Seattle and Vancouver IIRC) with just clouds in Santa Barbara and a bit chilly sailing into San Francisco Bay but the day warmed up and was sunny.  It was a great cruise.

• Like 1

Good choice.  If you stop in any of the same ports we did I can recommend the following excursions:  Santa Barbara - whale watching, San Francisco - Sonoma vineyards, Astoria - Mt. St. Helens (one of our favorite excursions ever), Seattle - easy to Do It Yourself, Victoria (I left that off the earlier list) - Buchart Gardens, and the entire city of Vancouver (one of my favorites).

2 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone! To me the price makes it worth it if weather is cooler. I think of california as hot but i guess it isn’t always.

No definitely not always, especially along the coast even in the middle of summer. But you can pretty much count on no rain in May so it will generally be pleasant even it it's a little cool in the mornings and evenings, and the ports you are visiting are beautiful and have a lot to offer. Enjoy!!