Changing Cabin Mate

Tamjo

We cruise in 3 weeks.  We booked over a year ago.  It's a family cruise with siblings and my parents.  Several months ago my husband was diagnosed with Lymphoma.  We've been upfront with doctors from the beginning about our travel plans.  Drs want patients to keep living their lives so we haven't canceled our cruise.  Husband started treatment 6 weeks ago and it has not been going to plan.  He's been extremely sick will really low levels of hemoglobin & platelets requiring 2 transfusions per week.  If things don't turn around for him soon I don't think he should be traveling with us. 

So that leads to my question.  When we first booked the cruise we didn't purchase insurance.  Once he got his diagnosis I purchased insurance only on him with the thought that if he can't go I'll still go.  Online check-in starts next week.  I'm wondering if I should wait to do online check-in in case he won't be able to go with me?  And since he's insured what's the possibility of me adding a friend to go with me instead of him?  Anybody have any thoughts/experience with something like this?

Doubtful travel insurance will be of any use here as this sounds like a pre-existing condition, but you could call your travel insurance agent or underwriter for clarification on that.

If you want to change out who is in your cabin, you can call Carnival and ask about the fee. I think it's $250 per person, but I am not certain. And it may be more now that you're so close to sailing.

Your insurance at that point was probably a waste of money. To have pre-existing conditions covered, you need to purchase within a week or two (depending on the policy) of initial deposit for them to be covered. At the time you bought the insurance, his Lymphoma would be considered a pre-existing condition.

Carnival will usually allow the change of a passenger, but there is a fee.

And as an added caveat to a pre existing condition that condition must be stable for a certain period of time as stated in the policy.  That means that no treatment will be initiated or that the condition does not necessitated a change in treatment.

Unless you paid for a very expensive policy that would allow for a recent cancer diagnosis and active treatment to be covered, your insurance probably will not be useful.