New MSC Cruisers

jdevine

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping people can assist me. We are going to be cruising on MSC at the end of April in the Mediterranean. I am hoping everyone can help. What are things you wish you knew about MSC? Are there things I should be doing to make this the best cruise? We are 2 rooms totaling 6 people (3 adults, 18- Boy, 15-boy, 12-boy) We usually cruise Carnival if that helps. 

Thank you in advance. 

Joe

Don t miss she shows in the theater in the evenings.

Have your breakfast in the restaurant and not in the buffet. The buffet is to crowdy.

Order coffee for early coffee and crussant to enjoy on the balcony.
It s fantastic to sit there and see comming to a new harbour.

Enjoy your Cruise.

51 minutes ago, jdevine said:

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping people can assist me. We are going to be cruising on MSC at the end of April in the Mediterranean. I am hoping everyone can help. What are things you wish you knew about MSC? Are there things I should be doing to make this the best cruise? We are 2 rooms totaling 6 people (3 adults, 18- Boy, 15-boy, 12-boy) We usually cruise Carnival if that helps. 

Thank you in advance. 

Joe

Realize that there will be some differences between MSC & Carnival - MSC has fewer complimentary dining options (usually just the buffet or main dining room on most ships), MSC has passengers boarding and debarking at each port on the Mediterranean itineraries, wash cloths & top sheets on the beds are usually not provided (but can be requested), the menus will feature more seafood & pasta and less red meat & potatoes than Carnival, MSC does not have a separate comedy club and may not have a comedian on any night in the theater. These aren’t meant as negatives, just pointing out differences to expect so you aren’t surprised / disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Preziosa said:

Don t miss she shows in the theater in the evenings.

Have your breakfast in the restaurant and not in the buffet. The buffet is to crowdy.

Order coffee for early coffee and crussant to enjoy on the balcony.
It s fantastic to sit there and see comming to a new harbour.

Enjoy your Cruise.

Do you have to prebook the shows in the theater?

27 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Realize that there will be some differences between MSC & Carnival - MSC has fewer complimentary dining options (usually just the buffet or main dining room on most ships), MSC has passengers boarding and debarking at each port on the Mediterranean itineraries, wash cloths & top sheets on the beds are usually not provided (but can be requested), the menus will feature more seafood & pasta and less red meat & potatoes than Carnival, MSC does not have a separate comedy club and may not have a comedian on any night in the theater. These aren’t meant as negatives, just pointing out differences to expect so you aren’t surprised / disappointed. 

I appreciate it any insight thats why I figured I would ask. I want to know what to expect before hand. 

15 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Which ship are you going to be on?

Which "experience" did you book?

We are going on the MSC Grandiosa and the experience is the fantastica. 

43 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Do you have a loyalty status with Carnival?  If so, have you applied for a status match?

You will be assigned a dinner time and table.  

Yes, I am Platinum on Carnival. I will have to apply for the match. 

5 hours ago, jdevine said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance. 

Joe

Use a TA!!

If something goes wrong you will find a TA invaluable.

Costs you nothing and you probably can get a kickback as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Use a TA!!

If something goes wrong you will find a TA invaluable.

Costs you nothing and you probably can get a kickback as well.

I should have went this route, but I’m already booked and leaving in 70 days. So now I’m just trying to learn everything I can. 

14 hours ago, Preziosa said:

You have to prebook on the ship if you Will Be sure to have a Seat.

5 min before the shows They fill up with guests who did not prebook

Thanks that’s definitely something I’m not used to having to do. 

17 hours ago, jdevine said:

Do you have to prebook the shows in the theater?

We booked on the ship (MSC Meraviglia) at the screens.  Super easy. The screens are all over the ship.  This one was in the hallway on our cabin floor (deck 13).

Go with an open mind and no expectations and you will have a fabulous time.  We’ve sailed Carnival and all the others.  First time on MSC.  I’m finishing up my review on another thread if you haven’t seen it yet.

IMG_3523.thumb.jpeg.a092f337f2e0ef7415118dc8dadbbfd9.jpeg

• Like 1

We will be behind you by a few weeks (mid-May) on the Grandiosa.  (Hope you will post a review when you return!!) My status match request got me a Gold status on MSC, just FYI.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:04 PM, jdevine said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance. 

Joe

Hi Joe

MSC has these kind of rates:

- Experiencia Bella. You cannot choose time for dinner

- Experiencia Fantastica. You can choose time for dinner. Everyday will be same MDR, same table, same time

- Experiencia Aurea. You can choose and book each time dinner with an app. Absolutely flexible

- Yatch club. There are no times. You can just go when you want without booking.

In YOUR case, Experiencia Fantastica, choose one time and it will be the same for all the cruise.

It is important to have a look to your card asap to check time is correct (when embarking first day). If it is not, go to the restaurant asap to correct it.

In addition, there are some extras you can choose with Fantastica, not too many but.... one of them is free delivery for breakfast in your room

On 2/16/2024 at 7:04 PM, jdevine said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance. 

Joe

About MSC, I would let you read hundreds of questions&answers posted here

About European cruises, there would be some niceties.

- there will be multi embarking ports. This is, it doesn't matter where you will embark for first day. Next day surely there will be people who disembark and people who embark again in that port. It has some advantages and disadvantages. For example, only 25% of people will embark at the same time. It is easier by far, but you will hear all the days embarking news for new passengers

- it is a fact, MSC cruises will use six languages and the order in that cruise will be according of passengers origin. There are people who doesn't mind, who find it annoying and who find it a different way to feel they have traveled ago. Each one has its own opinion

- People who has traveled in MSC in several continents say dinning portions may be smaller in Europe than in Caribe. But... second entree is free in Europe (5$ extra in Caribe if you ask a second entree). This is... you can ask extra entrees as many as you want.

- Spectacles must be booked. You do not book a seat but just to entry into. Five minutes before all no-shows are gone and all people without booking will entry. It is not because Europe but because MSC. Seats.... first to come, first to seat

- Spectacles will have not any dialogues, or the minimum ones. They will be based on dancing, magic, music or whatever without dialogues (because.... try to choose one dialogue that could be understood by everyone)

And... ANYTHING you want about Barcelona, please, ask...

I have posted some information (in the Ports information area) that hope it helps... and anything extra... really, just ask for it

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fergus said:

We will be behind you by a few weeks (mid-May) on the Grandiosa.  (Hope you will post a review when you return!!) My status match request got me a Gold status on MSC, just FYI.

Not sure I will do a full trip report, but I will make sure you know how the ship is when I get back. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alserrod said:

Hi Joe

MSC has these kind of rates:

- Experiencia Bella. You cannot choose time for dinner

- Experiencia Fantastica. You can choose time for dinner. Everyday will be same MDR, same table, same time

- Experiencia Aurea. You can choose and book each time dinner with an app. Absolutely flexible

- Yatch club. There are no times. You can just go when you want without booking.

In YOUR case, Experiencia Fantastica, choose one time and it will be the same for all the cruise.

It is important to have a look to your card asap to check time is correct (when embarking first day). If it is not, go to the restaurant asap to correct it.

In addition, there are some extras you can choose with Fantastica, not too many but.... one of them is free delivery for breakfast in your room

Thanks for the information. We selected early seating, so I will make sure it is correct when we get on the boat. Do they do formal nights and just how formal is it. I know each cruise line seems to be getting more casual even on a formal evening. 

17 hours ago, alserrod said:

About MSC, I would let you read hundreds of questions&answers posted here

About European cruises, there would be some niceties.

- there will be multi embarking ports. This is, it doesn't matter where you will embark for first day. Next day surely there will be people who disembark and people who embark again in that port. It has some advantages and disadvantages. For example, only 25% of people will embark at the same time. It is easier by far, but you will hear all the days embarking news for new passengers

- it is a fact, MSC cruises will use six languages and the order in that cruise will be according of passengers origin. There are people who doesn't mind, who find it annoying and who find it a different way to feel they have traveled ago. Each one has its own opinion

- People who has traveled in MSC in several continents say dinning portions may be smaller in Europe than in Caribe. But... second entree is free in Europe (5$ extra in Caribe if you ask a second entree). This is... you can ask extra entrees as many as you want.

- Spectacles must be booked. You do not book a seat but just to entry into. Five minutes before all no-shows are gone and all people without booking will entry. It is not because Europe but because MSC. Seats.... first to come, first to seat

- Spectacles will have not any dialogues, or the minimum ones. They will be based on dancing, magic, music or whatever without dialogues (because.... try to choose one dialogue that could be understood by everyone)

And... ANYTHING you want about Barcelona, please, ask...

I have posted some information (in the Ports information area) that hope it helps... and anything extra... really, just ask for it

Alserrod: Thank you again for all the information this is great. The only question I had on your post was the six languages part. Not sure what you mean but this. 

Also, This will be the our first time in Barcelona do you have any must-sees or eat while we are in port? We do not have an excursion booked at this point yet. 

1 hour ago, jdevine said:

Thanks for the information. We selected early seating, so I will make sure it is correct when we get on the boat. Do they do formal nights and just how formal is it. I know each cruise line seems to be getting more casual even on a formal evening. 

There will surely be

- 1 gala night

- 1 white night (to dress full with white clothes)

- 1 fancy night

- 4 casual