AT&T Cruise Package

copper004

Does none have experience with the AT&T Cruise package? I just discovered it while planning for a cruise. It is obviously for AT&T customers. It offers unlimited text and talk with 1gb of data for 30 days while ON the ship for $100 usd. Or, unlimited text, 100 minutes of talk and 100mb of data for $60 for 30 days while ON the ship. The package is for one line, not all your devices . I believe this works independently from any Wi-Fi package on the ship. It seems like a good deal, which makes me cautious. Does anyone have experience with this package and can share any pros or cons? Thanks!

• Like 2

Read about it plenty, never thought it was a better deal than the basic unlimited wifi plan on the ship. 100Mb or 1Gb of data might not be enough, depending on what you plan to use it for.

If you have a longer cruise (b2b or approaching the 30 day limit) the texting might be tempting, but for "just" a 7 day or so I don't see the value personally. 

• Like 1

I switched to T-Mobile last year but had AT&T before that.  Before I started upgrading to FAS+ I considered it.  I don't recall the 1 GB package at the time but the 100 MB didn't seem as good a deal as what NCL offered.  

6 hours ago, copper004 said:

Does none have experience with the AT&T Cruise package? I just discovered it while planning for a cruise. It is obviously for AT&T customers. It offers unlimited text and talk with 1gb of data for 30 days while ON the ship for $100 usd. Or, unlimited text, 100 minutes of talk and 100mb of data for $60 for 30 days while ON the ship. The package is for one line, not all your devices . I believe this works independently from any Wi-Fi package on the ship. It seems like a good deal, which makes me cautious. Does anyone have experience with this package and can share any pros or cons? Thanks!

The challenge is that you can blow through the data provided in one long email. Then you are paying by the MB (which is what they want). 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The challenge is that you can blow through the data provided in one long email. Then you are paying by the MB (which is what they want). 

Do you have any idea how long an Emil would be if it was 100mb?  You have no,idea what you are talking about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

Do you have any idea how long an Emil would be if it was 100mb?  You have no,idea what you are talking about.

Your premise is generally correct, unless you are trying to send images as attachments...or upload them to something like Dropbox.  Any more, unless you know how to change image resolution to 72dpi, you might be working with 3-5mb files.  If you send 10 of those, you are using a third to half your allotment. 

Not an unlikely scenario if you don't know what you are doing.

I'm on AT&T...I looked at the $100 package but opted for the "International Day Pass" instead.  For any foreign port that I choose, I simply turn off airplane mode and I have full voice/text/data for that 24 hours for only $10.  We *rarely* visit more than about 5 or 6 foreign ports...so it ends up cheaper for us.

You can't isolate your data to just the email or whatever you want to do. Once you connect your phone, you are transferring all sorts of data that you have little control over. You can limit it somewhat by disabling background data. It's worse when you haven't connected for some time.  Also you almost always end up using more data for doing the same thing you would do at home because the connection is worse. There's a lot more failures and retries. 

Does anyone know if they just use wifi for the data connection or it's going out some other way? If it is, the connection could be worse than the satellite wifi.

The international day pass is the way to go. Cant be beat for $10/day while in port, especially since you don’t get charged unless you actually use it. plus many Caribbean ports are covered as part of your domestic plan. In interested in seeing how much better Starlink is on the ships. 

3 hours ago, geneticfreak said:

The international day pass is the way to go. Cant be beat for $10/day while in port, especially since you don’t get charged unless you actually use it. plus many Caribbean ports are covered as part of your domestic plan. In interested in seeing how much better Starlink is on the ships. 

The challenge is that you need to be very very careful to turn off roaming (airplane mode) when on the ship. Every time. Otherwise you’re paying your cell carrier’s international roaming rate. 

I have done both the International Day pass for $10/day per phone as well as the $50.00 at sea package.  Since we get internet minutes included in our cruise package I find that to be a better deal.  We did buy extra minutes for my husband since he is not always careful about closing out the app.  But I will not do that AT and T package when we cruise in October.  Just the NCL package and the day pass.

THe At&T $50 at sea package is good for "just at sea", not in port. The "International package" for $10 per day is for "in port only".  So if you want continuous connection to the outside world you need "both" packages. I did this last May on Prima and it worked out well.