Spotting the northern lights

Boylergirl

I’m planning on taking an Alaskan cruise from Seattle up to Skagway in October. I would really love to see the northern lights and was wondering how much luck others have had in spotting them on similar trips? This year is supposed to be a peak year for solar activity and it looks like the moon should be under the horizon for much of the night, although I know that does not help with light the ship puts out. Anyways, do you guys have any tips or tricks for seeing them from a cruise ship? 

Thanks in advance!

Get off the ship.  You might get be able to see them from your balcony if your neighbors turn off their balcony lights, but the light pollution from the cruise ship is terrible.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Get off the ship.  You might get be able to see them from your balcony if your neighbors turn off their balcony lights, but the light pollution from the cruise ship is terrible.  

+1

Also, don't depend on someone else to tell you the lights are out. If they're really that important ...... you should be out every viable night from 12-2am

What Bottom Dragger said, although I would have said 10pm to first light.  Unless you are on an expedition ship, don’t ask for a call from the front desk.  Even if they take down your room number they’ll never call you.

You need clear skies to see the Northern Lights, and that's if there's aurora activity. Since your cruise is through a temperate rain forest, you chances for clear skies is low. If you want to see northern lights, fly to Fairbanks in early March

Edited by AKStafford

Out of 16 nights cruising in September I’ve seen them one night and missed one night. They were not impressive but if you have an iPhone take pictures since they actually show up better in picture than IRL. The best way I could describe what we saw was like a glow over a city but there was no city. But hey I saw them for the 4th time in my life so it still counts.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 6:53 PM, Boylergirl said:

I’m planning on taking an Alaskan cruise from Seattle up to Skagway in October. I would really love to see the northern lights and was wondering how much luck others have had in spotting them on similar trips? This year is supposed to be a peak year for solar activity and it looks like the moon should be under the horizon for much of the night, although I know that does not help with light the ship puts out. Anyways, do you guys have any tips or tricks for seeing them from a cruise ship? 

Thanks in advance!

Forget the cruise, as a pre-requisite is clear skies. They aren't too visible below the usual cloud cover we experience at that time of year.

In 35 yrs working these waters, with tens of thousands of hours on the Bridge at night, I have seen them a couple of times, and they weren't great. To see the NL, fly up to Alaska.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In 35 yrs working these waters, with tens of thousands of hours on the Bridge at night, I have seen them a couple of times, and they weren't great. To see the NL, fly up to Alaska.

Or Norway, Iceland, Sweden, etc.. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Fairbanks is in the middle of the state and has consistently clear skies in the winter unlike Norway and Iceland.

We are off to Norway in a week.  Wish me luck.  I have done aurora in March on a almost 2 week DIY trip.  Spent 3 or 4 days in China.  We had clear skies every night.

DON

• Like 1

21 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We are off to Norway in a week.  Wish me luck.  I have done aurora in March on a almost 2 week DIY trip.  Spent 3 or 4 days in China.  We had clear skies every night.

DON

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much for your replies. I would love to see a (good!) aurora but it sounds like the odds of that aren’t great… Thank you all for your advice!

On 2/20/2024 at 11:09 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

Have a wonderful vacation, donaldsc!!

I am 80 years old, and I've seen NL once in my life from Seattle WA when I was a child. My father woke us up during the night to see. They must have been pretty turbulent to see all the way down to Seattle. He spent 10 years in northern Alaska, so probably saw them and he must have paid attention to the forecast.