Single Supplement

JGCRUISE0507

Just a thought with regards to the crazy single supplement charge. If you booked with 2 people when making the reservation and somehow you just showed up to the pier with just the 1 person what occurs? Do they interrogate you as to where the other passenger is? Most importantly do they do anything with regards to the price of the cruise? Just some background a huge Celebrity Cruises fan been on 23 cruises with the line. Just trying to think outside the box as I do usually travel alone but recently the supplement charge is just crazy. I am seeing if there are any ways around it. I appreciate your valubale input and suggestions.

Thank You!!

3 hours ago, JGCRUISE0507 said:

Just a thought with regards to the crazy single supplement charge. If you booked with 2 people when making the reservation and somehow you just showed up to the pier with just the 1 person what occurs? Do they interrogate you as to where the other passenger is? Most importantly do they do anything with regards to the price of the cruise? Just some background a huge Celebrity Cruises fan been on 23 cruises with the line. Just trying to think outside the box as I do usually travel alone but recently the supplement charge is just crazy. I am seeing if there are any ways around it. I appreciate your valubale input and suggestions.

Thank You!!

I Have about the same X history.

Last month onboard Beyond I was at the Future Cruise desk to book 2 cruises ( I have 8 FC booked)  and complained about the Solo rip off and the Future Cruise Manager said just book for 2 and on arrival say the second guest couldn't make it. I would get a refund of the second guest's taxes and port fees.

I ask if the solo added cost would be added ? His reply was that as All final payments had been made nothing would be added.

Now it will be interesting to see if Celebrities bean counters convince the Legal mumbo jumbo department to make additions to the Cruise Contract to cover the lost revenue ?

Thank you for your comments. My only fear is that they keep track of this or the worst they add the difference to your onboard account. I been many times as single just that the prices look even worse now for singles.

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It’s not fair but Celebrity sets the rules.  You’ve been on two dozen cruises.  Is this your first single?

This has noting to do with things being "Not Fair"  Post Covid the big Demand for cruising has made it possible for cruise lines to make up for profits Lost during the time ships were in Warm layup. Like an airliner sitting on the ground empty a cruise ship parked with no paying guests is not generating revenue and accumulating Debt and upkeep costs. We cruisers are in some ways lucky that the cruise industry Survived Covid.

OK that being said X sees a Solo Guest in a Stateroom that could hold a 2nd.-3rd. or even 4th. missing   guest as Lost profit from the On Board spending, they will Not be getting.

I may Not agree with this logic but I do understand it.

Edited by D. B.
added content.

1 hour ago, D. B. said:

This has noting to do with things being "Not Fair"  Post Covid the big Demand for cruising has made it possible for cruise lines to make up for profits Lost during the time ships were in Warm layup. Like an airliner sitting on the ground empty a cruise ship parked with no paying guests is not generating revenue and accumulating Debt and upkeep costs. We cruisers are in some ways lucky that the cruise industry Survived Covid.

OK that being said X sees a Solo Guest in a Stateroom that could hold a 2nd.-3rd. or even 4th. missing   guest as Lost profit from the On Board spending, they will Not be getting.

I may Not agree with this logic but I do understand it.

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote.  Cruise lines are not non profit entities.

I tried a dummy booking last week and for a solo it was a couple hundred less than two people…but that may represent the taxes and fees for the second person.  But it wasn’t more than double.  EM

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I tried a dummy booking last week and for a solo it was a couple hundred less than two people…but that may represent the taxes and fees for the second person.  But it wasn’t more than double.  EM

That has been my experience also.

the Solo extra charge is not on all sailings.

i wish I knew what Celebrity used for a reason to price some solo prices to carry a premium?

3 of my 8 future cruise bookings are cheaper booked for 2 guests. 

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It depends on the cruise.  Some are a lot more than double, but they have adjusted them a bit.  The real bad deal is that if a solo books the AI the price for the add on is way more than what it is pp if there were 2 people.  If one were to book for 2 and only 1 shows, wouldn’t you have had to put down a non refundable deposit for each person and wouldn’t that be lost? 

5 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

If one were to book for 2 and only 1 shows, wouldn’t you have had to put down a non refundable deposit for each person and wouldn’t that be lost? 

You lose the entire cruise fare of the second phantom passenger, the only thing that is refunded are Port Fees and taxes. All Included has always been a terrible deal for solo passengers. You're better off booking Cruise-Only then booking WiFi and Beverage packages when they go on sale during a flash sale. (if you drink enough to justify a beverage package)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it's not Celebrity, but with Virgin Voyages I had a cabin booked for 2 (was a free cruise) but was always going alone.  Got a few emails regarding adding the second sailor, but that was it.  No one said a word at pier or on the ship about it.

7 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

It depends on the cruise.  Some are a lot more than double, but they have adjusted them a bit.  The real bad deal is that if a solo books the AI the price for the add on is way more than what it is pp if there were 2 people.  If one were to book for 2 and only 1 shows, wouldn’t you have had to put down a non refundable deposit for each person and wouldn’t that be lost? 

You are correct.

I only book cruise only as we do not drink.