Premier Desserts On Gran Princess

Cerbiattina

Hello

My husband and I will be going on a Cruise to Alaska in late May with Grand Princess. I have Celiac Disease and won't be able to eat any of the Premiere Desserts (based on the ingredients list found on the Internet). I was wondering if plain gelato is included in either package (Plus and Premiere). I tried to search the Internet and the answer is NO according to two sources. Is that correct?

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic!

As to your question...you will get conflicting answers, I believe.  Princess "somewhat" seems to have a policy that there are no "substitutions" with regards to the Premium desserts.  However, there have been quite a few people who have posted here that they have successfully asked and received gelato.  That being said...the outright price for gelato really isn't that bad.  I *think* we were charged about $4.00 on one sailing not too long ago...but I wouldn't swear to that exact amount.

1. Thank you Rick&Jeannie. I am trying to decide which package would make more sense for my husband and myself. I am a coffee lover, so with my two espresso, one cappuccino, three waters (half liter each) and a foamed hot milk at night I am already over the $15 for the Plus Package and about $20...Similar situation for my husband, he likes a glass of wine at dinner, a beer, and water (obviously) so, maybe, the Premiere Package would make more sense...but I don't see us using all the other perks. Right now, I am torn between the Plus Package knowing that we are going to pay a couple of hundred dollars extra (maybe I am being conservative), or the Premier Package where almost everything is included (for us) without really using the Premiere Dessert part of it.

I am sure you explain that your "condition" (without having to explain) prevents you from enjoying those wonderful desserts but could have the gelato, you may be accommodated (or speak to the Assistant Maitre d' up on the Lido Deck.

One flavored ice cream is served in the MDR at lunch time (rotational) and gelato is served in the evening.  Sometimes, you will find gelato in the buffet late in the afternoon.

As far as the Premier Beverage package goes (+$20 x 2) will you take advantage of the reserve seating (not always in prime location), gym classes, photos, specialty dinners, endless pop up places, etc?  or would you be better off paying the few extra dollars so that you husband can enjoy the premium drinks?

BTW, it is unlimited non-alcoholic drinks AND 15 alcoholic drinks max with any of the packages.  I didn't learn that until after a couple of voyages; not that I ever reached my limit since I am a non-drinker.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by cr8tiv1

It is not a total of $15 for the day but $15 for each drink. You are not limited to 15 total drinks either but are limited to 15 alcoholic drinks each day. Both plus and premier get the desserts.

I fully understand!  We *might* each get 1 Premier dessert for the whole cruise...certainly not 2 per day!  That's just a bit on the crazy side, if you ask me.  We've booked Plus for several years.  On our last 2 cruises we booked Premier, the first one basically just to "see".  We're not huge drinkers, but DW likes to have a couple a day, and usually some wine at dinner.  I'll have maybe 1 drink a day and either wine or prosecco for dinner.  One thing that really surprised us (in a good way) was the reserved seating for shows in the theater.  It seems like we've always had to scramble and rush through dinner in order to fight the crowd for seats.  There's something to be said about knowing that there are seats just waiting for you!

Also, we've rarely been ones to take advantage of the onboard photographers, but with Premier you get *all* pictures that are taken, as well as hardcopies for I *think* 3.  They're pretty good quality, high res pictures and you can download them all to your phone through the app.

I guess the biggest decision point is how many drinks you think you might like to have available to you...or even whether you are a drinker at all.  If you don't drink...Premier is probably not for you.  You could just go "ala carte" on everything and *probably* end up paying less.  Everybody has to "do the math" as we say here on CC!

I believe I read that if you have the Plus package, which covers alcoholic drinks up to $15, you can still get that more expensive $17 or $20 drink.  You just pay the difference, plus gratuity on the additional amount.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I believe I read that if you have the Plus package, which covers alcoholic drinks up to $15, you can still get that more expensive $17 or $20 drink.  You just pay the difference, plus gratuity on the additional amount.  

That is correct.

• Like 1

Thank you all!

I don't drink any alcohol..ZERO..only coffee. More specifically one cappuccino and one espresso in the morning, one espresso in the afternoon. I enjoy hot chocolate at night. Not every night. Because normal chocolate pouches for hot chocolate contain wheat, I will have to take mine, which are gluten-free. That is why I was adding foamed milk to my list. I do drink a lot of water. My husband drinks - on holidays - one glass of wine at dinnertime and, later -sometimes - a beer. That's it. We both enjoy ice cream, but I can't have the premium desserts; based on the ingredients list, they all have wheat. My option would be plain gelato (I read somewhere on the Princess website that plain gelato is gluten-free). We do love shows and I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to have a "reserved" seat and the fitness classes. I would take them when we are at sea. Even two per day, since they only last half an hour. I was under the impression that $15 (or $20), was per day, not per drink. If I sum up my little drinks, I am almost at $20, but we don't really care about photos, we usually take our own. Although, it would be nice to save something "professionally" taken every once in a while.  I can't have the Premium Desserts and my husband will have one Premium Dessert per day...they look huge....I don't know what endless pop-up places are......Any suggestion is more than welcome :)) I just hope is a bit better than our last one to the Caribbeans. Holland America didn't really offer much in terms of gluten-free food, I had to go crazy every day trying to find the Maitre because the servers weren't sure what was or wasn't gluten-free.

3 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

So, if I understood you g. uys correctly, $15 per day is for alcoholic drinks? How about the non-alcoholic drinks, like specialty coffee and water??..I am so confused... 

non alcoholic drinks - no limit and no price cap. Have as many as you want

Edited by adamtoonarmy

Thank you Adamtoonarmy. When you say, "no limit and no price cap", do you mean that with the Princess Plus Package, I don't have to worry about the $15 per day, if I order only espresso, cappuccino and water? I can order as many as I want? 

1 minute ago, Cerbiattina said:

Thank you Adamtoonarmy. When you say, "no limit and no price cap", do you mean that with the Princess Plus Package, I don't have to worry about the $15 per day, if I order only espresso, cappuccino and water? I can order as many as I want? 

There is no "$15 per day" limit. On anything.

Every individual drink has a $15 limit. So if you get a beer, any beer up to $15 is covered. If you get a glass of wine, any wine that is under $15 is covered. If you decide to get a top-shelf drink that costs, say $17, the first $15 is free with Plus, You only pay $2+18% gratuity, so $2.36 total. (The whole thing is covered for Premier.)

Technically there is a $15 limit on non-alcoholic drinks but right now I don't know of any non-alcoholic drinks that are more than $15. But if there was, it would work the same way as for alcoholic drinks.

As for the premium desserts, I haven't heard of anyone who has had more than a few throughout their entire cruise, let alone 2 a day! So getting 2 a day and getting unlimited are essentially the same. 😄 

Thank you MacMadame. You made everything clear. At this point, I don't think the Premiere package is for us, I will stick with the Plus considering that Crew Appreciation and Internet are both included. Everything a la carte would be more expensive anyway. Thank you everyone!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

Thank you MacMadame. You made everything clear. At this point, I don't think the Premiere package is for us, I will stick with the Plus considering that Crew Appreciation and Internet are both included. Everything a la carte would be more expensive anyway. Thank you everyone!

I suggest you go on Princess.com and re-read the page on the cruise packages and what is included.  Then, read what is included in the Plus beverage package.

It almost sounds like you guys do not need a package at all.

You didn't mention the length of your cruise.  Also, how many port days and do you think you will be off the ship when it is in a port and therefore consuming less - or not?

You sound interested in CA and Medallion Net (internet).  These total $31/day/person.  That leaves $29 for beverages.  Do you think you will be ordering food and/or drink to your location when on the ship?  This is the Ocean Now service which costs $15/voyage.  That is $1.50 - $2/day depending on if your voyage is a week or 10 nights (approx).

How much coffee are you going to drink in a day?  

Did you know you can order pack of 12 500ml water bottles for $7 - as long as you do it pre-cruise via Cruise Personalizer (see Onboard Services section).  Also, the ship's water is just fine and most folks use it.  You could order a pack of water and do refills.  Ship's water is well treated.

Up to you of course, but it reads like you have not fully grasped the cruise fare packages.  Just figure out what you think you will use and spend.  Divide it out over length of cruise and and see how close to $60 you get.  Remember that every beverage ordered on the ship has 18% gratuity tacked on. 

ETA:  Note that one of you could order Ocean Now a la carte and as long as that person does the ordering, you wouldn't both need it.  Works if you are mostly together and not to good if doing own thing a lot.  Also, the $29 left for beverages I mentioned---  I think of it as $58 for both of us combined and what would we spend together.

Edited by Steelers36

Thank you. The cruise is 14 days long, six ports and we have excursiond for all of them. I calculated the expenses for both of us without a package  and the plus package is less than a la cart. I know about the 12 500ml package of water, but I drink three of them per day and whenever I drank tap water, I always got sick.  Maybe it is a coincidence, but that's my reality. And you are right, I haven't grasped the packages at all, that's why I am asking :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

Thank you. The cruise is 14 days long, six ports and we have excursions for all of them. I calculated the expenses for both of us without a package  and the plus package is less than a la cart. I know about the 12 500ml package of water, but I drink three of them per day and whenever I drank tap water, I always got sick.  Maybe it is a coincidence, but that's my reality. And you are right, I haven't grasped the packages at all, that's why I am asking 🙂

Sounds like you are getting a handle on it by now.

From what you have said the Premier package does not seem to make sense for you. Perhaps the Plus will work since you can get all the coffee drinks and waters you want every day. The limit of $15 is per drink not per day and  limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day only. I would figure that you may have more coffees and waters than you think. The desserts are good on either package although once you see them you may well say no thank you. It will cover your WiFi and gratuities as well. One thing to mention if the first person gets a package both need to have a package. I see no reason for the Premier package in your case or really anyone except those who drink higher priced wines and lots of them

Edited by memoak

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

From what you have said the Premier package does not seem to make sense for you. Perhaps the Plus will work since you can get all the coffee drinks and waters you want every day. The limit of $15 is per drink not per day and  limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day only. I would figure that you may have more coffees and waters than you think. The desserts are good on either package although once you see them you may well say no thank you. It will cover your WiFi and gratuities as well. One thing to mention if the first person gets a package both need to have a package. I see no reason for the Premier package in your case or really anyone except those who drink higher priced wines and lots of them

Thank you. I agree with you. Thank you for your input.

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I suggest you go on Princess.com and re-read the page on the cruise packages and what is included.  Then, read what is included in the Plus beverage package.

It almost sounds like you guys do not need a package at all.

You didn't mention the length of your cruise.  Also, how many port days and do you think you will be off the ship when it is in a port and therefore consuming less - or not?

You sound interested in CA and Medallion Net (internet).  These total $31/day/person.  That leaves $29 for beverages.  Do you think you will be ordering food and/or drink to your location when on the ship?  This is the Ocean Now service which costs $15/voyage.  That is $1.50 - $2/day depending on if your voyage is a week or 10 nights (approx).

How much coffee are you going to drink in a day?  

Did you know you can order pack of 12 500ml water bottles for $7 - as long as you do it pre-cruise via Cruise Personalizer (see Onboard Services section).  Also, the ship's water is just fine and most folks use it.  You could order a pack of water and do refills.  Ship's water is well treated.

Up to you of course, but it reads like you have not fully grasped the cruise fare packages.  Just figure out what you think you will use and spend.  Divide it out over length of cruise and and see how close to $60 you get.  Remember that every beverage ordered on the ship has 18% gratuity tacked on. 

ETA:  Note that one of you could order Ocean Now a la carte and as long as that person does the ordering, you wouldn't both need it.  Works if you are mostly together and not to good if doing own thing a lot.  Also, the $29 left for beverages I mentioned---  I think of it as $58 for both of us combined and what would we spend together.

I did my calculation and it is $70.03 per day without any package

• Like 1

With Plus, you can pick up a bottle of water every time you pass by a bar and stash them in your cabin.  You can even order them in the MDR/buffet when you have your meals.  You will chew through the difference between with/without Plus in no time at all just by ordering coffees and waters (small bottles).

You can bring your special hot chocolate packets and ask the barista to use it instead of the ones behind the counter.  Then you can get your foamed milk?

Bring a refillable wide mouth bottle for your lemonade.  It is now also available in the MDR. For free

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

With Plus, you can pick up a bottle of water every time you pass by a bar and stash them in your cabin.  You can even order them in the MDR/buffet when you have your meals.  You will chew through the difference between with/without Plus in no time at all just by ordering coffees and waters (small bottles).

You can bring your special hot chocolate packets and ask the barista to use it instead of the ones behind the counter.  Then you can get your foamed milk?

Bring a refillable wide mouth bottle for your lemonade.  It is now also available in the MDR. 

Thank you for your input, it is indeed valuable. :)

• Like 1