Danube River cruise and Vienna

sboh

Hello. I am thinking about booking Avalon’s Danube Dreams river cruise for next year. It spends one day in Vienna. I am interested in doing their included classic excursion (described below) which is in the morning and the optional excursion to Schonbrunn Palace which is 3&1/2 hours, presumably in the afternoon.

CLASSIC EXCURSION 

Explore the Habsburg empire with a morning Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex—Winter residence of the Imperial Family, the iconic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral.

You may decide to take a Guided Optional Excursion to Schönbrunn Palace—the former imperial summer home of the Habsburg monarchy. 

There is a painting in the Kunsthistorisches Museum I would really like to see. If I did both excursions, do you think I would have time to stop in the museum too, which is open until 6pm. I realize it is a hugh museum with a wonderful collection but I only have the one day in Vienna and am trying to prioritize what I want to see/do.

I had thought to book in September but there are two departures that would put me in Vienna on a Thursday when the museum is open until 9pm (and offers a single supplement waiver). (They also offer an evening concert in Vienna so I’m assuming the ship will be in port late that day):

October 10 which is westbound or
November 3 which is eastbound

How would either of these dates compare to sailing in September? (water level? weather? daylight?)
Is westbound or eastbound preferable?
I will be booking the lowest level on the ship.

I'm not sure about your cruise but the one I am on overnights in Vienna.  If it's important to you, you might want to forego the second excursion.

Edited by Rebel54

Our cruise in Sept (Blue Danube Discovery) included both the tour of the town *or* the museum. I just looked up your cruise, and see the following

image.png.bdca7bd7944c56fcf010ee59d8366b0e.png

When we were there, the morning tour was either or the classic tours, and the trip to  Schönbrunn Palace was in the afternoon. Vienna is easy to get around from the ship, a short walk to the tram system to get into town. Your CD will be able to help you with what tram line to take to the museum if you wish to do that in the afternoon. I'm sure you will have an opportunity to see some areas of the museum on your own after the guided tour if you take that, so it may be helpful to know where the painting you wish to see is to make sure you see it. 

I see that you are there for the evening, as the concert is the same day. You can always stay in town after the tours and go to the museum if it's opening hours work out.

Good to know that it is easy to get into the city from the ship. I’ve ridden trams in other European cities and enjoy them. I’ve never been to Vienna so prefer to do the first Classic excursion listed to see the Opera House and St. Stephen’s etc. I also do want to do the optional to Schonbrunn in the afternoon so I think I’ll book the October departure that would put me in Vienna on a Thursday when the museum is open late in case I don’t get there during the day I can go on my own in the evening. I do know the room the painting is in. It’s the Vermeer, I’ve seen all of his paintings except three so hate to miss this one. I’m sure it would be included on the other Classic excursion but I didn’t want to spend the whole morning tour on the museum. So much to see…

• Like 1

Vienna is one of the easiest cities to get around it has an inner and outer tram circle buy your ticket and jump on and off to your hearts content. The S/Palace is huge you need time to make the most of it. Don’t miss trying the real Sachertorte and Viennese coffee.  If you’re offered an evening of dancing etc go for it a bit of bling and enjoy. If you’re going in the colder time of year beware of the gluhwein it’s actually quite potent. Enjoy.