Are the pools heated?

shainamarie622

This article (review by a cruiser) states that the main pools are heated... (I was somewhat surprised since I was thinking the same as @1025cruise above.  Of course, this reviewer could be wrong!

https://www.cruzely.com/princess-cruise-live-blog-day-3-sailing-swimming-and-singing/#:~:text=The main pools on Discovery,was busy… but not overflowing.

I guess you'll find out for sure next Saturday!

• Like 1

As a lap swimmer, I keep a close eye on the pools.  Usually they are heated , although frequently not too warm ( which is ok for lap swimming).  Always check the different pools, as the temperature can vary a significant amount.  The best heated pools on the old Grand class ships with the enclosed pool.  Nice and warm.

• Like 2

sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes yes and no. No consistent approach concerning pool temperatures from one ship to the next, from one cruise to the next, to even one day to the next on the same cruise.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet

So... a mix of yes heated and no not heated... does anyone actually know the facts here other than just from experience of whether the pool felt warm or not?

I think you will find them heated for Mexican Riviera and not for Alaska or Northern Europe in December. The Retreat Pool on Deck 17 Sky Deck forward on Discovery Princess is free of charge and fewer people seem to find it.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
30 minutes ago, john watson said:

I think you will find them heated for Mexican Riviera and not for Alaska or Northern Europe in December. The Retreat Pool on Deck 17 Sky Deck forward on Discovery Princess is free of charge and fewer people seem to find it.

Regards John

Shhhh John... I'd like to keep it that way if you don't mind 😉 

2 hours ago, john watson said:

I think you will find them heated for Mexican Riviera and not for Alaska or Northern Europe in December.

That seems backward. Heat it when it's warm but not when it's cold?? 😕

• Like 5

Emerald Princess a few weeks ago - pools were drained due to rough seas and when they refilled them the water was super super warm. As the cruise progressed after that the water got colder and colder

20 hours ago, MacMadame said:

That seems backward. Heat it when it's warm but not when it's cold?? 😕

I think it is due to demand I saw some Queen Mary 2 video mid Atlantic and the decks were covered in snow.  I have also been on ships in December. Quite often all the loungers are tied up in stacks and nobody wants to get in the pool.

Regards John

• Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

It makes sense to heat them when the weather is cold and not when the weather is warm.

Since the pools are heated with excess heat generated by the engines, it doesn't cost much, or possibly anything, to heat them using heat exchangers. Keeping them cold limits overcrowding.

• Like 1