Tour in Trieste before heading to Venice

RoLyWe

A few friends and I will be sailing into Trieste in July and would like to venture into Slovenia to visit Postojna Cave & Predjama Castle. Our concern is our luggage. We will have one check and one carry-on bag each. From what I have read the only storage is at the train station and I don't know how much time we would have after getting off the ship prior to the tour pick up. Does it make more sense to just rent a car for the day? The castle is only an hour from port. After the tour we would plan to take the train up to Venice. Has anyone taken this tour, and what are your thoughts about luggage storing for 5-6 hours?  Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Eat to ask this question in the poetry of call boards 

Auto correct did a number on that post. It was supposed to say:

Best to ask this question in the port of call boards 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Auto correct did a number on that post. It was supposed to say:

Best to ask this question in the port of call boards 

Thanks, I did repost it in the Italy Ports board. (Yeah, thought that was a little cryptic, but figured out what you meant. :D)

Where is the tour starting point?  If this is a private tour, won't they take your luggage?  Usually tour groups use Mercedes mini vans, so there should be room.  A shared tour, probably has no room for luggage.

The train station is a 15 minute walk from the ship. The Left Luggage will probably charge 5-7E per item.

I'd be concerned about leaving the luggage in a car park while you're sightseeing.  If it all fits in the trunk/boot, fine, but if any luggage is in the back seat and visible, you could fall victim to a smash and grab.

How does it compare financially .... the cost of the tour (plus left luggage) vs cost of car rental. 

On 2/19/2024 at 1:40 PM, mapleleaves said:

Where is the tour starting point?  If this is a private tour, won't they take your luggage?  Usually tour groups use Mercedes mini vans, so there should be room.  A shared tour, probably has no room for luggage.

The train station is a 15 minute walk from the ship. The Left Luggage will probably charge 5-7E per item.

I'd be concerned about leaving the luggage in a car park while you're sightseeing.  If it all fits in the trunk/boot, fine, but if any luggage is in the back seat and visible, you could fall victim to a smash and grab.

How does it compare financially .... the cost of the tour (plus left luggage) vs cost of car rental. 

The tour, through Viator, will pick us up from where ever we choose, hotel, port, etc. Because there will be 4 of us each with a check and a carry on bag, it will not likely fit in their tour van/shuttle as it is not a private tour. 

And it won't all fit into a rental car unless we get something extra large in which case it becomes cost prohibitive, even if we drove it up to Venice vs taking the train. Even if we could squeeze it all in, I think we would want to store the luggage at the train station while we drove tot eh castle/cave anyway as I agree that leaving the luggage exposed in a rental car does not seem wise.

The tour I am looking at is through Viator. I have been to the castle before but the others I am traveling with have not. I love Slovenia and so wanted to give them the opportunity to see another country although not very far into it. We thought it would be a nice excursion before going up to Venice.