Misinformation

pmatawan

I'm a season cruiser, but 1st time on Oceania. Let me start by saying after experiencing the food and service onboard Riviera, I would find it difficult to go back to other mainstream lines. Yes, O is pricier, but for me, at this stage of my live, worth it.

I've been onboard Riviera for well over a month now as part of a 72 day grand voyage sailing in Asia.

On occasion, I've had some inquiries that either staff was either unable to answer or provided incorrect information.

My first inquiry was related to when tender tickets would be available  for independent  travelers at a particular port. Destination services gave me a time and I arrived 30 minutes early, but they had already given out tickets for the first 3 tenders for independent cruisers(not ship excursions).

Another example was a port listed as a tender port(Ha Long Bay), which I had heard was now available as a docking location. Again, destination services could not confirm that we would in fact be docking and not tendering. Why am I able to get proper answers from members on this site and not from onboard staff?

Another example is inaccurate shuttle times published in Currents. In Ho Chi Minh City, Currents indicated shuttle service would not be available between 11am-2pm and 5pm-7pm due to meal breaks. Totally incorrect, shuttle service was continuously available. In another port there was no mention in Currents of the port shuttle  to the gate, some guests walked toward the gate and were picked up by the but enroute. The shuttles were not easily identifiable and O staff could not direct us to them.

When I inquired at reception regarding visa services and pricing, I was again given incorrect information. One last item, due to "technical issues" O found it necessary to shorten port times during one cruise segment. They were unwilling to explain what those issues were leading to rumors of an engine issue, which turned out to be the truth. But they fixed the issue after a week, but never readjusted our port times, we just arrived hours early to the last ports on that segment. For those of us with private excursions, it required numerous updates with our tour guides. Mid cruise surveys addressing some of these issues did not receive a response.

In fairness to Oceania, this is the first time this ship has been in this part of the world, but I feel they have some communication issues that should be addressed.

Edited by pmatawan
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pmatawan said:

I'm a season cruiser, but 1st time on Oceania. ... My first inquiry was related to when tender tickets would be available for independent travelers at a particular port. Destination services gave me a time and I arrived 30 minutes early, but they had already given out tickets for the first 3 tenders for independent cruisers (not ship excursions). Another example was a port listed as a tender port (Ha Long Bay), which I had heard was now available as a docking location. Again, destination services could not confirm that we would in fact be docking and not tendering. ... Another example is inaccurate shuttle times published in Currents. In Ho Chi Minh City, Currents indicated shuttle service would not be available between 11am-2pm and 5pm-7pm due to meal breaks. Totally incorrect, shuttle service was continuously available. In another port there was no mention in Currents of the port shuttle to the gate, some guests walked toward the gate and were picked up by the but enroute. The shuttles were not easily identifiable and O staff could not direct us to them....

I've seen these issues on past cruises, on both our recent 20-nights in the Med on Riveria (Oct-Nov 2023) and on two separate cruises in the Caribbean (2021 & 2022). O doesn't seem to shine here, Destination Services or tendering. Learned that if we wanted to be off the ship early, we got in the line as early as possible. Whether to get tickets for a tender for our independent excursion or to walk down the gangplank. Was a minor irritant to find that shuttle services were running throughout the day, rather than the claimed meal break period. Do keep in mind that O contracts for the shuttles. Each operator is different. All you can do is ask questions, be vigilant, and go with the flow once you figure it out.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. When we sail in June on Riviera, will make sure we are in the theater with the first group of Oceania excursions when we plan on our own port visits.

Sounds like Oceania might also be receiving incorrect info from these ports but would help if they acknowledged this and maybe asked for passengers patience.

Glad you also appreciate other aspects of Oceania - May you enjoy smooth sailing going forth!

5 hours ago, pmatawan said:

On occasion, I've had some inquiries that either staff … provided incorrect information.

Could be the staff was plain wrong, but it sounds more likely that circumstances changed after you got your answer and plans changed.

On our recent cruise on the Marina the CD (Peter the shoe) specifically stated after the show each night he would answer any questions as we were leaving except for when or how to get a tender ticket for independant tours.   Very adament about it too.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davencl said:

On our recent cruise on the Marina the CD (Peter the shoe) specifically stated after the show each night he would answer any questions as we were leaving except for when or how to get a tender ticket for independant tours.   Very adament about it too.

Fortunately, he is not on Marina now. 

The CD is Sammie, a young lady who has mispronounced every port city in South America we have been too.  It's actually impressive considering how little effort it would take to get the pronunciations right.  I look forward to her mangling of Montevideo in a couple of weeks.

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Fortunately, he is not on Marina now. 

The CD is Sammie, a young lady who has mispronounced every port city in South America we have been too.  It's actually impressive considering how little effort it would take to get the pronunciations right.  I look forward to her mangling of Montevideo in a couple of weeks.

Shep,

Is she doing Trivia?  Sounds like that would be a laugh riot!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

Shep,

Is she doing Trivia?  Sounds like that would be a laugh riot!!!

She is doing trivia, but I'm not. I suspect you are correct.

She is a slim, long-haired blond who wore an all-pink outfit the other day and appeared offended by the many people who told her she looked like Barbie.  

(She is not Margo Robbie)

Edited by shepherd really

If the question involves port docking or tendering, I ask reception. They generally can answer these questions. I have found destination services is generally clueless on almost any question-including O's tours!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Guest said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. When we sail in June on Riviera, will make sure we are in the theater with the first group of Oceania excursions when we plan on our own port visits.

Sounds like Oceania might also be receiving incorrect info from these ports but would help if they acknowledged this and maybe asked for passengers patience.

Glad you also appreciate other aspects of Oceania - May you enjoy smooth sailing going forth!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Probably the last cruiseline to cancel. They certainly withhold what was inevitable to the very last minute. I'm sure the decision was made months ago, just not shared with guests till now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pmatawan said:

Probably the last cruiseline to cancel. They certainly withhold what was inevitable to the very last minute. I'm sure the decision was made months ago, just not shared with guests till now.

Without getting too political, it could also be that O clung to hope that someone, anyone, would clean up the mess in the Bab al-Mandab.

16 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Without getting too political, it could also be that O clung to hope that someone, anyone, would clean up the mess in the Bab al-Mandab.

I would like to think that also. I'm on Riviera now, wondering how the current crew will be affected. No one here seems to know yet, maybe senior officers. Many just joined the cruise in Singapore, hoping their contracts will be honored and just not terminated. 

44 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

The heck with it...

"Paging Lt O'Bannon!   Paging Lt Presley O'Bannon!"

1 hour ago, pmatawan said:

I don't believe that Azamara has cancelled yet. We have friends of friends waiting and hoping 

11 minutes ago, vaitape said:

I'm sorry but not able to follow the concern...what exactly is being canceled?

Riviera was supposed to travel through Red sea in  May. Cruises were canceled from mid May through mid June so ship can travel around Africa instead.

10 hours ago, pmatawan said:

I would like to think that also. I'm on Riviera now, wondering how the current crew will be affected. No one here seems to know yet, maybe senior officers. Many just joined the cruise in Singapore, hoping their contracts will be honored and just not terminated. 

The ship is still cruising just around the Cape so the crew will remain onboard...

13 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

I just read that it isn't the US government that is making these decisions but rather the companies themselves.

I doubt they are going to have the ship empty for those months while it sails around Africa.  It takes some time to come up with ports, itineraries, etc.   There will be some new itineraries with great pricing in the future...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, basor said:

I doubt they are going to have the ship empty for those months while it sails around Africa.  It takes some time to come up with ports, itineraries, etc.   There will be some new itineraries with great pricing in the future...

Here is my guess.

It’s about 33 days between cruises.

It’s about 23 days sailing at 20 kts.

Not enough spare days to make both segments ( via Cape Town) interesting enough.

Sail high speed Dubai - Cape Town, non- stop,(10 days), without pax.

At CT, a splash & dash for fuel, grub & scrub for food, board pax and on your way.

That way, there may be enough days spare on the Cape Town - Civitavecchia segment to make it a nice segment.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2

Interesting post by the OP.  I simply call it "unforced errors" by the cruise line, and it happens with many lines.  It is difficult to understand, but cruise lines seem to relish keeping cruisers uninformed for absolutely no reason.  Over 50+ years of extensive cruising we have learned that many of the crew, that deal with passengers, also are uninformed.  It makes no sense, but many cruise lines have a habit of doing things that make no sense to passengers.  

Hank

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting post by the OP.  I simply call it "unforced errors" by the cruise line, and it happens with many lines.  It is difficult to understand, but cruise lines seem to relish keeping cruisers uninformed for absolutely no reason.  Over 50+ years of extensive cruising we have learned that many of the crew, that deal with passengers, also are uninformed.  It makes no sense, but many cruise lines have a habit of doing things that make no sense to passengers.  

Hank

Thanks. Now you don't have to name names but are there any cruise lines that you won't cruise on for this reason.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Thanks. Now you don't have to name names but are there any cruise lines that you won't cruise on for this reason.

For that reason alone?  No.  The problem is that so many lines seem to fall into that same hole.  I have no clue why. There are a few cruise lines we now avoid, but that is for other reasons having to do with quality and value.  At the risk of sounding like boasting, we have mostly been everywhere (in terms of cruising) except Antartica) so changing ports is usually not a big deal.  But, for example, on our upcoming Oceania Vista cruise, the cruise line suddenly (and without any reasonable explanation) removed an overnight stay in Istanbul from the itinerary.  DW and I looked forward to returning to Istanbul (a place we really enjoy).  The itinerary change (removing both Istanbul and Kusadasi) was done after final payment and in the penalty period...without explanation!   I am sure there are many folks not happy about that change.

At the moment we will not book any more Explora Journey's cruises because we simply do not trust that company to keep any specific itinerary.  They are new, have made many itinerary changes (such as simply eliminating an entire season of cruising in Alaska) and never offer an explanation.  We do like the line, but will wait until we see signs that they can be trusted.

Hank

• Like 1