Royal Up

Here's what I don't understand.  I just received an offer to Royal Up, but there are no cabins available for us to upgrade. ( It would be to a Royal Suite.)  Why do they send these emails and even offer a suggested bid when they are booked?

4 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

Here's what I don't understand.  I just received an offer to Royal Up, but there are no cabins available for us to upgrade. ( It would be to a Royal Suite.)  Why do they send these emails and even offer a suggested bid when they are booked?

There are cancellations all the time. I have read that about one third or more  of cabins booked get cancelled. I believe it as often on roll calls many of the early posters bow out before the sailing. 

2 hours ago, Carol28 said:

Why do they send these emails and even offer a suggested bid when they are booked?

The system is on auto pilot and doesn't depend on inventory being available.

• Like 1

Like others have mentioned it accounts for cancellations as well as others also moving up and making their rooms available. A few years ago we won a bid for the ultimate panoramic suite on Oasis even though in the 2 months between bidding and winning it never once showed up as available. 

• Like 3

Just won an upgrade today - 12 days out from sailing- from an inside cabin to a balcony.

Bid one notch over the lowest bid. There were about 16-18 balconies open for a few months . Oceanview cabins have been sold out for over a month. The cabin I won was NOT showing as available so I guess someone else was upgraded to a suite and I got their cabin. Still many other open balconies left. 

Edited by son3cruisers
  • Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 9:00 PM, Carol28 said:

1. The full inventory is never shown.

2. There are always cancellations.

3. Having Up bids in place means they can move people up a category and make a few bucks 💰thus freeing up the lower category cabins to resell last minute. 

4. Up is handled by an external company 

Worth bidding if you are interested.  Since the ship has so many regular balcony cabins, with a reasonable bid going from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin odds are pretty good.  Even a ship that appears booked, cancellations do happen.  Going from a balcony to a suite- because of inventory is less likely.  Good luck 

5 hours ago, little britain said:

1. The full inventory is never shown.

2. There are always cancellations.

3. Having Up bids in place means they can move people up a category and make a few bucks 💰thus freeing up the lower category cabins to resell last minute. 

4. Up is handled by an external company 

5. Gather free marketing info (how much people are willing to bid).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1