Oceania Cancels Riviera June 10-17 2024 Sailing Barcelona to Rome

bassethounddog

I just received an email from Oceania canceling  our Riveria Barcelona to Rome June 10-17 2024 sailing. It seems the ship will be repositioning from Asia to the Mediterranean. It cannot use the Suez Canal/ Red Sea, so will sail around Africa. It is my understanding that all Riviera Cruises May 14 to June 17 are cancelled. Full refunds were offered. 

22 minutes ago, bassethounddog said:

I just received an email from Oceania canceling  our Riveria Barcelona to Rome June 10-17 2024 sailing. It seems the ship will be repositioning from Asia to the Mediterranean. It cannot use the Suez Canal/ Red Sea, so will sail around Africa. It is my understanding that all Riviera Cruises May 14 to June 17 are cancelled. Full refunds were offered. 

@bassethounddog First I had this happened to you and everyone else on this cruise or any cruise affected.  Did they offer you anything else besides a full refund.  Like a percentage discount off your next cruise.  Just wondering. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

35 minutes ago, Izzy'sMoms said:

We booked this cruise a year and a half ago as a 65th birthday cruise. It was such a nice itinerary with both Corsica and Sardinia. Very, very disappointed!

Same here…. Booked over a year ago. Wonderful itinerary. Cruise was sold out, too. 

Now I would definitely be talking to my TA or O and see what new itineraries they will be offering enroute from Asia. I would guess you may find some enjoyable itineraries eventhough they won’t be the Med trips you had initially booked. 
It is a real bummer but like was said “Prudence” is the real driver because the world situation over there is tenuous at best. 
We booked that similar itinerary in reverse in November so, so far so good. 
Mauibabes 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

It is a real bummer but like was said “Prudence” is the real driver because the world situation over there is tenuous at best. 

Yes,  do have to keep things in perspective. What if they can never cruise in that area. Or anywhere near Russia, China, etc.

We're lucky here in the US that it would probably take a lifetime to visit everything here. I could deal with that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Izzy'sMoms said:

We booked this cruise a year and a half ago as a 65th birthday cruise. It was such a nice itinerary with both Corsica and Sardinia. Very, very disappointed!

Oh, no...so disappointing! If you have DIY air, maybe you could vacation in Sardinia and take a day trip or two over to Corsica. If you use a TA, I bet they can get you from/to the airports to the island, reserve a hotel, and arrange transport/tours. My husband and I have Sardinia on our list (and not just because we know people there)...the photos are gorgeous!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, clo said:

Yes,  do have to keep things in perspective. What if they can never cruise in that area. Or anywhere near Russia, China, etc.

We're lucky here in the US that it would probably take a lifetime to visit everything here. I could deal with that.

Keeping things in perspective, it is the US Government who has made it impossible for cruise ships to cruise between US Ports.  It is the PVSA which encourages cruise lovers to look outside the USA.

Hank

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Keeping things in perspective, it is the US Government who has made it impossible for cruise ships to cruise between US Ports.  It is the PVSA which encourages cruise lovers to look outside the USA.

Hank

Hi. Are you replying to a different thread? I just don't see the connection.

Just now, clo said:

Hi. Are you replying to a different thread? I just don't see the connection.

The connection is many folks might choose to cruise here, if it were legal.  

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The connection is many folks might choose to cruise here, if it were legal.  

Oh, gotcha. Thanks. So are the river cruises the same or just ocean. We're already talking about North American train trips.

30 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, gotcha. Thanks. So are the river cruises the same or just ocean. We're already talking about North American train trips.

Have never done a US River cruise but the key is the boats most mostly

be built in the US and the crew American.  Only cruise ship

that complies with the PVSA standard is in Hawaii

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Have never done a US River cruise

I've looked at a Memphis to New Orleans cruise in the past and might still be interested in it, as an experience. The reservation I have is that we've done that route as part of a "music" road trip we put together a few years back. . Great three weeks - Nashville/Memphis/Tupelo/Vicksburg/New Orleans/Lafayette

• Like 1

CC did an article on the PVSA last summer: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/jones-act-and-pvsa-whats-the-difference-and-how-do-they-affect-my-cruise

Cruise lines like Uncruise and American Cruise Lines (exempt from PVSA) were doing business on US routes after the pandemic before the foreign-cruiselines (since they could not stop in Canada for a foreign port). Their entry-level fares prevent a large percentage of people from considering them, but if luxury cruise prices are acceptable, they are an option.

I looked at a few reviews of the Viking Mississippi River cruise last night. It's a beautiful river ship with all of the bells and whistles, but just fell short on the experience.  They were mostly terrible reviews!   

In the past, I have researched the American Cruise Lines and took a look at some videos posted by passengers.  No thank you! 

The American crew seem to be the main problem on both lines. They are not used to working so hard (something like 12 hour shifts x 7 week days x 10 weeks in a row before having a break.) They are worn out and this causes back-ups in the food and service areas.  Food is said to be of lesser quality and quantity. Staterooms are left unfinished in the cleaning department.  Overall slow and inconsistent service.   Entertainment and excursions also got low marks.

Also, the Mississippi can have the same low water problems as river ships have in Europe.  I think for the cost, we are going to pass.

20 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

They were mostly terrible reviews!   

OT but I always read reviews on things like this. Really almost everything if I'm not familiar with the vendor. I even did it recently for a doctor (surgeon). 🙂

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Not a good move. People plan, buy air, and look forward to a vacation.  Canceling is always disappointing. Just giving people a refund cuts wrong.

There's cancelling, and then there's cancelling: American Queen's whole company.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Sounds like they're handling it as well as possible. Thanks.

This just was announced today so need to see the dust settle and if people really get their refunds and if they pay the travel agents the commissions owed.....it took 2 years for Crystal to get straightened out and lots of clients and travel agents never saw any money.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, basor said:

This just was announced today so need to see the dust settle and if people really get their refunds and if they pay the travel agents the commissions owed.....it took 2 years for Crystal to get straightened out and lots of clients and travel agents never saw any money.

Not a good start ...

The phone line for American Queen Voyages is now a voice message that states the following: "American Queen Voyages has made the difficult decision to shut down and all future cruises have been canceled. Guests and customers should expect to be fully refunded for canceled cruises."

Impacted guests are directed to visit www.aqvrefunds.com, however, that currently leads to a broken website that says access denied