Rhapsody vs. Grandeur?

43 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Hello all.

I'm looking at a 7 or 8 day from Tampa on either Grandeur or Rhapsody. For those who have sailed on these ships, which would you prefer?

Thanks.

Honestly there's not much of a difference between the ships.  They are both vision class.  I'd just focus on the ports more.  I believe one sailing goes to the Bahamas plus cococay and others go to the roatan, belize, costa maya and Cozumel.  Depends what you want honestly.  If I was picking, I avoid Nassau and CocoCay as I just am not a big fan but I'm not you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Honestly there's not much of a difference between the ships.  They are both vision class.  I'd just focus on the ports more.  I believe one sailing goes to the Bahamas plus cococay and others go to the roatan, belize, costa maya and Cozumel.  Depends what you want honestly.  If I was picking, I avoid Nassau and CocoCay as I just am not a big fan but I'm not you.

Actually, the 8-day Rhapsody goes to Grand Cayman, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel. The 7-day Grandeur goes to Costa Maya, Belize City, Roatan and Cozumel.

54 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Actually, the 8-day Rhapsody goes to Grand Cayman, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel. The 7-day Grandeur goes to Costa Maya, Belize City, Roatan and Cozumel.

ok.  Same type of ship.  If you like snorkeling both are fine.  I'd pick whichever was cheaper overall.  If close to same price, definitely the 8 day!

• Thanks 1

I wasnt a fan of grandeur. It's been a long while since I did rhapsody so I favor rhapsody thinking it's better. Had issues on grandeur. 2 legs I had bugs in my bathroom sink for instance. Ship just arrived in Galveston from the islands when I did 4 legs, so maybe brought bugs from the islands. Surly waiter who didnt understand in texas we dont want someone telling us what to order. We still had the vegetarian menu and child mens and she woukdnt let me order from either. .. just wasnt a good experience. 

I'm considering rhapsody not grandeur.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Well, you are a firefly, so...

Yes I'm a big bug. These were little bugs, gnats coming thru my sink and on my shower curtain and walls of my bathroom. Finally got rid of them coming up thru the sink by leg 3. I admit I'm preduiced against grandeur. 

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

We love both ships, and when we sail on either of them out of Tampa, we look for which one stops at Key West and/or avoids Roatan (IMHO, the Caribbean's most depressing port)

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

We love both ships, and when we sail on either of them out of Tampa, we look for which one stops at Key West and/or avoids Roatan (IMHO, the Caribbean's most depressing port)

Roatan??  Can I ask why?

22 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Roatan??  Can I ask why?

Once you step outside of the port complex (still very slowly under construction), if you want to walk anywhere you will find yourself traversing 2-3 foot wide trash and waste filled open sewers (the stench is palatable) to cross the street, as you dodge the army of panhandlers, grifters, and hawkers. Filthiest port we have ever been to.

21 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Once you step outside of the port complex (still very slowly under construction), if you want to walk anywhere you will find yourself traversing 2-3 foot wide trash and waste filled open sewers (the stench is palatable) to cross the street, as you dodge the army of panhandlers, grifters, and hawkers. Filthiest port we have ever been to.

They have had a problem recently in the past year or so of the government allowing non Roatan citizens in and these individuals apparently have made a lot of trash and don't take care of the properties they are squatting in.  Regardless, yes, the port area is not like Cozumel or Costa Maya where the one person bought the land and made that particular port.  Directly outside Roatans Coxen Hole port it is congested and crazy BUT it's mostly tour guides waiting when the ship first docks.  Once you leave that area, there are some really beautiful spots and beaches.  It definitely is not a place to walk around and shop directly outside but one of those taxi drivers will gladly bring you to a decent spot.  As we have discovered in the past when we had a no show vendor once there.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Stick to the beaches, Roatan has the best snorkeling and scuba diving of any of the Caribbean Islands

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We were on both of the ships last year.  They honestly are so much alike.  Pick the cheapest and best ports and don’t worry about either ship, they are virtually the same.

I chose the 8-day Radiance. Thanks all!

• Like 1