Saturday is 21 days out, want to get early embark

love4god

How does the NCL check-in work?  Saturday is 21 days out form my cruise on the Joy and I want to try to get an early embarkation slot if I can.  Also, anything else I need to make sure I do early or when I get on the ship?  I know if I want to get dining/show booked I'll need to do it right away when I get on, or do it on the app if I can connect while waiting.  Also, I read there is a limited number of tickets on the Harvest Caye/Belize shuttle if I want to go to Placencia and I should get that right away.

Anything else I'm missing that I should look for to reserve or get ready for when they become available?  Thanks.

Edited by love4god

• love4god changed the title to Saturday is 21 days out, want to get early embark
22 minutes ago, love4god said:

How does the NCL check-in work?  Saturday is 21 days out form my cruise on the Joy and I want to try to get an early embarkation slot if I can.  Also, anything else I need to make sure I do early or when I get on the ship?  I know if I want to get dining/show booked I'll need to do it right away when I get on, or do it on the app if I can connect while waiting.  Also, I read there is a limited number of tickets on the Harvest Caye/Belize shuttle if I want to go to Placencia and I should get that right away.

Anything else I'm missing that I should look for to reserve or get ready for when they become available?  Thanks.

So….embarkation times from earliest to latest go as follows…

-Haven and mobility impaired

-Latitudes Members starting with Ambassador then Diamond, Sapphire, Platinum followed by the rest of Latitudes levels

-Then those with no Latitudes status who are assigned boarding numbers which wiill

be called in succession!

The rest?  Do your Muster Check in and go to restaurant reservation desk.

Edited by graphicguy

Just remember, the earlier you arrive at the terminal, the longer  you will wait to board.  An early checkin time does not guarantee an early boaring. Even if  you arrive at 0900, you will board after:

Handicapped, 

Haven,

Latitude status.

• Like 1

I did my online check in last week for the Joy cruise the week before yours leaves.  I stayed up on Friday night and logged in right after midnight.  I was able to get a 9:30-10:00 arrival time.  The Elements show was also available to book online shortly after the online check in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, love4god said:

How does the NCL check-in work?  Saturday is 21 days out form my cruise on the Joy and I want to try to get an early embarkation slot if I can.  Also, anything else I need to make sure I do early or when I get on the ship?  I know if I want to get dining/show booked I'll need to do it right away when I get on, or do it on the app if I can connect while waiting.  . Anything else I'm missing that I should look for to reserve or get ready for when they become available?  Thanks.

You can check-in when your count down clock says "21 days" (which changes at midnight eastern time). 

If the Joy is allowing pre-booking, you can book the show Elements 21 days prior to departure (do it after you finish check-in).

Dining reservations opened on October 17,2023,,, and most/all prime time dining is already sold out and you would have to book once you are on the ship. 

For check-in, you will need your contact information, emergency contact numbers (someone not cursing with you), passports, credit card for room charges, and mug shots. I literally mean a mug shot of each passenger - plain background, shoulders and above only, face/head straight at camera (no side shots or cutesy head tilts), no glasses, no head covering, neutral express (no big cheesy smile), high resolution.  

For a peak at the Joy, see my live post from the Joy below

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For check-in, you will need your contact information, emergency contact numbers (someone not cursing with you), 

Making all sorts of stupid typos myself I usually don't point them out. But this one was just too good to pass by! Thanks for making me smile and imagine what sort of  cursing may have been going on. 😄 

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Dining reservations opened on October 17,2023,,, and most/all prime time dining is already sold out and you would have to book once you are on the ship. 

Not that it matters, but if the cruise is 21 days away, surely dining reservartions didn't open in October? But, really not important now! Probably me misunderstanding something.

(By the way, I made several typos writing this. I THINK I caught most of them...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Not that it matters, but if the cruise is 21 days away, surely dining reservations didn't open in October? But, really not important now! Probably me misunderstanding something.

Dining reservations open 130 days prior to departure which was October 17, 2023 (125 days (October 22, 2023) for Club Balconies and Top Tier Latitudes; 120 days (October 27, 2023) for Balconies and below). Like Day 21, many stay up to midnight to get the best dining reservations (5:30-7:00 on sea days are the most popular time).

NCL holds some tables for onboard booking (but not necessarily for all times). For example, we are Diamond members, sailing on NCL up to 5 times a year, and board after Haven and Passengers requiring assistance. We got to dinner reservations desk on embarkation day within 10 minutes of embarkation starting and the most popular restaurant was sold out on some nights and available after 8:30 pm on other nights (which is too late for older folks like me). 

Edited by BirdTravels

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Dining reservations open 130 days prior to departure which was October 17, 2023

Hmmm...   21 days from Saturday making sailoff March 16

Counting back to November 1: 16+29+31+31+30=137days. But maybe we're not talking about the same cruise? October 17 would be around 150 days.

(Personally I think November is month we could just as well do without. But I guess we have to count it in anyway. 😄)

1 minute ago, Asawi said:

Hmmm...   21 days from Saturday making sailoff March 16

Counting back to November 1: 16+29+31+31+30=137days. But maybe we're not talking about the same cruise? October 17 would be around 150 days.

(Personally I think November is month we could just as well do without. But I guess we have to count it in anyway. 😄)

Oh yes,,, you are brilliant. Dining reservations opened on November 7. 

The point I was making to the OP is that they missed the boat on dining reservations. 

Just now, BirdTravels said:

The point I was making to the OP is that they missed the boat on dining reservations. 

Absolutely agree on  prebooking being a great idea! Makes things more relaxed onboard.

But hopefully there will be good slots available to OP once onboard! 

I already booked two of my 3 specialty meals. Just hoping to get that last Ocean Blue resv on embarkation day. 

I'll just need to try to book elements tonight after check in. Thanks!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, love4god said:

You can't pick an embarkation time.  You select a CHECK IN time,  Embarkation is assigned when you chek an and is based mainly on several things that are completely out of your control (for example B2B, Haven, and ADA passengers all biard before general boarding begins, sometimes CAS passengers as well).  You like most everyone else wnats on the ship as quickly as possible.  Pick your check in time, then sut back and relax until your embarkation group is called once you are at the pier.  You will be on the in pleanty of time to enjoy yoru cruise!

22 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You will get a check in time, not a boarding time, you will be given aboard g number at the terminal.

Have yet to see one of these boarding numbers when starting a cruise. Only time I saw one was when we went to port early in NYC and needed to reach zero before everyone could go back on.

8 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Have yet to see one of these boarding numbers when starting a cruise. Only time I saw one was when we went to port early in NYC and needed to reach zero before everyone could go back on.

I was always given a number at the MCT, maybe they don’t give them out anymore?

30 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I was always given a number at the MCT, maybe they don’t give them out anymore?

All depends on where you’re cruising from. MCT I hear does but I avoid Caribbean cruises as much as possible.

32 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

All depends on where you’re cruising from. MCT I hear does but I avoid Caribbean cruises as much as possible.

I live about 10 miles from the MCT so it’s where we like to cruise from (also 20 miles from Cape Liberty). I’ve lived here my entire life and it wasn’t until I was pushing 40 that I learned about these ports!

5 hours ago, love4god said:

I already booked two of my 3 specialty meals. Just hoping to get that last Ocean Blue resv on embarkation day. 

I'll just need to try to book elements tonight after check in. Thanks!

I will be on at midnight also. I get to board with Platinum but I want to see if I can book Elements my DW was annoyed about the lack of shows to book on this cruise so at least I can do that for her.

Are you sure about passengers needing assistance getting priority boarding? We board the Jade on Sunday and months ago contacted NCL’s Access Department regarding getting a wheelchair for Mrs. Schmoopie for boarding. (She had a severe leg fracture a few months ago and is still mobility challenged).

The response from NCL said they will provide a wheelchair for boarding, but they also said the following: 

“Please be advised we do not provide priority boarding for any guests. However, we can provide guests with wheelchair assistance at embarkation and debarkation. This has been requested, please seek assistance once inside the terminal.”

Edited by schmoopie17

Were you able to book elements?  I checked in then went to book elements and it said "not available to book".  I supposed in the time it took to check in the pre-cruise slots may have gotten filled?  But I was checking by maybe 12:20-12:25.  Weird.

1 hour ago, love4god said:

Were you able to book elements?  I checked in then went to book elements and it said "not available to book".  I supposed in the time it took to check in the pre-cruise slots may have gotten filled?  But I was checking by maybe 12:20-12:25.  Weird.

It's probably first come first serve. It has been on the ships I have been on. (The "small/medium" ones). No problem at all getting seats!

Never been on Joy though.

Edited by Asawi

17 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Are you sure about passengers needing assistance getting priority boarding? We board the Jade on Sunday and months ago contacted NCL’s Access Department regarding getting a wheelchair for Mrs. Schmoopie for boarding. (She had a severe leg fracture a few months ago and is still mobility challenged).

The response from NCL said they will provide a wheelchair for boarding, but they also said the following: 

“Please be advised we do not provide priority boarding for any guests. However, we can provide guests with wheelchair assistance at embarkation and debarkation. This has been requested, please seek assistance once inside the terminal.”

Well...I can say that's simply not true.  Every cruise I've been on, priority boarding was offered first to those who were mobility limited and Haven guests, followed by the upper levels of Latitudes members, then the lower levels of Platinum followed by general boarding based on the numbers provided during the pier check in.