LIVE from Discovery: Feb 24 - Mar 2

New2cruise2022

20 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

Your writing is just hysterical!

My husband and I will be boarding Discovery on March 9 for the California Coastal cruise.  He's been a bodybuilder most of his life so he's very curious to hear about the gym from the perspective of other serious weightlifters.  Anything you can share on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

Have a fantastic voyage -- and a very Happy Birthday!!

I will put my boys on it as expert consultants. Me and @drwbrt workout regularly but we are far from bodybuilders. 🏋️♀️ 

Since our cruise last, me and @drwbrt decided to work toward a healthier lifestyle. Between the 2 of us, we have shed 150 lbs. So, we will be in the gym daily. We will get you pictures of the equipment and provide context for the best times to go and how crowded the gym was or wasn’t throughout the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Funny story for us. We were on an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver with my 87yo father and his bride. Leaving our cabins on the way to dinner and the power went off. We procede down the hallway and within a few minutes the power came back on. Since there had been a power issue the ship had to go out into the ocean and not sail up the Inside Passage. Many were not happy but it was a c'est la vie moment for us. Glad your dinner was good and power was only briefly out. 

You have a great attitude. Not everyone would say c’est la vie and even fewer would call this a funny story. But the ones that do, like you, enjoy life more and get more value out of life’s experiences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEacret said:

on the plus side…..we will be on a cruise 😊

It’s hard to complain about life at all when you are on a cruise ship. This is bumper sticker/oife motto level philosophy. I’m sure you will have a great time on your cruise. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I will put my boys on it as expert consultants. Me and @drwbrt workout regularly but we are far from bodybuilders. 🏋️♀️ 

Since our cruise last, me and @drwbrt decided to work toward a healthier lifestyle. Between the 2 of us, we have shed 150 lbs. So, we will be in the gym daily. We will get you pictures of the equipment and provide context for the best times to go and how crowded the gym was or wasn’t throughout the cruise. 

Thank you so much -- and congrats on the weight loss! We've been on a lot of cruises over our 30+ years together, so he's figured out how to enjoy everything and still stay "on the plan" ... bottom line, if you put something in your mouth and it's not one of the most delicious things you've ever eaten (or drank), don't have another taste ... lots of other options will head your way soon enough.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

Thank you so much -- and congrats on the weight loss! We've been on a lot of cruises over our 30+ years together, so he's figured out how to enjoy everything and still stay "on the plan" ... bottom line, if you put something in your mouth and it's not one of the most delicious things you've ever eaten (or drank), don't have another taste ... lots of other options will head your way soon enough.

We talked about this exactly!

Our philosophy is: “Give me a reason to finish this …” 

If it isn’t amazing, push it away. Glad to hear we aren’t alone in this thought. 

• Like 1

Just now, New2cruise2022 said:

We talked about this exactly!

Our philosophy is: “Give me a reason to finish this …” 

If it isn’t amazing, push it away. Glad to hear we aren’t alone in this thought. 

It's really something we focus on when we cruise.  We're on a premium cruise line.  We've purchased the Premier package.  So pretty much, we have access to the finest things the ship has to offer.  So why settle for anything that's not great, when you have already paid for the best? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2and2 said:

See what you think about the Peach Tea Smash. It has Woodford Princess private label Bourbon.  It is a refreshing drink. But if it is too sweet, for you, call out that same Bourbon in an old fashioned without the cherries. Got them at Crooners.

This sounds right up my alley. I drink Woodford almost exclusively at home. 

• Like 2

Embarkation Day: 

It is finally here. So hopefully that means we will get to show you the good stuff. Cellphones charged and ready to go. It should be a fun day with lots of posts and pictures. 

(MedallionNet permitting.)

IMG_0543.thumb.jpeg.67cd93735e510cbba40f620c16188a4c.jpeg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Embarkation Day: 

It is finally here. So hopefully that means we will get to show you the good stuff. Cellphones charged and ready to go. It should be a fun day with lots of posts and pictures. 

Your ship just pulled in to San Pedro.  Here is a (rather grainy) picture of the Discovery getting ready to dock.  I look forward to your continued updates!

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 7.11.54 AM.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

It’s true. He rarely drinks anything else. No soda, no juice, no coffee, no water. When @drwbrt is at his house it is EXCLUSIVELY Woodford. 

Here is a challenge for him. The Princess drink menu list  "Jack Daniels Frank Sinatra".  I was not able to find it on board. I really wanted to try it. Two separate bar tenders looked at me like I was crazy.  Also they have Zacapa 23 rum, and Remy Martin XO.  Try something new.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

Here is a challenge for him. The Princess drink menu list  "Jack Daniels Frank Sinatra".  I was not able to find it on board. I really wanted to try it. Two separate bar tenders looked at me like I was crazy.  Also they have Zacapa 23 rum, and Remy Martin XO.  Try something new.

A challenge that is focused on searching for new and exciting adult beverages? 🍹 🥃 🍻 This doesn’t sound like homework. Accepted.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

Your ship just pulled in to San Pedro.  Here is a (rather grainy) picture of the Discovery getting ready to dock.  I look forward to your continued updates!

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 7.11.54 AM.jpg

Thanks for the picture share. You successfully derailed my morning (not a bad thing) as I went down a rabbit to learn about UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) so I could figure out the exact time of docking. 

For those that were uninformed, as I was, the UTC on the west coast has a -8:00 offset. 

IMG_0544.thumb.jpeg.388b853fd04e25efa47156792e9cea47.jpeg

So, arrived at 5:46 AM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Embarkation Day: 

Get to the Port by 9:00am. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2and2 said:

Challenge accepted. 

• Like 1

Embarkation Day (continued):

We arrived at port at 9:00 AM. We made our way to the bag drop and found a porter that was very kind and took our bags away. The traffic directors were very efficient and kept things moving.

We circled around and parked. We have cruised out of San Pedro before so we benefited from some familiarity, but the signage was helpful. 

Parking is set up to Tap or Swipe a credit card. 💳 There is no parking ticket, as your entry is clocked by the credit card and you use the same card upon exit. Very convenient and easy. 

We found a great parking spot at this hour and with a short walk, we entered the tent (pre-security) at 9:19 AM. 

IMG_0552.thumb.jpeg.95c76c18b8a49e4b7a168a65d24bcf59.jpeg

Note: Getting to the port as early as we did, the last cruise is still collecting their bags, mulling around, and waiting for rides. This creates a bit of a choke point and the feeling is somewhat chaotic. What took 19 minutes felt like about 40 minutes. Just be patient and know that it works out great.

Tip: the parking lot is emptying as it fills up. Don’t be shy to park as close or as far away as you prefer. We moved close and found a spot as someone left. 

• Like 2