LIVE from Discovery: Feb 24 - Mar 2

New2cruise2022

2 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

I have friends on that cruise. They asked me to go but I'm right in the zone and said I will take my chances with the weather. I can watch it from my backyard. 

I understand "take your chances with weather" on land.  Do we think Princess will make great efforts to sail for the best viewing—location and weather? @MEacret what was "promised" (I use that term very lightly) in the booking?

• Like 1

It makes me feel better that you as a lawyer signed off on that terms of agreement contract that is required to board. I actually read most of it before saying "what the heck, just sign it". I had to wonder how many just check it off without looking it over. 

• Like 1

Day-Before Shenanigans: 

Good morning from Downey, California. 

Everyone in our travel party is here in Downey. As I mentioned before, we cruised out of San Pedro last year and  Downey offered a newer hotel at a better rate than anything close to the pier. With embarkation on a Saturday, we don’t mind the drive in because traffic isn’t bad. 

IMG_0438.thumb.jpeg.8779fb7dfdf18489652e4008fe887171.jpeg

This mural is part of the Footlocker storefront. 

IMG_0483.thumb.jpeg.e16d97839f65dae8be12c867ad57d0d2.jpeg

The Springhill Suites on Firestone is where we stayed last (new build) and we liked it so much, we returned to the place. It is situated next to a new Starbucks, a new Dunkin’ (I know, the proximity of competing locations is interesting), and a new Footlocker in a standalone, non-mall, non-strip mall building. The parking is ample and secure with great lighting. The area feels very clean and safe, just like it did this time last year. 

IMG_0484.thumb.jpeg.cf7707934da44d0135952f659c5accf7.jpeg

IMG_0459.thumb.jpeg.efb9f5f422f43ea98f1395d21659485a.jpeg

The rooms (we got two of them) feature two queen beds and a sofa bed trundle, a huge walk-in closet (by hotel standards), a desk area, fridge and microwave, and a nice clean bathroom with a walk-in shower. 

The room still feels brand new. The cleanliness is absolute: no stains in the linens or towel, no unsightly hairs lurking in the sink or on the floor, and no crumbs or bugs or anything out of order to speak of. Very clean and nice.  

IMG_0466.thumb.jpeg.8ded22f0605795e4fda43a97c58d0548.jpeg

Two queens. Ample plugs for chargers (x2) and CPAP machines (x2)

IMG_0460.thumb.jpeg.f5e59e3c38d08a2662ddddbea487021f.jpeg

IMG_0473.thumb.jpeg.8fcb68b8a51674aabc1d3b38134e930d.jpeg

Sofa bed with trundle. 

IMG_0471.thumb.jpeg.d5ee00748de1ef41b59a04a0144b201e.jpeg

This fridge looks blue. 😥

IMG_0485.thumb.jpeg.f412336ca5381fbee0099671c17afe7a.jpeg
This fridge look Blue too. A happier blue. 😄

IMG_0468.thumb.jpeg.fa92a416f5aae24f3f51798239d4ee59.jpeg

IMG_0469.thumb.jpeg.e96ab597f94e6221b8536c1809f130f9.jpeg

IMG_0465.thumb.jpeg.95e2d4f58019c28b046324b393b945cb.jpeg

We ❤️ this bench.  👍🏿 Perfect for opening suitcases 🧳 and unpacking/repacking without putting suitcases on the bed you are going to sleep in later. 🛌 

As far as experience with the hotel, the staff has been very friendly at every turn. Check in was easy despite being surprisingly busy at 10:30 PM with two front desk agents and a line when we walked through the front door. Competence was not an issue and communication was friendly and included smiles, offers to contact with any needs, and “please” and “thank you” were commonplace. 

The housekeeping and maintenance staff seem to be everywhere this morning and they are also kind and courteous beyond what is often experienced in hospitality. One staff member with a cleaning cart was not going to use the elevator when she saw the two of us after the door opened. We made room and welcomed her aboard. She double checked to make sure we wouldn’t view her ride on the elevator an inconvenience. We assured her we would like to share the elevator and she expressed her gratitude.

On our value scale, these attitudes rate VERY high. When positive attitudes proceed execution, it is easier to look past mistakes and capture value. 

Edited by New2cruise2022
Delete Picture
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 2and2 said:

It makes me feel better that you as a lawyer signed off on that terms of agreement contract that is required to board. I actually read most of it before saying "what the heck, just sign it". I had to wonder how many just check it off without looking it over. 

Well, I’m not here to weigh in or offer legal advice. But you aren’t wrong with “what the heck, just sign it.” Most contracts with commercial carriers (trains, planes, buses, cruise ships) are boiler plate, non-negotiable, take-it-or-leave-it instruments that consumers are left to accept or move on. It is rare that they don’t fall into standardized, best practice guidelines and regulations for each particular industry. So while there are some terms that seem burdensome or unfair, they are packed with protections for the traveler as well.  

Knowing the T&Cs help you manage expectations for your travel when things go right and for when they go wrong. I pay closest attention to cancellation/interruption and remedy/refund clauses. I accept that is how things work and plan accordingly with travel insurance or passing on the offer. 

FWIW — It really is crazy how much we contract with businesses as we make complex and expensive purchases. Most of the time we do this without a lawyer. This includes home purchases and car purchases … and student loans. For the most part, society keeps on plugging along and we make it work … until it doesn’t. Then the lawyers come rushing in. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nina On The Sea said:

Following as well...love the little details. Please try to detail the drinks too! 

We got you!🍻🍹🍸🥃 We’ll be posting menus, pics, and ratings/reviews. The reviews of the first five drinks of the day will be more detailed than the last 10 🥴. If you have a specific drink you want reviewed, I’ll get it early. We’ll post a lot here, as you can see, but there will be more pics on IG, just search the SVB from the profile pic.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

We’ve already overpacked. I have enough shirts to go to each of the MDRs each night  in a different fit, but childhood nostalgia drives me to an outlet mall. We went to Citadell Outlets in Commerce, CA. It’s clean, great variety of stores, the weather is fantastic, it’s been a great place to walk around but the prices are a total loser. Last chance clearance t-shirts at $34 are a loser. Members Mark / Kirkland / RDFL / TJ for life. 

IMG_5715.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Italy52 said:

@drwbrt, I used to live in Downey many years ago.  Thanks for the pictures -- what a change.

There’s been a lot of investment in the last few years for sure. Even in the last year since the last cruise several things have popped up. 

• Like 1

Birthday Breakfast

The kid (22 years) loves a diner and we can’t blame him. Just down the road from the hotel is Bob’s Big Boy Broiler. The ambiance hits. All of the charm of a retro vibe without any hints of old, weary or worn. 

IMG_0505.thumb.jpeg.7ed72f73fff79da69f41307c0dae7e3c.jpeg

IMG_0506.thumb.jpeg.3cc8000c8c132ac4e2979ba93218bccf.jpeg

IMG_0494.thumb.jpeg.1db2f93d95dddfe51d9365de35a2e0d4.jpeg

The younger generation. Birthday boy on the left. 

Party of five in a half-moon booth is cozy. A little extra room wouldn’t have been bad, but everyone was comfortable. Coffee has a very nice taste but first cup hit a little on the tepid side. Easy to drink but a few more degrees to the hot side wouldn’t hurt.  Second cup didn’t disappoint. Drwbrt took the first sip and offered a warning of hot coffee. Mmmm. 

IMG_0507.thumb.jpeg.9bb729a576f9347c5515ca7b44130952.jpeg

IMG_0498.thumb.jpeg.1db373693c04f2fca6a46d8b882c03b9.jpeg

All of the food was pretty good. The ambiance exceeded the culinary experience, but that isn’t a complaint about the food. None of the food was below a standard that disappointed, but breakfast food being what it is, nothing was memorable either. Eggs were cooked to order and tasted good. The bacon had a nice flavor and the sausage links surprised (in a welcomed way) in spice. The biscuits were nice and fluffy, baked even all the way through. The gravy had a nice flavor but maybe lacked a bit in portion and coverage of the biscuit. Pancakes, hash browns, and waffles were all good and plates were left without crumbs. 

One of the hardest things to get right in any restaurant (on land or sea) is temperature. Is the food or drink the desired temp? This is that Goldilocks kind of balance we all seek. Not too cold, not too hot … just right. From the coffee to the bacon, all of the food lacked the straight-from-the-kitchen heat, but none of it was cold. 

Would recommend. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 1emerald1 said:

My very first after school job was as a hostess at Bob's Big Boy in Huntington Beach!

Really has such a good vibe. Your first after school job sounds way better than mine. I was a bagboy at a grocery store. Yes, I bagged groceries (and I was pretty good at organizing groceries), but I honestly spent more time corralling carts 🛒in the heat and humidity and cleaning up spills and vomit. 🤮 “Clean up on Aisle 3!”

28 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Really has such a good vibe. Your first after school job sounds way better than mine. I was a bagboy at a grocery store. Yes, I bagged groceries (and I was pretty good at organizing groceries), but I honestly spent more time corralling carts 🛒in the heat and humidity and cleaning up spills and vomit. 🤮 “Clean up on Aisle 3!”

Haha!  My oldest daughter was a "bag boy", and I felt so bad for her when she was on cart duty during the heat!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

The biscuits were nice and fluffy, baked even all the way through. The gravy had a nice flavor but maybe lacked a bit in portion and coverage of the biscuit.

I come from the land (not originally, but longest in years) of White Lily Flour and cathead biscuits IFYKYK.  When I say this biscuit delivered, it really did.  I agree, I would have liked 20 more degrees Fahrenheit and about 3X the gravy, but a very good biscuit. Cross section shows some very nice rise and what looks and tasted like a pocket of buttery goodness.  Just hotter next time, please.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.45.59 PM.png

• Like 2

@New2cruise2022 got to do a little intro.  I thought I'd give some flavor and talk about how we landed on the stateroom we did...even though we got upgraded to something else in the end.

Our Approach to Cruising

We're Super Value Bros, we're two brothers with large families, navigating vacations to maximize value for a diverse group. While family vacations are about being the best dads/husbands and enjoying simple pleasures like morning bagel runs, our solo adventures are different. Together, we seek to make every moment count, from early mornings to late nights, exploring new foods and places with the enthusiasm of seasoned but polite consumers.

This ethos extends to our cruising style. For our seven-day voyage, we aim to maximize every one of the 164 hours aboard, seeking value in every experience rather than adhering to a strict schedule.

Why Inside Staterooms on Deck 15?

Our research, heavily supported by CruiseDeckPlans.com, led us to two unique inside staterooms on deck 15. Positioned near the panoramic lift lobby, these rooms provide unparalleled access to the ship's amenities. The layout of these staterooms, with the bed parallel to the hallway, offers a larger desk/vanity area and a more functional space for non-couples, with the closet serving as a private changing area. More photos and video of this once we are on board.

Screenshot2024-02-23at3_10_17PM.thumb.png.34b928957bc5e1f0c8c58ee8c12d652e.png

The strategic location was a key factor. Being on deck 15 puts us just a flight of stairs away from the action on deck 16, allowing us to immerse ourselves in the cruise life effortlessly. Our choice ensures we're not just passengers but active participants in our voyage. The cutaway below shows we're right below the heart of Lido.

Screenshot2024-02-23at2_58_37PM.thumb.png.a7fa034c07b52a10fc1a6a5c42f49211.png

Maximizing Value Beyond the Stateroom

Our decision reflects a broader approach to cruising: it's not merely about the luxury of your room but how it facilitates your adventure. By prioritizing strategic location and efficient room design, we're set to make the most of our time on the Discovery Princess.

This mindset also influenced our package choice, opting for enhancements that offer more meaningful experiences over a fancier room. For those traveling with larger parties, consider the economics and added comfort of dual occupancy versus grouping together in a single stateroom. In our case, the additional cost for separate rooms was marginal ($300) compared to the value of privacy, extra bathroom space, and overall convenience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m enjoying your Live from. I’m from S. CA.,get there often to visit family  I needed to see this through a Tourist eyes. Apparently I need to get out there and see some of this stuff. Never heard of Porto’s and didn’t know that there was still a version of Bob’s big boy out there.

Have a great drive to the port tomorrow and looking forward to more on the ship reports.

Thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drwbrt said:

Our decision reflects a broader approach to cruising: it's not merely about the luxury of your room but how it facilitates your adventure. By prioritizing strategic location and efficient room design, we're set to make the most of our time on the Discovery Princess.

Totes agree. For those reasons I so love those cabins right above the bridge. (Yeah, those cabins I can't book.)

Since they're out of the picture, for next summer's cruise I picked one of the cabins (most forward on the port side) by the pool on the Sun deck. The corridor with windows is kind of unique on a cruise ship. And those couches by the bar are somewhat of a consolation for not having the loveseat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, drwbrt said:

I understand "take your chances with weather" on land.  Do we think Princess will make great efforts to sail for the best viewing—location and weather? @MEacret what was "promised" (I use that term very lightly) in the booking?

No promises that I’m aware of. My chances are better on the cruise than where we live and on the plus side…..we will be on a cruise 😊

• Like 1

Birthday Dinner:

IMG_5725.thumb.jpeg.3b36be55c9de0720a692496a45eee431.jpeg

Outback Steakhouse in Norwalk. We rolled up at 4:25 PM to beat the dinner rush. We also beat the staff switchover schedule we were told it would be “5, 10 minutes”. 

IMG_0512.thumb.jpeg.cca50bddcbab8162d12244288872fb28.jpeg

The host kept yelling “Cartwright” but sadly know one answered. 

Then the power went out … for about 15 looong seconds that felt a few minutes longer than that. No lights. No music. G’day for a power outage, mate. 

Unlike Jerry and friends, the quote was accurate and we were seated 9 minutes later. There was bread within a few minutes of sitting down. Soft and warm bread — and most importantly, the butter was a fantastic temperature. Just cold enough to get a dollop of the whipped butter, but warm enough to spread perfectly and melt. 

IMG_0514.thumb.jpeg.4eb8669aec01e8b25dc8c0666c8f7059.jpeg
Bread so nice, they brought it twice. Carbs for the win. 

We were ready to order when server arrived. Drinks and food. All at once. She was smart and kind. She asked if we wanted more bread before she left to put our order in. There was a resounding yes. She left and returned with two more loaves and more of that perfect temperature butter. 

The food arrived quickly in the right succession, salads followed by steaks and sides shortly after we finished our salad. Steaks were all ordered medium rare. They were seasoned nicely and the temp was great — medium rare in temperature and in color. The meat was tender according to the cut (center cut sirloin). Hungry and happy. 

IMG_0520.thumb.jpeg.e85768dbdb4ec2dfd2bdbd944ddd3f4c.jpeg

IMG_0522.thumb.jpeg.c156128d17d73bd1f7df1e09f8b1d87c.jpeg

IMG_0524.thumb.jpeg.c0ff887c7622f1c48b5ccd8305c3e4d7.jpeg

Power … out. Again. So strange. It wasn’t 15 seconds this time. Probably closer to 2 minutes. Enough time to enjoy a few bites in some soft lighting. It was closing in on dusk but by no means dark outside. Would have been a different story if it happened an hour later. Lights came back up. We finished. We paid. And off to enjoy the rest of embarkation eve. 

IMG_0526.thumb.jpeg.3c799b82ea0bac29170b14eea40ec225.jpeg

Power Outage = Mood Lighting

It is interesting that the power going out was no big deal. No fear. No one nervous. Our thought was, “How different would the reaction be if you were eating steak at the Crown Grill, out at sea, when the power went off.” Yeah, this was much better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Outback Steakhouse in Norwalk.

We recognize there are other steakhouse options that are less...pedestrian...available to us. We are not afraid to spend money for good value. Ultimately, we took the birthday boy to Outback Steakhouse because it offered the perfect blend of location, convenience, a hot meal for a steak-loving crew, and unbeatable value through gift card savings and pre-purchase.

Similar to the cruise, we figured out a way to soften the blow of a vacation week without four consecutive visits to In-N-Out, not that there's anything wrong with that (in fact, we might be there later tonight).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Birthday Dinner:

IMG_5725.thumb.jpeg.3b36be55c9de0720a692496a45eee431.jpeg

Outback Steakhouse in Norwalk. We rolled up at 4:25 PM to beat the dinner rush. We also beat the staff switchover schedule we were told it would be “5, 10 minutes”. 

IMG_0512.thumb.jpeg.cca50bddcbab8162d12244288872fb28.jpeg

The host kept yelling “Cartwright” but sadly know one answered. 

Then the power went out … for about 15 looong seconds that felt a few minutes longer than that. No lights. No music. G’day for a power outage, mate. 

Unlike Jerry and friends, the quote was accurate and we were seated 9 minutes later. There was bread within a few minutes of sitting down. Soft and warm bread — and most importantly, the butter was a fantastic temperature. Just cold enough to get a dollop of the whipped butter, but warm enough to spread perfectly and melt. 

IMG_0514.thumb.jpeg.4eb8669aec01e8b25dc8c0666c8f7059.jpeg
Bread so nice, they brought it twice. Carbs for the win. 

We were ready to order when server arrived. Drinks and food. All at once. She was smart and kind. She asked if we wanted more bread before she left to put our order in. There was a resounding yes. She left and returned with two more loaves and more of that perfect temperature butter. 

The food arrived quickly in the right succession, salads followed by steaks and sides shortly after we finished our salad. Steaks were all ordered medium rare. They were seasoned nicely and the temp was great — medium rare in temperature and in color. The meat was tender according to the cut (center cut sirloin). Hungry and happy. 

IMG_0520.thumb.jpeg.e85768dbdb4ec2dfd2bdbd944ddd3f4c.jpeg

IMG_0522.thumb.jpeg.c156128d17d73bd1f7df1e09f8b1d87c.jpeg

IMG_0524.thumb.jpeg.c0ff887c7622f1c48b5ccd8305c3e4d7.jpeg

Power … out. Again. So strange. It wasn’t 15 seconds this time. Probably closer to 2 minutes. Enough time to enjoy a few bites in some soft lighting. It was closing in on dusk but by no means dark outside. Would have been a different story if it happened an hour later. Lights came back up. We finished. We paid. And off to enjoy the rest of embarkation eve. 

IMG_0526.thumb.jpeg.3c799b82ea0bac29170b14eea40ec225.jpeg

Power Outage = Mood Lighting

It is interesting that the power going out was no big deal. No fear. No one nervous. Our thought was, “How different would the reaction be if you were eating steak at the Crown Grill, out at sea, when the power went off.” Yeah, this was much better. 

Funny story for us. We were on an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver with my 87yo father and his bride. Leaving our cabins on the way to dinner and the power went off. We procede down the hallway and within a few minutes the power came back on. Since there had been a power issue the ship had to go out into the ocean and not sail up the Inside Passage. Many were not happy but it was a c'est la vie moment for us. Glad your dinner was good and power was only briefly out. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

I’m enjoying your Live from. I’m from S. CA.,get there often to visit family  I needed to see this through a Tourist eyes. Apparently I need to get out there and see some of this stuff. Never heard of Porto’s and didn’t know that there was still a version of Bob’s big boy out there.

Have a great drive to the port tomorrow and looking forward to more on the ship reports.

Thanks.

Porto's has a few locations now, and always a wait in line and packed - great value and delicious food. Glendale, Burbank, Downey, Buena Park, Northridge and West Covina. The newest one is going in Downtown Disney this year.

Bob's Big Boy down the street from Warner Bros and Disney in Burbank is going strong, in addition to a couple other locations in Southern California. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, drwbrt said:

We got you!🍻🍹🍸🥃 We’ll be posting menus, pics, and ratings/reviews. The reviews of the first five drinks of the day will be more detailed than the last 10 🥴. If you have a specific drink you want reviewed, I’ll get it early. We’ll post a lot here, as you can see, but there will be more pics on IG, just search the SVB from the profile pic.  

See what you think about the Peach Tea Smash. It has Woodford Princess private label Bourbon.  It is a refreshing drink. But if it is too sweet, for you, call out that same Bourbon in an old fashioned without the cherries. Got them at Crooners.

• Like 2

Your writing is just hysterical!

My husband and I will be boarding Discovery on March 9 for the California Coastal cruise.  He's been a bodybuilder most of his life so he's very curious to hear about the gym from the perspective of other serious weightlifters.  Anything you can share on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

Have a fantastic voyage -- and a very Happy Birthday!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drwbrt said:

@New2cruise2022 got to do a little intro.  I thought I'd give some flavor and talk about how we landed on the stateroom we did...even though we got upgraded to something else in the end.

Our Approach to Cruising

We're Super Value Bros, we're two brothers with large families, navigating vacations to maximize value for a diverse group. While family vacations are about being the best dads/husbands and enjoying simple pleasures like morning bagel runs, our solo adventures are different. Together, we seek to make every moment count, from early mornings to late nights, exploring new foods and places with the enthusiasm of seasoned but polite consumers.

This ethos extends to our cruising style. For our seven-day voyage, we aim to maximize every one of the 164 hours aboard, seeking value in every experience rather than adhering to a strict schedule.

Why Inside Staterooms on Deck 15?

Our research, heavily supported by CruiseDeckPlans.com, led us to two unique inside staterooms on deck 15. Positioned near the panoramic lift lobby, these rooms provide unparalleled access to the ship's amenities. The layout of these staterooms, with the bed parallel to the hallway, offers a larger desk/vanity area and a more functional space for non-couples, with the closet serving as a private changing area. More photos and video of this once we are on board.

Screenshot2024-02-23at3_10_17PM.thumb.png.34b928957bc5e1f0c8c58ee8c12d652e.png

The strategic location was a key factor. Being on deck 15 puts us just a flight of stairs away from the action on deck 16, allowing us to immerse ourselves in the cruise life effortlessly. Our choice ensures we're not just passengers but active participants in our voyage. The cutaway below shows we're right below the heart of Lido.

Screenshot2024-02-23at2_58_37PM.thumb.png.a7fa034c07b52a10fc1a6a5c42f49211.png

Maximizing Value Beyond the Stateroom

This mindset also influenced our package choice, opting for enhancements that offer more meaningful experiences over a fancier room. For those traveling with larger parties, consider the economics and added comfort of dual occupancy versus grouping together in a single stateroom. In our case, the additional cost for separate rooms was marginal ($300) compared to the value of privacy, extra bathroom space, and overall convenience.

EXCELLENT breakdown! Love your approach!

• Like 1