LIVE from Discovery: Feb 24 - Mar 2

New2cruise2022

11 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

Looking forward to your ongoing live review.  You guys sound like you are going to have a blast.

We would have a blast getting root canals together. 🪥 🦷 This will be next level blast for us. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We would have a blast getting root canals together. 🪥 🦷 This will be next level blast for us. 

Mexico is #3 for dental tourism. We haven't planned any extract—err excursions, yet.

• Haha 2

Following!!!!

Phroggie,  have you thought about trying to game the system to get that front balcony that you want?

People used to be able to make a request to get deluxe balcony cabins, for two passengers.  Sadly, I think that is no more.

Perhaps think about booking it for three,  and then cancel out your so-called third wheel???

• Like 1

Just off the Discovery Feb 3/10 and loved everything about the ship. Check out Cole Bockman the Cruise Director from NZ. He is hilarious and vertigo talented, as are the rest of the entertainment staff. Check out his tribute to Elvis show in Princess Live. 

• Like 1

Travel Day (continued):

Still chugging along. Navigating Las Vegas traffic. We are regular visitors and I don’t think there is ever a time I’ve gone through this city without considerable traffic. Not LA level traffic, but an unusual amount of congestion for the time of day. 

My boys were happy to see the “Statue of Literby” from I-15 as we passed through. (Luckily, all of their pants are still ok and nobody is about to do anything.”

We are about 40 minutes ahead of schedule to pick up @drwbrt at the airport in Ontario, CA. Then, another 40 miles to the hotel. (Right now the map says that’s a 90-minute commute. I’m hopeful that time is a little shorter after 9 PM.)

Despite a little traffic, could not be better weather on this drive for February. Sunny the whole way. No wind. Oh, and 70 F in Vegas. Much better than the 37 F we woke up to in Utah. IMG_0410.thumb.jpeg.2d3d78ade3ca11c57ed98efcfb56a64b.jpeg

Note: We waved at Doug on the top of Caesar’s as we passed. 👋🏻

Edited by New2cruise2022
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Following along and am looking forward to your reports.  IF at all possible, posting pictures of the MDR menus would be amazing as we will be on Discovery this year and want to try to plan specialty dinning well in advance.  Have a wonderful time and thank you !

Kind comments from all of you. Thank you. 

We intend to include menus, Patters, and food and drink as much as reasonably possible. 

We will share our experiences and opinions, and we look forward to boarding Discovery so we can even out all of these words with the photos — lots of photos. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Grab some pastries or sandwiches at Portos in the morning. They are an excellent bakery!

Thanks for the heads up. There is a location very close to our hotel. Any suggestions or favorites from the menu? It’s my oldest son’s birthday tomorrow and it might be the perfect place to pick something up to celebrate. 

Travel Day (continued):

My son is doing a great job behind the wheel as my personal chauffeur. (Tax breaks aren’t the only reason to have kids.) I rarely — like NEVER — sit anywhere but the driver’s seat. But his insistence that he drive has afforded me opportunity to get this LIVE underway, albeit filled with details few care about. 

After leaving Las Vegas (Nic Cage), we have made it across the desert with no delay. My son, while a good driver has a notoriously small bladder. So, like a previous post, our trip is all about filling and emptying. The tank is full enough to make it to our next stop, but my son’s tank is too full to drive that far without a stop. 

So we will find a bathroom. Or a parking garage. (Don’t judge. I can’t have my son suffer from uromysitisis. 

IMG_0414.thumb.jpeg.b640f31a5f7ab209f8b6d5b702b144de.jpeg

• Like 3

I look forward to following your posts. We’ll be on a 10 day cruise on Discovery to Mexico in April. Your sense of humor will make the waiting better I’m sure. Enjoy!

• Like 1

TIL: 

Mexico took home the bronze in dental tourism with 6.5 million people making the trip for some laughing gas and a high-pitched drill. And a taco. And a margarita. 

#1 is India with prices 70% less than dental work in the US. Some veneers and chicken korma please. #2 is Hungary. 

IMG_0417.thumb.jpeg.07452253fe62c1fd60fc7a97067e40c2.jpeg

This trivia post is sponsored by my son’s pit stop. Found a gas station so we didn’t have to resort to a parking garage. 

IMG_0418.jpeg.53ee476a994304534383d03df579bbb0.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MEacret said:

I look forward to following your posts. We’ll be on a 10 day cruise on Discovery to Mexico in April. Your sense of humor will make the waiting better I’m sure. Enjoy!

Is this the solar eclipse cruise?

Yes, my husband and I will be on the Eclipse Cruise (our 2nd cruise).  We booked it right after coming home from our first cruise September 2022 to Alaska. My husband heard someone else talking about this one while we were on the ship. That was a destination cruise. This one is an event cruise and hopefully a little more relaxing. I’m looking forward to being on Discovery. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MEacret said:

Yes, my husband and I will be on the Eclipse Cruise (our 2nd cruise).  We booked it right after coming home from our first cruise September 2022 to Alaska. My husband heard someone else talking about this one while we were on the ship. That was a destination cruise. This one is an event cruise and hopefully a little more relaxing. I’m looking forward to being on Discovery. 

J-E-A-L-O-U-S. 

And very happy for you. No pressure to do a LIVE but I’ll be checking in for an update. Great choice!

• Like 1

Travel Day (continued):

Made it to Ontario with time to spare. Filled up gas at Sam’s Club. Now, some food for my sons. This is a “snack”. The cruise is the capstone for three weightlifting boys. The will cut when they get home. So, we will eat again when we get to Downey with @drwbrt  

IMG_0420.thumb.jpeg.46b7e1db81ccf4384450eabdbaef1936.jpeg

Location (right next to Ontario Intl Airport) is clean. The staff is friendly. We got a booth. Temperature is perfect inside. Not hot. Not cold. 

Ordered at 8:22 PM. They called our number at 8:31 PM. Fast and fresh. 

IMG_0423.thumb.jpeg.fbdb73b564f5e9329da2975f5ecf74b6.jpeg

In-N-Out isn’t everyone’s favorite. In our house, it hits. With the size of family I have, the price is right. The menu is small but I can feed my family here cheaper than I can at McDonalds. 

The bun was soft on the outside with a nice toast and crunch on the inside that stood up well to the secret sauce slathering. 

The lettuce was a crisp iceberg bite. The tomato was a welcome addition to the bite. It was fresh and had a nice flavor that brightened the flavor and cut through the fat with freshness. Grilled onions all the way around. It added a nice sweetness.

The burger is thin (usual for INO) but cooked tender, still juicy, not overdone.

Price was amazing — four people fed for less than $25. (We opted for water over soda. Preference plus cost savings.) Food was great quality and exceeded expectations at this price point. 

Who has two thumbs and isn’t mad he stopped at In-N-Out for a snack?

IMG_0425.thumb.jpeg.495a4dff14eb9368daefa468be8f204f.jpeg

• Like 6

Travel Day (continued):

Flight landed right on time. If you travel enough over the last five years, you don’t take an easy, seamless travel day for granted. 

Just waiting for @drwbrt to get his bag and text and we are a 5 minute roll from the Cell Phone Waiting Parking Lot. 

IMG_0426.thumb.jpeg.122a9be5b083ccce8d1f5b2d5914362a.jpeg

IMG_0427.thumb.jpeg.8af64a1867284bdd5c7c236c7f828bea.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MEacret said:

I have friends on that cruise. They asked me to go but I'm right in the zone and said I will take my chances with the weather. I can watch it from my backyard. 

• Like 1

Travel Day (the last of it):
Despite the late-night drive and check-in to our hotel, it’s time to start the party. We walk across the street (⚠️ jaywalk like us at your own risk ⚠️)  and show up at Buffalo Wild Wings at 11 PM. This
is ill-advised under most circumstances. But if you know what to expect and you’re ok with it — it works. 

IMG_0455.thumb.jpeg.fe5a7a700b74157e38928c9558e9665d.jpeg

What we expected:

- Slow service and long waits

- Busy and crowded

- Loud music

- Loud enough talking to overcome the aforementioned loud music. 

What we experienced:

- Slow…ish service — We were seated within 5 minutes from the time we approached the host podium. Not bad, considering we walked into a sea of humans. A sea. Not tranquil, placid waters. No, the sea was angry that day, my friends. A wave of humans that are talking, laughing, eating, and drinking. So yeah, busy and crowded. Just like we expected. 

We waited 25 minutes for the first eye contact and hello from a server. The 60 seconds preceding the first interaction with a server, we began to talk about leaving and pursuing an alternative. We weren’t mad or upset, but we had the sense the place wasn’t up to the challenge of the moment.
The server arrived. We were ready. Drinks and food ordered at the same time. Drinks showed up 5 minutes later and the food another 10 minutes after. The first contact was a little slower than expectations but the speed after ordering was impressive and absolutely 
exceeded expectations. 

IMG_0454.thumb.jpeg.1291920eb52f061fda79f80b6644f8b8.jpeg

Nothing was sacrificed in bringing the food out quickly. The wings (buffalo dry rub) were hot (temperature) and very crispy to the bite and the meat was still moist and tender. We got an ample amount of ranch without a need to ask for more. Dip, baby, dip. 

If I’m nitpicking - which is what a critique is — the wings would have benefited from more buffalo seasoning. Also, the carrots, served as a garnished side, were just the baby carrot variety that you buy at the grocery store. When I go out for wings, I want those squared off, cut wings. The ones I got tonight are the rounded, stubby ones you expect in your lunchbox in 5th grade that have no trade value in the lunchroom. 

We were there past midnight, so we had a first round of “Happy Birthday” for my son. 22 years old today. 

IMG_0431.thumb.jpeg.667d0efee77ebea4146ffeba7785d352.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nasa1974 said:

I have friends on that cruise. They asked me to go but I'm right in the zone and said I will take my chances with the weather. I can watch it from my backyard. 

If I was in the Zone I don’t know if I’d leave either. The itinerary wasn’t one we were dying to go on but we are making the best of it. 😊

• Like 1