Question on TA's Bookings/Self-Booked

Alikat33

New Cruiser here, (other than one river cruise) and had a local travel agent look into higher level rooms on a 2025 Silversea Silver Moon AK cruise. She said the higher level rooms were sold out.  Thinking this was odd, we called Silversea directly and were able to book the rooms we wanted for the dates we wanted!!  Her reason was because the agent she spoke with was 'not the most enthusiastic'.  She seemed to be pushing a sailing on Regent instead.  

What could be the reason behind this fiasco, other than a mistake on Silversea's part when the travel agent spoke with them?  I have used this particular travel agent before, with no complaints.  

Upon further discussion with my travel agent, is there any chance Silversea has their own travel agent department, and ‘sabotage’ the regular travel agents since a commission is up for grabs? Might not be the right word.  

Many cruise lines have their own reps who can become your ‘personal vacation planner’(Princess, Carnival) and although they may accrue credits for booking cruises, they do not earn a commission.  EM

8 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Many cruise lines have their own reps who can become your ‘personal vacation planner’(Princess, Carnival) and although they may accrue credits for booking cruises, they do not earn a commission.  EM

When I called the contact at Silversea, to transfer my booking to my travel agent, he asked if they’d wait a week so he could get his ‘cut’.  

1 hour ago, Alikat33 said:

She seemed to be pushing a sailing on Regent instead.  

What could be the reason behind this

As others have suggested, could it have been a commission issue, wth Regent paying her a higher commission than Silversea?

Edited by edinburgher

52 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Right. I have a 'buddy' with Oceania who I have booked with and then transferred to my TA. Before doing that I asked about commissions and he confirmed what you said.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

If the TA thought the commission from Silver Sea was not enough for her to bother with the booking, why even bother switching the booking to her?

Because the TA said she was given the wrong info by a SS rep and would be filing a complaint, and the Silversea guy told me verbally he got a commission.