After cruise: Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Pacific Northwest?

Hi everyone,

East coast gal here. Cruising HAL out of Vancouver June 8th and have several days on either side to see Vancouver and the West Coast (rental car).  What parts of the Great Pacific Northwest should I not miss? 

Thanks in advance!

Oof.  There is soooo much beauty to see in the PNW that it is hard to narrow it down.  First, I recommend scratching downtown Seattle off the list.  I work downtown and the stuff I see every day is both sad and infuriating.  

I think a good southern route would be taking the Chuckanut exit in Bellingham and driving down through the Chuckanut Scenic Byway.  Then head west, hit Anacortes, drive across Deception Pass, through Whidby, and then ferry over to Port Townsend.  From there, head west to Port Angeles and hit Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics.  Hit some of the parks along the way.

Or, head into the Cascades, check out Leavenworth and then make your way down to Mt Rainier and maybe even further down to Mt. St Helens.  

That's just a start.  Anything specific you are in to?

Hmmm - even a full week of extra time you could entertain yourselves in Vancouver without going anywhere else! But without knowing you, your other party members, the things you all enjoy most it's really hard to say what would be best for your group - there's no such thing as a Must See anywhere IMO, and while a week would give you enough time to probably do everything you might like in Vancouver, as soon as you start considering road trips then a week becomes incredibly short and it's absolutely necessary to focus on your priorities.

Given that you indicate it's split into pre- and post-cruise though OP, so you need to be in Vancouver at least twice right before and after, I'd be inclined to consider open jaw flights for efficiency if it's not too late to (re)book those... you may actually save both money and time by not flying across the border and opening up more non-stop flight options, even in summer there are not many nonstops YVR-MCO. If you flew in and out of different airports, you could easily avoid retracing your route within a fortnight.

If you're stuck with expensive-to-change flights both in and out of Vancouver, then consider spending some days either Pre or Post on Vancouver Island, with the other time sticking local to Van proper - if there's even just two of you, taking a rental car over on the ferry gives flexibility of timing and routes; head from Vancouver to Tsawwassen, RORO to Swartz Bay for a night in Victoria, then head further north to see Cathedral Grove, maybe even across to Tofino on the outside (great surfing and storm-watching) or Campbell River on the inside (excellent Orca watching, with trips into spectacularly narrow waters of the Inside Passage in daylight unlike most cruises) for a second night. Return on the Nanaimo-Horseshoe Bay ferry, and head up to Squamish, maybe Whistler before coming back to Vancouver and you'll add a lot of mountain viewing, which tends to be popular with Floridians in my experience given you guys live in the flattest state!

• Like 1

Could you tell us a little something about your plans?  How many are you, something about your age(s) and whether there are kids in the group?  Also do you have any particular interests, any mobility issues, and whether you’re on a tight budget or could afford middle-tier or more expensive pursuits?  Not trying to pry, just hoping to make better suggestions.

That said, some things to consider: 

- Your cruise to SE Alaska and back will expose you to lots of snowy mountains, rain forests, islands, Native American culture and maritime wildlife – marine mammals and birds, eagles, maybe a bear or two, things like that.  It’s all pretty terrific, but do you want more of it?  The lower BC mainland, Vancouver Island, and the whole area bordering the Salish Sea, the term that includes Puget Sound in Washington as well as all the islands and edges of the Strait of Georgia in Canadian waters.  The BC Gulf Islands and the US San Juan Islands are part of the same archipelago. 

- The Cascade range separates the marine side of the region from a drier inland area with landscapes that include “old west” red rock formations like those in the US Southwest, wide areas of high desert, but also stunning winelands, canyons and gorges carved by great rivers including the Columbia and Fraser, endless orchards of apples, pears, cherries and other produce, Native American or First People’s lands, on and on.  These landscapes – utterly different from those to the west of the mountains – are just a couple of hours’ drive from Vancouver, Seattle or Portland.

- In June, high elevation areas in the Cascades, like Mount Rainier, will still have snow on the ground, potentially quite deep, covering trails.  So far this has been a lighter-than-average year for snowfall, but it’s still deep enough that you’re probably not going to have great access to alpine areas.  By the way, the main road to the Mount St. Helens observation area is closed due to unstable soils and is unlikely to reopen until next year at the earliest. 

So back to your question – what to do with, say, an extra week to play with?  Here are some ideas to toss around.

- Stay put and enjoy greater Vancouver.  There are few places in North America that offer as much variety as Vancouver, with enough in-town and nearby attractions and activities to fill several days – weeks, really.  Visit the beautiful gardens in Queen Elizabeth Park or wander through glorious Stanley Park.  Visit the Granville Island market, maybe attend a performance at the Bard on the Beach Shakespeare festival, held in tents overlooking the city skyline.  Visit Grouse Mountain, the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge (a free alternative to the pricey and touristy Capilano bridge) or visit the incredible Richmond Night Market, a vast collection of Asian food stands, shops and attractions held near the Vancouver airport… on and on. 

Richmond Night Market (Vancouver, BC) (youtube.com)

- Vancouver plus an island or two.  You could spend a few days in the city, then catch a ferry from Tsawwassen to one of the Gulf islands like Salt Spring or Galiano.  These idyllic islands offer hidden coves, forest hikes, art galleries and farmers markets, whale watching… all sorts of activities in laid-back surroundings.  Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/Sc3zuQZBinTjhmqi8

- Victoria/Olympic National Park loop.  This would include a visit to Victoria on Vancouver Island, then a ferry across the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Olympic peninsula in Washington, a visit to several sites in Olympic National Park, and a return to Vancouver via beautiful Whidbey Island in Washington.  Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/Dugz6GuprXaU7D6m6

All of these, plus those including Seattle, would basically include seeing many of the same natural environments you’d have seen on the cruise, so if it was me – and of course it’s not – I’d choose a different part of the Northwest altogether. 

- Columbia River and Mount Hood region.  I’d fly from Vancouver to Portland (around $160 one way, cheaper than a rental car) and do a land tour something like that shown on this map.  Google the places - https://maps.app.goo.gl/wyL5MyUxDf4cS61Z9

These include the marvelous McMenamins Edgefield hotel/resort complex in Troutdale, just east of Portland’s airport – fabulous – then stopping at numerous waterfalls in the “waterfalls zone” along the Historic Columbia River Highway, one of the most iconic drives in the Pacific Northwest.  See (at a minimum) Latourell and Multnomah Falls, stopping en route at the breathtaking vista point at the Portland Women’s Forum (aka Chanticleer Point) viewing area for a panoramic view of the Columbia Gorge. 

Stay for a couple of nights (or longer) in Hood River, famous for its windsurfing, wineries and breweries.  Drive the Hood River “fruit loop” through orchards and vineyards, with Mount Hood looming above everything.  Drive to Timberline Lodge on the side of Mount Hood, and if you want, ride the “Magic Mile” chairlift up to the permanent ice fields on the side of the big stratovolcano.  (They’ll still be skiing; you don’t have to.)  Then visit gorgeous Trillium Lake, and if time permits, continue south a couple of hours to Smith Rock State Park, with its spectacular “old west” rock formations. 

Return north through sagebrush and dry pine forest to the Columbia at Maryhill.  Visit the weird copy of Stonehenge on the clifftops over the great river, then visit the eclectic Maryhill Museum of Art with its fascinating collections including many works by the French sculptor Auguste Rodin.  Maybe visit the nearby (highly rated) Maryhill Vineyards.  Then back to Hood River, or back to Portland, or if you have enough time, maybe add a two- or three-day loop out to the Pacific coast to see incredible Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach, or Cape Disappointment State Park, on the Washington side of the (awesome) mouth of the Columbia River.

An itinerary like this would expose you to an entirely different sort of Pacific Northwest experience than the one you’d get with a Vancouver- or Seattle-based tour, one that I can’t recommend more highly. 

I’ll stop for now.  Whatever you choose, you’re going to have a terrific time, and, like with Alaska, I daresay you’ll be planning a return trip before you’ve cleared security on the way home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I 100% agree with skipping Seattle. I was very let down by my trip there. Whistler is a beautiful drive, but I have never been there in the summer so not sure it would be the same experience. The ski village was awesome in the winter! Washington/OR/NoCal coast are all beautiful and worth the road trip. 

3 hours ago, nordicacres said:

I 100% agree with skipping Seattle. I was very let down by my trip there. Whistler is a beautiful drive, but I have never been there in the summer so not sure it would be the same experience. The ski village was awesome in the winter! Washington/OR/NoCal coast are all beautiful and worth the road trip. 

Agree with Whistler. Spent four days there in June last year instead of staying in Vancouver. We didn't have a car but there is a bus from both airport or downtown to get there and the town is very walkable.  Lots of hiking and bus system gets you to areas further out of town. 

Thank you so much everyone! I have such good ideas to start planning!

@Gardyloo Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas. We are 60 year old hubby and wife married 42 years. We like history, nature and parks. Not big on large cities and now thinking of skipping Seattle since several are saying what we also wondered about. You gave me some excellent ideas to research 🙂 

Edited by CherylFlorida
Thanks given

I know your question is regarding the PNW but have you considered heading east after your cruise?  You could take the Rocky Mountaineer (or drive), see the Canadian Rockies - Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper and fly home from Calgary.  You could also do it before the cruise and head west to Vancouver for your cruise and then do the PNW.  Really depends on the amount of time you have and your budget.  

But, if going east is out of the equation, I would highly recommend Victoria and the rest of Vancouver Island.  I also think Butchart Gardens is a must do, if you've never been before (not inexpensive, though).  Tofino/Ucluelet, too.   Whistler was lovely when I was there in early September a few years ago. 

Edited by Alberta Quilter