Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

47 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Having done fly cruises with Celebrity we know just how expensive that can get too. Having said that I do feel for fellow cruisers and their disappointment re the flights if they had anticipated something special.  If we had to fly economy no extra legroom room we would have had to cancel due to hubby's height and issues with his knee and back. We would have been gutted.

Have either of you flown long haul on any scheduled flights? TUI actually offer more space ECG than most of those airlines.  

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Have either of you flown long haul on any scheduled flights? TUI actually offer more space ECG than most of those airlines.  

No but we always book extra legroom seats for Cyprus at 5 hrs - we tried it once normal and it was way too squashed for him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

BA now seem to offer economy plus. Instead of just economy. Dummy booking just standard economy return flight coming up at £403.05. If I chose economy plus its coming up £684.05. The difference I can see economy allows only hand luggage compared to economy plus you can check in 1 hold bag and a free seat selection.

Yes I know they all hammer us on luggage then also frighten us about choosing seats in case we are split up etc

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Time to move with the times, my friend. I need a roundtrip LHR to Miami mid March.  BA and Virgin currently have a sale so these are reduced fares.

BA economy £645.61 premium £1366.61

Virgin economy £553.61 premium £964.61

I can push the BA one up by using better timed flights, the economy roughly the same but premium can rise to £2366.  Virgin, stopping premium I can get up to £1,300.

This is 14.3.2024 out 21.3.2024 back with 1 23kg bag no flexibility.

What's with the premium apart from luggage ?

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Smaller cabin, different desk to check in, extra legroom, wider seat (leather whoopee!), drinks, wider food choice, real knife and fork, first on first off.  Really just the same as everyone described for the charter. Seat bookable on booking for Virgin, not until 24 hours for BA. They both have luggage although there is a "classic" which is hand luggage only.  That has to be offered due to a Directive and is part of the reason there are 4 or 5 fare types in economy on some airlines.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Here's a link you might be interested in

"How much more do premium economy seats cost?

around 1.5-3 times

You might be wondering, how much more expensive is premium economy compared to the basic economy class? Well, it all depends on the airline and the route, but on average, you can expect to pay around 1.5-3 times more for premium economy.31 May 2023

https://jacksflightclub.com › the-airl...

However, it's really the same as your cabin choice, we don't all want it and what we choose to spend our cash on is down to us.  I'd never spend the huge figures you tell us a meal cost you even if it was the greatest chef/venue in the world.  I would however spend the cash on a flight or cabin.

Basically we value different thing I'm not going to say your way is worse than mine or mine is better because at the end of the day I respect your choice, wouldn't insult you by saying your way is wrong and would hope that you might offer that respect to me too.

• Like 3

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Here's a link you might be interested in

"How much more do premium economy seats cost?

around 1.5-3 times

You might be wondering, how much more expensive is premium economy compared to the basic economy class? Well, it all depends on the airline and the route, but on average, you can expect to pay around 1.5-3 times more for premium economy.31 May 2023

https://jacksflightclub.com › the-airl...

However, it's really the same as your cabin choice, we don't all want it and what we choose to spend our cash on is down to us.  I'd never spend the huge figures you tell us a meal cost you even if it was the greatest chef/venue in the world.  I would however spend the cash on a flight or cabin.

Basically we value different thing I'm not going to say your way is worse than mine or mine is better because at the end of the day I respect your choice, wouldn't insult you by saying your way is wrong and would hope that you might offer that respect to me too.

I do - im not disrespecting anyone who chooses to pay it

I'm disrespecting the prices that are being charged for it

It's exploiting a situation IMO

Same as they exploit us on Wi-Fi costs when we have no alternative 

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

I do - im not disrespecting anyone who chooses to pay it

I'm disrespecting the prices that are being charged for it

It's exploiting a situation IMO

Same as they exploit us on Wi-Fi costs when we have no alternative 

Got me both ways then!!  We have a choice don't pay it and don't go. Pay for the basics and expect no add on or pay to go better.  You choose one, I'll choose the other.  Banging on about it won't change anything.  Capitalism looks for ways to make money, that's market forces.

All the long posts on these boards debating it won't help anyone.  Eventually we just go round and round.  There are extras - you choose restaurants for example - we aren't forced to pay them you choose as do I.  

• Like 3

With TUI I don't feel I need PE as the dreamliners have a decent seat pitch as standard. However with Virgin and BA I think it's worth the upgrade. Last year we flew on "Little miss Sunshine" a VA airbus A330, never again with Virgin economy, I'm getting too old to go through that.

I'm tall with a dodgy back so value any extra room, I actually value that over the service side of things.

We fly with BA to Antigua next week for a land based holiday and have upgraded to PE. We've also booked a nice hotel for the night before, something we do more often nowadays. In my mind it's the holiday starting a day or two earlier and if I can make the flight experience more comfortable then I think its worth it. Happy to do short haul economy, no issues. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Really, if people didn't want to pay the prices asked then they would't, ever heard of supply and demand. Why are people up in arms when PE is not available. You really are beginning to sound like a broken record pushing your opinions and disputing other peoples.

It's all a question of choice, at a touch under 5' foot 9", I never found the cattle class cabin uncomfortable, so never considered paying extra for more legroom.

8 hours ago, doog442 said:

With TUI I don't feel I need PE as the dreamliners have a decent seat pitch as standard. However with Virgin and BA I think it's worth the upgrade. Last year we flew on "Little miss Sunshine" a VA airbus A330, never again with Virgin economy, I'm getting too old to go through that.

I'm tall with a dodgy back so value any extra room, I actually value that over the service side of things.

We fly with BA to Antigua next week for a land based holiday and have upgraded to PE. We've also booked a nice hotel for the night before, something we do more often nowadays. In my mind it's the holiday starting a day or two earlier and if I can make the flight experience more comfortable then I think its worth it. Happy to do short haul economy, no issues. 

Our flight to Antigua was with  BA.  Im 6ft 1 and 19 stone and we flew economy.  Never again!!!  The flight going there was fine as it was a 777 that had not yet had the refit so it was the 3 3 3 configuration.  Yet flying back was a refitted 777 with a 3 4 3 configuration and the seat was dreadfull.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Presto2 said:

No but we always book extra legroom seats for Cyprus at 5 hrs - we tried it once normal and it was way too squashed for him. 

I am on a Marella cruise from Palma in a couple of weeks from Manchester and we have booked leg room seats,,,,always do.

Its all about being comfortable,,,

• Like 2

Whilst fully accepting the legroom/comfort issue is the main reason for upgrading (I do it myself when flying with my husband), I'm intrigued as to what those who say no PE or legroom won't go would do if their aircraft was changed at the last minute.  I fly numerous times a year, both long and short haul.  Over the years I've turned up at the airport and it's not the plane I'd expected, sometimes a replacement aircraft of a different type with different seating layout and on others a substitute aircraft from some unknown charter company swapped in by the airline to prevent flight cancellation.

I just accept it as these things are not guaranteed.  Do others book just expecting things won't change or what?  If for instance on the day there's no PE that you paid for would you choose not to travel because you won't fly without that extra space or do you just go with the offering on the day and claim your money back and seek recompense for your not getting the flight you wanted?

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Whilst fully accepting the legroom/comfort issue is the main reason for upgrading (I do it myself when flying with my husband), I'm intrigued as to what those who say no PE or legroom won't go would do if their aircraft was changed at the last minute.  I fly numerous times a year, both long and short haul.  Over the years I've turned up at the airport and it's not the plane I'd expected, sometimes a replacement aircraft of a different type with different seating layout and on others a substitute aircraft from some unknown charter company swapped in by the airline to prevent flight cancellation.

I just accept it as these things are not guaranteed.  Do others book just expecting things won't change or what?  If for instance on the day there's no PE that you paid for would you choose not to travel because you won't fly without that extra space or do you just go with the offering on the day and claim your money back and seek recompense for your not getting the flight you wanted?

Can you actually claim refunds for a whole cruises when it's only a flight there that's impacted?

At that late stage?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Can you actually claim refunds for a whole cruises when it's only a flight there that's impacted?

At that late stage?

No you can't.  Last year a lot of flights which were meant to be TUI were actually flown by a company called Wamos.  This was because TUI aircraft became unavailable at short notice so to fulfil their obligations to P&O they subcontracted to Wamos at extremely short notice.  For instance the first flight from Gatwick on 16 December 2022 was swapped on the morning to Wamos, no entertainment, no PE and everyone automatically moved into a seat of Wamos/TUI choosing.  Lots of unhappy people.

By the time we arrived at Britannia - we were on the flight behind and delayed 3 hours because of a misaligned aircraft/crew - reception had a queue into the Atrium of people complaining.  These 63 in PE were told their money was being refunded to their original card, the rest were as far as I know told to deal with TUI as it wasn't the problem of P&O.

At both the airport and onboard I witnessed dreadful behaviour with airline and P&O staff being verbally abused.  However despite all this furore as far as I know no one didn't travel and presumably some of those were people who said I won't fly basic economy.

Aircraft changes are much more common than people realise. Our flights to and from Kefalonia this year I'd booked and paid for extra legroom seats both ways a year in advance. Two months from departure I received an email saying my seats were being reallocated as the aircraft type had changed - went to an A320 from a 737 - and unfortunately we no longer had legroom seats so the price differential was being refunded.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

BA now seem to offer economy plus. Instead of just economy. Dummy booking just standard economy return flight coming up at £403.05. If I chose economy plus its coming up £684.05. The difference I can see economy allows only hand luggage compared to economy plus you can check in 1 hold bag and a free seat selection.

Economy plus doesn't give you more legroom. Even Club Europe has the same legroom as economy.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Gosh, aren't you unlucky.  That has never happened to us.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Presumably there are still seats with extra legroom people can book (if they  are lucky) on the new planes P and O are having to use?

I assume so, there will be bulkheads and emergency exits.  Until they go in 14 weeks out to reserve their seats (£45pp each way so £180 for two) they won't know if they can get them.  I'm not sure if anyone has been able to reserve seats on these planes yet as the system apparently crashed on Thursday and back up at midnight last night.

Hopefully one of our correspondents will let us know how the seat reservations are going.  My friend hasn't been able to get in for her 30/12 flight until the early hours of today.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I urge everyone to read  CAA rules about downgrading

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/downgrading/

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Even people who like to use Premium Economy on here have commented it's very expensive for what you get??

Am I wrong?

It's certainly no longer economy in any sense of the word?

I believe the price is exorbitant. Same as Wi-Fi costs. But that's only my opinion. I accept. 

If the new planes still offer extra legroom seats it will be interesting to see the cost for those without the other extras

And I sympathise as I did in my original post with people who need Premium Economy seats for height and physical reasons and have to pay the extra

It's like me having to pay for Wi-Fi. Some need it on board and I think we are being exploited as well 

I never said it was expensive for what we got. I thought it was a reasonable cost but more importantly we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would do it again. It's up to me to decide what I spend my holiday money on - usually food related 😀 but when flying long haul I'd rather have more comfort.

I agree that wifi is ridicously over-priced so we rarely buy it, mainly use free wifi in port and we are with Lebara so can use our allowance in the EU. Next year we are trying Oceania and wifi is included. 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes, does beg the question that if on the day of the flight, the aircraft is unserviceable and they change it to a different type, what would these people do then.  The a/c might not have PE

Hi Jean,

As a person who flew crew how often on average would you guess this happens? I've had it happen quite a few times over the years, most notably with BA but with TUI creeping up there since the pandemic.  Several have commented I must be very unlucky so I'm intrigued if I am! 

I normally fly scheduled, would that make my experience more common for instance? I've had changes of everything from internal Air Canada propellor aircraft swapped to ones that you can't take hand luggage on to BA A380's and just assume it's fairly normal if an aircraft needs maintenance.