Cabin steward tipping

tmal2

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

After reading through this whole thread imo I think people are tip crazy these days. I thought a tip was for service well done (notice, well done, not prepaid).

According to this thread if I go to a restaurant and get crappy service, the waitress is slow, doesn't get the orders right etc, we should tip her before we even order so she will give us good service. 🤦‍♀️

Good point.

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

According to this thread if I go to a restaurant and get crappy service, the waitress is slow, doesn't get the orders right etc, we should tip her before we even order so she will give us good service. 🤦‍♀️

Terrible analogy!

• Like 1

1st off, you won't know what type of service you'll get if you tip 1st.  once again, imho, a tip, is an acknowledgement for service performed. operative words here, SERVICE PERFORMED,

granny, if you arent going to tip your waiter or waitress, stay home.  if you feel the service offered was sub par, tell the manager. offering a tip upfront, is a request for a certain type of service or expectation that the person taking the money will perform for you. we go to the theater regularly  that has it's own parking. i give the valet an extra $10 to keep the car close so we can exit in a hurry after the play and avoid the crowd and confusion. i feel no shame doing so.

i also feel no shame giving the maitre'd an extra $20+ to take care of us during the cruise.

again, no shame whatsoever. Try it, it works.

if not, dont complain, 

if youre discussing tipping extra on a cruise, ok, youve paid into the DSC, and extra tipping is neither expected nor required. on the other hand, regardless of the restaurant, try giving your server and extra $5 or so, and see how much more attention you'll get from them

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

why? 

The thread is called "Cabin Steward Tipping".

So, as I've described doing myself, some will give $$$ to the cabin steward on the first day.

I've called this a "bribe" many times on these forums. It's because I'm handing the steward $20 before he/she does anything for me. 

I am doing this to build a quicker relationship with my steward and to have my list of common requests attended to in short order. This is the beginning of a 7 to 10 day relationship with one person that's cleaning up after me and fulfilling any requests I may have for the duration.

You were comparing this to 1 hour in a restaurant where there are many variables and you're likely to never see that server ever again, so tipping/bribing before you order is not nearly the same thing.

As I said, for me, it's a terrible analogy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Well . . . not quite the same thing since you are not attempting to establish a 15 day long relationship with a random waitress in a random restaurant.  (Then again, maybe you are, which is your own business, lol.)  Kidding aside though, many people do "overtip" a favorite server in a restaurant they visit frequently more than they would tip in a "one and done" situation. That said, we only "pre-tip" (bribe?) the bartenders on a longer cruise in advance.

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Haha 1

I tip because I like being generous to other human beings.

I understand the situation of most cabin stewards and other crew. If they haven't become jaded and mean from their situation, that's often enough to earn my respect and some additional assistance in their journey, because I have enough money to do so, and because making other people happier makes my vacation better. There's no debate on that last part, it's proven out from decades of experience.

There are plenty of justifications for not tipping, but most boil down to being more fond of money than people.

Edited by TheMichael
Deleted one extraneous word
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

I tip because I like being generous to other human beings.

I understand the situation of most cabin stewards and other crew. If they haven't become jaded and mean from their situation, that's often enough to earn my respect and some additional assistance in their journey, because I have enough money to do so, and because making other people happier makes my vacation better. There's no debate on that last part, it's proven out from decades of experience.

There are plenty of justifications for not tipping, but most boil down to being more fond of money than people.

According to this statement, no one is fond of me. 

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

1st off, you won't know what type of service you'll get if you tip 1st.  once again, imho, a tip, is an acknowledgement for service performed. operative words here, SERVICE PERFORMED,

granny, if you arent going to tip your waiter or waitress, stay home.  if you feel the service offered was sub par, tell the manager. offering a tip upfront, is a request for a certain type of service or expectation that the person taking the money will perform for you. we go to the theater regularly  that has it's own parking. i give the valet an extra $10 to keep the car close so we can exit in a hurry after the play and avoid the crowd and confusion. i feel no shame doing so.

i also feel no shame giving the maitre'd an extra $20+ to take care of us during the cruise.

again, no shame whatsoever. Try it, it works.

if not, dont complain, 

if youre discussing tipping extra on a cruise, ok, youve paid into the DSC, and extra tipping is neither expected nor required. on the other hand, regardless of the restaurant, try giving your server and extra $5 or so, and see how much more attention you'll get from them

If you are referring to me when you say granny. I am not the one that posted that I just said good point. We tip everyone including the people that sweep the floors in the main areas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Well . . . not quite the same thing since you are not attempting to establish a 15 day long relationship with a random waitress in a random restaurant.  (Then again, maybe you are, which is your own business, lol.)  Kidding aside though, many people do "overtip" a favorite server in a restaurant they visit frequently more than they would tip in a "one and done" situation. That said, we only "pre-tip" (bribe?) the bartenders on a longer cruise in advance.

Last month on the Epic we noticed that every time a bartender or waiter/waitress in a bar was tipped, they would take the money and put it in a cabinet door in the bar. We did see inside the door several times and there was all the tips, combined. When I asked the bartender if they keep their tips themselves I was told that all tips they get go into a pool and that is why they throw then in there. I was never treated any different than anyone else even though I did not pay up front for my "tip".

I do not tip in advance but I do tip. I just don't agree that I should have to pay on top of the tips that we are already paying unless it is exceptional and now even would not do that considering that person has to pool the tip.

I still say my analogy is as logical as those that try to pay more for a better service in the beginning or on the first day.

Anyway, when it comes to a tipping thread there is never a winner. Those that love to pay "more" in advance for a better service then go ahead, it is your money. But I do not agree with people saying that everyone should tip more. Seen that so many times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

But I do not agree with people saying that everyone should tip more. Seen that so many times.

I'm sorry, but I've gotta ask because I didn't see this anywhere and you've seen it so many times.

Where are the posts stating that everyone should tip more?

4 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm sorry, but I've gotta ask because I didn't see this anywhere and you've seen it so many times.

Where are the posts stating that everyone should tip more?

Do a search. I did not say on this thread, I said I have seen it many times and being on this sight for so many years, I have.

• Haha 1

You "bribe" in advance, you get better service. You "tip" regularly after you get your drink, you get better service next time. You do neither, you wait 10-minutes for a drink at peak times with the rest. Seen it happen 100's of times. Whatever works for y'all.

kirtihk.

to whichever post you're referring to, dont take it personally. probably no one on cc knows you, no one on cc will probably ever meet or come in contact with you. so dont worry about it. 

LOL!!!

i am neither fond nor not fond of you. frankly  scarlet, i could give a .....

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2024 at 9:04 PM, PartyPlannerLady said:

No tip should be 'expected' by anyone.  Ther is no suggested, normal, customary, or usual amunt to tip.  Each person should simply tip whatevr they wanto to at any time and realize that what otehrs do is completely irrelevant.

So when you dine out, your waiter isn't expecting something along the lines of a 20% tip?

Edited by phillygwm

17 hours ago, complawyer said:

it absolutely amazes me that this post keeps on going.

people, tip if you want to in the amount you want to. in the alternative, if you believe the DSC is sufficient, DON'T tip !

Tipping is always going to be "controversial," as will its causes (Virgin pays their staff and doesn't expect tipping, but they're known as the "expensive" cruise line). So it will never end.

It will also continue to be a great insight into people's attitudes toward others.

17 hours ago, phillygwm said:

So when you dine out, your waiter isn't expecting something along the lines of a 20% tip?

Hahahaha have you ever worked as a server? My husband did just a couple years ago. He, and his co-workers, expected nothing from any table. It was a crapshoot whether he'd get $0.20, $20, or 20%. So yea, I cannot possibly imagine servers expecting anything other than nothing. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hahahaha have you ever worked as a server? My husband did just a couple years ago. He, and his co-workers, expected nothing from any table. It was a crapshoot whether he'd get $0.20, $20, or 20%. So yea, I cannot possibly imagine servers expecting anything other than nothing. 

Every server I've known expects a tip.  If they didn't, there's no way they could survive in a job that pays a couple bucks/hour.  Now, to your point, are they shocked when they don't get one or when it's less than expected?  No, most are too jaded at that point.

Edited by phillygwm

Posted (edited)

Tipping is an entirely a personal decision. As a former service provider while putting myself thru undergrad & grad school, I know how much tips made a difference in my life. 

Please purchase only what you can afford & know that even a nominal tip amount means a lot to those folks who choose to live their lives onboard a ship, separated from their families to support said families. 

For those who are unable to afford both their cruise & all the expected gratuities, they are still entitled to wonderful life experiences. Please make the staff feel valued by either verbally acknowledging them or filling out what is known on NCL as a "hero card". Kind words go a long way, but tip if you can...even if it feels minuscule compared to what the more fortunate can afford to give.  

Edited by idocdlw