What is casual dining?

mncbabu_yahoo

23 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I suspect (I have no evidence for this) that Princess has done some research and found that very few people eat in Alfredo's, and the other casual dining venues, much more than twice per cruise and so tailored the offering to what most people would do.

Of course there will be people that eat in them day and night for every day of the cruise but they will be very much the exception.

I have no issue with the casual dining offerings tbh. I will likely eat in Alfredo's once and the sushi bar once or twice and more than happy to pay for the second.

Exactly!  Each once, maybe twice.  Works for us.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I don't know for certain... but even if you have a package and some included meals... can't you still order a-la-carte if you didn't want to use one of your included meals?

Yes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cinerama said:

Click on the link below to see the 10 casual dinning restaurants that are included with the package. Not all restaurants listed below are on each ship.

Alfredo’s menu
Alfredo’s reduced menu
GiGi’s menu
Kai Sushi’s menu
Ocean Terrace menu
O’Malley’s menu
Planks menu
Salty Dog Gastropub menu
Steamers menu
Vines

https://profcruise.com/new-princess-casual-dining-menus/

The menus from this website still have the old a la carte prices for Alfredo's/Gigi's and are inaccurate.  We collated the menus and venues by ship in a table in a thread - link here

Edited by dides
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I don't know for certain... but even if you have a package and some included meals... can't you still order a-la-carte if you didn't want to use one of your included meals?

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know, either.

Of course a guest could pay every time they visit the place and never claim their free visit.  Wouldn't be a great thing to do, but certainly wouldn't be a problem as far as I can understand it.

If you know only visiting twice and never going to eat all the food, just order what you want and use the credit.  No one on Princess is going to force you to eat three courses.

Wow..lot of discussion on food options, pricing and preferences..This is my summary of understanding. 

1.There are 4 or 5 MDR for dinner; formal settings; Menus are same in all. Reservation required; may walk in as well. It is included in basic fare. No alcohol in basic.

2. The plus package allows to dine in for two nights in "casual" restaurants, with some alcohol. More than two nights requires cover charge..

3.The premium package allows to dine in for 2 nights in " specialty " restaurants. More than two nights require cover charges or additional money. It is upscale restaurant.

4. There is always "buffet" option for dinner as well. No reservations required;included in basic fare..

Correct me if my understanding is not that correct..

Thanks 

Edited by mncbabu_yahoo

Hi @mncbabu_yahoo, I sailed on the Sapphire last Dec, 2023 and will be back for the March 18, Santiago to LA sailing.

I had the premier package. Your casual dining options on Sapphire are Alfredo’s, it is a smaller version, so the menu is not as extensive as Royal Class ships with an Alfredo’s/Gigi’s. The Sapphire does have all of the Pizza selections.

Your other option will be a modified Ocean Terrace, they will only have the ‘set’ menu and no substitutions, as I believe the sushi is made in the Deck5 galley, opposed to being made to order on most Royal class ships. Ocean Terrace will only be available on sea days and at lunch on the Sapphire.

@startedwithamouse, in December, there was no ‘pop up’ SaltyDogGastroPub on the Sapphire.

I will be back on Sapphire March 18, so will report back.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It's just another thing taken away from everyone to make it more appealing to buy their package. We can live without their casual meals very nicely. 

I totally agree with you.

Tony

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

Hi @mncbabu_yahoo, I sailed on the Sapphire last Dec, 2023 and will be back for the March 18, Santiago to LA sailing.

I had the premier package. Your casual dining options on Sapphire are Alfredo’s, it is a smaller version, so the menu is not as extensive as Royal Class ships with an Alfredo’s/Gigi’s. The Sapphire does have all of the Pizza selections.

Your other option will be a modified Ocean Terrace, they will only have the ‘set’ menu and no substitutions, as I believe the sushi is made in the Deck5 galley, opposed to being made to order on most Royal class ships. Ocean Terrace will only be available on sea days and at lunch on the Sapphire.

@startedwithamouse, in December, there was no ‘pop up’ SaltyDogGastroPub on the Sapphire.

I will be back on Sapphire March 18, so will report back.

I saw it listed as a popup on the PDF from Princess, so thought it was there. Maybe in the past?

Good to hear there's a second choice with an Ocean Terrace pop up.

Edited by startedwithamouse

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 hours ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

Wow..lot of discussion on food options, pricing and preferences..This is my summary of understanding. 

1.There are 4 or 5 MDR for dinner; formal settings; Menus are same in all. Reservation required; may walk in as well. It is included in basic fare. No alcohol in basic.

2. The plus package allows to dine in for two nights in "casual" restaurants, with some alcohol. More than two nights requires cover charge..

3.The premium package allows to dine in for 2 nights in " specialty " restaurants. More than two nights require cover charges or additional money. It is upscale restaurant.

4. There is always "buffet" option for dinner as well. No reservations required;included in basic fare..

Correct me if my understanding is not that correct..

Thanks 

On some ships there are only 3 MDRs...  but essentially your description is good 🙂 

Premier allows unlimited casual dining.

I was just on the Sapphire, which only has the one venue, and was surprised how empty it always was. Most of the ship probably had Plus but I was regularly nearby and never saw more than two tables occupied even at regular meal times. Our travel companions had Plus and one only used one of their free meals and the other never got around to it at all.