After 25 Oceania cruises we will not come back..

urlaub

21 hours ago, shepherd really said:

AirTags are the solution.  If you can inform the luggage handlers where your bag is and show them a picture of the actual bag(taken before you check it in), they'll find it.  

Thank you for the reminder to check my AirTag batteries before my upcoming cruises.

14 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I completely agree.  We won't travel anywhere now without our AirTags.  It's a wonderful feeling settling into your seat on a long-haul flight knowing your bags are flying with you.

I hope to have that wonderful feeling when flying out for a couple of cruises coming up.  It would be a a terrible feeling to see that my bags are still at the airport when we are heading to Miami next month or overseas in May (starting in Germany) and worrying about where I was going to purchase ample clothes and toiletries for my trip. 😯

OP - I am so sorry for the trouble you have encountered with your suitcase.  I would also be livid!!!  Hopefully your travel insurance will cover your baggage cost. 😉

• Like 5

It is interesting to read so polar experiences about the same ship. There was a topic recently about Marina sailing where two different people described it as a great experience overall, and the ship being in good shape despite its age. And here we see another guest describing it as "not in a good shape".. I guess if you look hard enough, you can always find faults with anything.

But I agree that A/C not working is really bad. Maybe the ship was full and they could not relocate you? 

And for the record, it was not Oceania who lost the luggage. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

It is interesting to read so polar experiences about the same ship. There was a topic recently about Marina sailing where two different people described it as a great experience overall, and the ship being in good shape despite its age. And here we see another guest describing it as "not in a good shape".. I guess if you look hard enough, you can always find faults with anything.

But I agree that A/C not working is really bad. Maybe the ship was full and they could not relocate you? 

Does this sometimes just come down to ‘expectations’???

Sometimes people pay ‘much more’ money and ‘expect’  ‘the world’ when in fact they are only getting a slightly ‘more’ upgrade experience. 

Expectations are very difficult fulfill for each individual. My ‘cup of tea’ may not be yours !

• Like 5

4 hours ago, urlaub said:

It was NOT an airline it was OCEANIA

Methinks if it were still aboard, Oceania would know where your luggage was.

Since your luggage undoubtedly made it down the gangway by now, Oceania no longer has any control over it.  It was first in the control of the port and then, *maybe*, the Port Agent company Oceania hired.  That's the way ports work.

My bet would be on the port and it's longshoreman's operation.  And ports everywhere are a local monopoly that simply doesn't care about missing luggage.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I'm on Marina right now, going from 90 degree heat, down to 31 degrees cold and back up to 90 degrees in a few days, all in temperature controlled comfort.  I also have good vision and can see what the ship looks like, so these observations and claims all come down to, for me;

Who am I going to believe, them or my lying eyes?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Nice that you are comfy in room controlled air.  Our cabin was 9155 and I can assure you that we did not have any air for 39 days of our cruise.  After numerous attempts to fix this, we were given a fan after we said we would sleep in the concierge lounge.  Not every one was as lucky as you.  If you like, I can send you a picture of the fan. just let me know your email. This is not a small complaint, but a valid one after you pay twenty something thousand dollars for a room that should have everything functioning properly.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Does this sometimes just come down to ‘expectations’???

Sometimes people pay ‘much more’ money and ‘expect’  ‘the world’ when in fact they are only getting a slightly ‘more’ upgrade experience. 

Expectations are very difficult fulfill for each individual. My ‘cup of tea’ may not be yours !

In fairness to the OP after 25 cruises with Oceania I'm sure they knew what to expect. 

My guess would be that after being treated unfairly in their opinion they looked for everything they could complain about on the trip. 

• Like 3

On 2/27/2024 at 10:45 AM, urlaub said:

It was NOT an airline it was OCEANIA

sure my response was to the individual who commented about  airlines taking responsibilty about lost luggage. The do until they don't.

As far as cruise lines most lost luggage is due to another passenger grabbing it by mistake. When that happens the person that picked it up by mistake some times take responsibility and try and get it returned to the terminal or try to contact the owner, depending upon when they realize that they grabbed the wrong bag. 

That situation shows up when all of the bags are gone and one that looks like the missing bag remains.

Sometimes they just abandon it wherever they realize that it is not their bag

We had a very similar situation occur in Athens when we disembarked.  Another passenger took our suitcase (theirs was similar but we had completely different 'ties' on the handle - ours was bright yellow, her tie was bright red). An Oceania rep did the same thing as the OP's - took our report and a photo of our bag (we had 2 identical bags so they photographed the one we did retrieve) and a photo of the incorrect bag.  Gave us zero contact info for follow up-they didn't even provide the port agent contact info. I took a photo of the luggage tag on the other passenger's bag and took a chance and texted her.  Fortunately she too was on a 2-day extension in Athens as we were and Oceania contacted her to deliver her bag to her and I was able to meet her to retrieve my bag while still in Athens.  I never heard a word from Oceania about our missing bag.  Not a peep.  I made repeated phone calls to their customer service lines and was basically told they couldn't help us.  Sent emails to every executive in Oceania I could find and got the same response from their Corporate people: we can't help you because "you are no longer a passenger after you disembark"

They are right - after that experience, it will take a very special itinerary for me to be an Oceania passenger again.  The on-board experience was fine.  Off-ship their customer service and support before and after the cruise was very poor.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I'm on Marina right now, going from 90 degree heat, down to 31 degrees cold and back up to 90 degrees in a few days, all in temperature controlled comfort.  I also have good vision and can see what the ship looks like, so these observations and claims all come down to, for me;

Who am I going to believe, them or my lying eyes?

Why do you feel the need to set up an us vs. them situation?  It can be both.  We experienced that this summer on the Nautica.  Our assigned cabin was unbearably hot and Oceania was nice enough to move us to another cabin.  The second one had working air conditioning and the temperatures were just fine.  Same ship same sailing.  If I had been forced to stay in the first cabin I would have rightfully complained that the cabin was unbearable.  If I had started out in the second cabin I would have said that I had no complaints.  Why can’t both be right?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, stevesol6718 said:

Gee move to another cabin!  Why didn't we think of that?  We asked for another cabin several times and we were told none were available. Lucky you!!

Do you have any evidence that they did have available cabins and just enjoyed keeping you warm?

13 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Seriously???

I think it's a legitimate question. I know I would be very frustrated too if this happened to me, but maybe the ship was indeed full? If this was the case, how would you suggest they could resolve the issue?

4 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

Why do you feel the need to set up an us vs. them situation?  It can be both.  We experienced that this summer on the Nautica.  Our assigned cabin was unbearably hot and Oceania was nice enough to move us to another cabin.  The second one had working air conditioning and the temperatures were just fine.  Same ship same sailing.  If I had been forced to stay in the first cabin I would have rightfully complained that the cabin was unbearable.  If I had started out in the second "cabin I would have said that I had no complaints.  Why can’t both be right?

I was addressing this:

"The ship itself was not in a good shape. Rust and broken things on deck. Lamplights in GDR didn't work properly."

Because facts are stubborn things.  I can actually see the conditions in the public areas.  These areas look just fine.  So no, I'm not going to believe someone I don't know making a claim I can actually observe in real time that is false.    

That would be ridiculous. 

It also brings into question the other claims made.

• Like 5

One problem that can occur on cruise ship AC is if people are leaving their balcony doors open 

The AC and Heat on most ships gas ducts from large air handlers that feed several rooms  The thermostats in the room connect to duct control that control the amount of air gets fed into a room. The rooms are slightly pressure positive with air flowing to the hallway and out. If someone leaves their balcony door open more air flows to that room and less to the others on that same duct line can experience cooling issues.

Leave a couple of doors open on a given duct line and other rooms get warm, people then turn the AC down  when the doors get closed then the room becomes very cool since normal air flow is restored.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 7:10 AM, urlaub said:

Last winter we were on Marina for nearly two months Amazon River and Antartica.

Hmmm...  "Amazon River", and especially "Antarctica"?

Might replacement A/C parts have been a tad difficult to source?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I think it's a legitimate question. I know I would be very frustrated too if this happened to me, but maybe the ship was indeed full? If this was the case, how would you suggest they could resolve the issue?

I questioned the tone of your previous response. To me, it was quite argumentative. OTOH, your response I quote here asks the same question in a less confrontational, combative manner.

No complaints from me for this composition.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I questioned the tone of your previous response.

This is not meant to come across as argumentative, but how does one infer the tone of a written comment on social media?  Is it not often the reader's personal inferrence, which may or may not represent the writer's intent.   I do see tone sometimes suggested by the addition of an obviously unnecessary dig to a legitimate comment or question, but I wonder how much unimplied tone we as readers read into a written comment which is absent of the nuances of spoken conversation. Some folks are just more blunt or are awkward communicators, without meaning to be argumentative, and leave their comments open to the readers interpretation of their intent.  Just asking as a generic question about communication via social media...perhaps awkwardly 🙂.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

This is not meant to come across as argumentative, but how does one infer the tone of a written comment on social media?  Is it not often the reader's personal inferrence, which may or may not represent the writer's intent.   I do see tone sometimes suggested by the addition of an obviously unnecessary dig to a legitimate comment or question, but I wonder how much unimplied tone we as readers read into a written comment which is absent of the nuances of spoken conversation. Some folks are just more blunt or are awkward communicators, without meaning to be argumentative, and leave their comments open to the readers interpretation of their intent.  Just asking as a generic question about communication via social media...perhaps awkwardly 🙂.

Read the first post by ak1004 and the second post. You will answer your own question.

5 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I was addressing this:

"The ship itself was not in a good shape. Rust and broken things on deck. Lamplights in GDR didn't work properly."

Because facts are stubborn things.  I can actually see the conditions in the public areas.  These areas look just fine.  So no, I'm not going to believe someone I don't know making a claim I can actually observe in real time that is false.    

That would be ridiculous. 

It also brings into question the other claims made.

Can you tell me the all-over condition of Marina? We are thinking of a last minute booking on the April transatlantic to Barcelona. I know the refurbishment is happening in May and wonder if they are letting things go until then. The first few days of that cruise are in warm weather and would be very upset if the a/c didn’t work. 

2 hours ago, Riverroad said:

Can you tell me the all-over condition of Marina? We are thinking of a last minute booking on the April transatlantic to Barcelona. I know the refurbishment is happening in May and wonder if they are letting things go until then. The first few days of that cruise are in warm weather and would be very upset if the a/c didn’t work. 

They are maintaining the ship beautifully. The crew are constantly and diligently keep the ship in good order

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my final post on this topic and never ending answers.  How did we know they had extra cabins?  After complaining every day for 36 days of a 39 day cruise and being told that the ship was full and here is a fan to compensate for the air conditioner not working properly, on day 37 they found a cabin and offered to move us for the remaining three days. A miracle? No! So please stop defending the ship and feel a little compassion for a fellow passenger.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

On 2/27/2024 at 4:36 PM, stevesol6718 said:

Nice that you are comfy in room controlled air.  Our cabin was 9155 and I can assure you that we did not have any air for 39 days of our cruise.  After numerous attempts to fix this, we were given a fan after we said we would sleep in the concierge lounge.  Not every one was as lucky as you.  If you like, I can send you a picture of the fan. just let me know your email. This is not a small complaint, but a valid one after you pay twenty something thousand dollars for a room that should have everything functioning properly.

Something was nagging at me when I read this I and finally figured out what it was. 
There is no cabin 9155 on Marina. How do I know? Because I just walked down the hallway and looked. 

Now tell us again how awful this cabin that does not exist was. 

• Like 2