After 25 Oceania cruises we will not come back..

urlaub

Last winter we were on Marina for nearly two months Amazon River and Antartica. We had a balcony stateroom and were very disappointed. Specially the air condition didn't work the whole time. First on the Amazon and in Brazil we had 28 degrees Celsius in the night and in the southern part of the Journey in Antartica and Patagonia we were freezing. They were not able to repair and solve the problem. The ship itself was not in a good shape. Rust and broken things on deck. Lamplights in GDR didn't work properly. And we had many time shortenings in ports. We thought that we will not come again on an Oceania ship but after so many cruises with them we gave them a chance and didn't cancel our TA on the new Vista in September.

Our Conçierge Balcony was very nice. Everything was fine. The ship itself was not my taste. I do not like the colours. Mostly dark blue, grey, black and some white. It makes a cold feeling for me. We missed some ports because of the hurricane which came up to New England.

We disembarked in New York and we had no plans to stay in New Your and were booked on a flight the same day.

We are flying in business class so my husband and I had three suitcases together. When we put our luggage in front of the door we saw the room attendants picking up the suitcases. We talked with them and saw that they took all with.

When we came into the NY Manhattan Terminal it was a huge confusion because there was a disembarkation from a big NCL ship in the same place. We were looking after our suitcases but could only find two of them. We were asking people ( we thought from Oceania) to assist us. They refused. I would like to find our missing suitcase in the NCL area but was not allowed to. After a while the Oceania area was nearly empty and we needed to reach our flight the person from Oceania said that the suitcase is not found and so we need to leave the terminal. I took a picture from this person and I filled a paper for missing luggage.

When we arrived home friends of us who stood on the next cruise gave us the information that our suitcase was found now and they could bring it for us to Germany. Oceania didn't accept this. After many telephone calls and Mails I found one person in England who was willing to assist us. Neither anybody onboard nor guest relation and Oceania Club in US was willing to help us. The lady from England got the following information: The suitcase  was found  in NY Terminal. The port agent would not send it to us. The person in the terminal was not from Oceania. They had nobody in the terminal area. They let the suitcase in NY and during the following cruise Vista should come cack to NY and then they will take it to Miami. From Miami they promised to send it home to us. 

They did it and then we had to pay 450 USD for the suitcase transportation. After we payed this the suitcase arrived here more than one month after the end of our cruise.

I asked for the refund of this money because it was not our fault. Only our lawyer could bring it to an end now. The money is still not here. 

I ask myself what kind of company Oceania is nowadays. They loose a luggage, they do not arrange that the luggage comes to the customer soon.

And they let the customer pay for their fault.

We never got an excuse, never a friendly sorry!

They do not appreciate their longtime guests.

So after 25 Cruises with Oceania we will not come back. It is a nice cruise line if you do not have any problems.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Deja vu!  We were on the Marina in a concierge room on a cruise from Miami to Buenos Aires Dec 23 to Jan 24. Our air conditioner did not work either.  After many attempts to fix this, they gave us a fan.  Never fixed this issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

urlaub…so sorry to hear about your experience. 

Unfortunately your experience was not entirely Oceania’s fault. Handling of both passengers and baggage is down to the port authority. But Oceania could probably have been more understanding and helpful.

We had an issue disembarking in Valletta, Malta and I wrote to Oceania. I got the impression that because the ships turn around so quickly once you disembark you are no longer a ‘passenger’ so they leave you on the dockside and just move on to the new passengers about to board and they are priority. I’m sure this is true of all cruise lines. In all fairness that’s probably the correct thing to do. I’m sure we would all hate to turn up to a new cruise and find we can’t board etc. because of problems from the previous cruise!

Anyway if this incident, and the Marina, are the  only things putting you off Oceania try another ship maybe?

• Like 1

I hate to be this poster, BUT, have you filed with your insurance for a refund. I'm pretty sure most travel insurance has a luggage component. 

• Like 10

IMO, the biggest downside for most of us , with this unfortunate occurrence, is the aftermath. Disembarkment on Oceania is a Charlie Foxtrot on a good day. Far too many people that shouldn’t be attempting to disembark with their luggage in tow, do. They read about these few unfortunate incidents and refuse to utilize the regular luggage services. I don’t have a solution because none of us can manage the dock workers, but being diligent on O’s part in responding to issues such as this could go a long way.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

IMO, the biggest downside for most of us , with this unfortunate occurrence, is the aftermath. Disembarkment on Oceania is a Charlie Foxtrot on a good day. Far too many people that shouldn’t be attempting to disembark with their luggage in tow, do. They read about these few unfortunate incidents and refuse to utilize the regular luggage services. I don’t have a solution because none of us can manage the dock workers, but being diligent on O’s part in responding to issues such as this could go a long way.

AirTags are the solution.  If you can inform the luggage handlers where your bag is and show them a picture of the actual bag(taken before you check it in), they'll find it.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

AirTags are the solution.  If you can inform the luggage handlers where your bag is and show them a picture of the actual bag(taken before you check it in), they'll find it.  

Being the dinosaur that I am, I still have an android phone and according to what I just recently read air tags are only for iPhones.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Being the dinosaur that I am, I still have an android phone and according to what I just recently read air tags are only for iPhones.

Incorrect, they will work with Android, but there are Android specific variations available from other manufacturers.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Incorrect, they will work with Android, but there are Android specific variations available from other manufacturers.

I guess I didn't look enough. Thanks.

It is not only the lost of the suitcase but the way Oceania will not keep care for their longtime guests. They do not appreciate guests with 25 cruises.

And the other side is that the quality of Oceania went down.

We know also other cruiselines

( we cruised nearly 50 times) and so there is no reason for us to come back .

I only wanted to tell that you cannot count on Oceania if something goes wrong.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, urlaub said:

It is not only the lost of the suitcase but the way Oceania will not keep care for their longtime guests. They do not appreciate guests with 25 cruises.

Urlaub, doesn’t seem that you are getting much sympathy on this one. I, for one, would be as furious as you for the inexcusable treatment. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, kahuna21 said:

Urlaub, doesn’t seem that you are getting much sympathy on this one. I, for one, would be as furious as you for the inexcusable treatment. 

One hallmark of cheerleaders is they keep cheering for their team, no matter how they play.  We have never had a problem disembarking at NYC ports (done it many times on mulitple cruise lines).  And I guess the fault of the rust and A/C is also the fault of the OP (and certainly not O).  No A/C in the tropics.  If there were no other cabins we would have requested to be disembarked at the next port and flown home at O's expense.  

Hank

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

It's not only Oceania that has problems fixing things.  We were on HAL, and they could not stop the leak that kept the carpet sopping wet the entire cruise.  They told each day it was fixed but when my husband got up in the morning, wet feet again.  All cruise lines are having problems and unfortunately  if we want to travel we have to accept the bumps and roll with them.  We still laugh about the wet carpet and as the ship was almost full, they were willing to give us an inside cabin instead of the suite that we had paid for.  We put up with the wet carpet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, urlaub said:

If you would, which lines are you travelling on now? Appreciate your perspective! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, urlaub said:

When an airline loses your bag, they take responsibility for its return. The baggage handlers in NYC airports work for the Port Authority but the individual airlines still assume responsibility for returning your luggage. They do NOT charge shipping and handling. Oceania’s response is indefensible, seriously unacceptable 

• Like 12

7 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I completely agree.  We won't travel anywhere now without our AirTags.  It's a wonderful feeling settling into your seat on a long-haul flight knowing your bags are flying with you.

• Like 3

I meant to add that although we enjoy sailing with Oceania, and have for many cruises, I won't hesitate to call out negligent or careless behaviour at any time.  I think Oceania's attitude, more than anything,  in this instance needs to be severely criticised.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, basor said:

I wish the best with your next cruise line and hope they provide you with an amazing experience,  Please let us know who you choose to cruise with in the future

For our next cruises we are booked on Explora Journey and later on Azamara Onward

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One hallmark of cheerleaders is they keep cheering for their team, no matter how they play.  We have never had a problem disembarking at NYC ports (done it many times on mulitple cruise lines).  And I guess the fault of the rust and A/C is also the fault of the OP (and certainly not O).  No A/C in the tropics.  If there were no other cabins we would have requested to be disembarked at the next port and flown home at O's expense.  

Hank

Do you think that they would pay for flights from South America to Europe if they are not willing to pay 450 USD for the luggage transportation ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Mkdvmz said:

When an airline loses your bag, they take responsibility for its return. The baggage handlers in NYC airports work for the Port Authority

Incorrect.

The ramp workers either work for the airline directly, or are employees of a ground handling company such as Menzies or Swissport or similar, who are contractors for the airline.  They are NOT governmental employees of PANYNJ.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:24 PM, Mkdvmz said:

When an airline loses your bag, they take responsibility for its return. The baggage handlers in NYC airports work for the Port Authority but the individual airlines still assume responsibility for returning your luggage. They do NOT charge shipping and handling. Oceania’s response is indefensible, seriously unacceptable 

In many cases they end up being sold by a company near Atlanta that gets unclaimed luggage from the airlines. Airlines do handle delayed baggage that has been incorrectly routed or missed a connection. But many such bags become unclaimed and sold.

11 minutes ago, TRLD said:

In many cases they end up being sold by a company near Atlanta that gets unclaimed luggage from the airlines. Airlines do handle delayed baggage that has been incorrectly routed or missed a connection. But many such bags become unclaimed and sold.

It was NOT an airline it was OCEANIA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mkdvmz said:

Do the airlines do it out of kindness or are their federal regulations for domestic flights and treaties for international flights that require they do so?