Bare Necessities - Warning: Pollyanna Post

idocdlw

19 hours ago, fmrlkr said:

I was on the Joy post refurbishment transatlantic with friends, husband and wife and me.  He had fallen in a cave on a cruise in December and had surgery on 3 rotator cuffs.  It was his right arm.  Our last specialty dining was at Le Bistro.  Best meal I have ever had on a ship.  Best waitress I have ever had on a ship.  The food was delicious, the presentation was excellent.  When they uncovered our meals, my friend reached for her husbands duck so she could cut it for him.  Our waitress told her, no, you start your meal, I will cut it for him.  She proceeded to cut his meal and even fed him one or two pieces so he could eat with us.  It was a beautiful thing to do.  We made sure to write a hero card for her.  

Similar thing happened in Le Bistro when we were on a cruise after my wife broke her wrist and had a cast.  The meat came out already cut.  So nice!  Also, she got some much extra attention from crew all over the ship.

• Like 2

@idocdlw I love the positivity thread!  I'm an NCL veteran, but will be going on my first TA in April.  I really look forward to the sea days.  I love being able to have down time to read books on my Kindle, to have a nice sit-down lunch (the scallops on one of the rotating lunch menus are fantastic) with a glass of wine, going for a pre-dinner cocktail or two, and carrying one to dinner to tide me over until I can get a glass of wine.  Favorite night caps  include Caipirinhas and Sidecars. 

Looks like most of my favorite things include libations!  But I still enjoy reading.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

@idocdlw I love the positivity thread!  I'm an NCL veteran, but will be going on my first TA in April.  I really look forward to the sea days.  I love being able to have down time to read books on my Kindle, to have a nice sit-down lunch (the scallops on one of the rotating lunch menus are fantastic) with a glass of wine, going for a pre-dinner cocktail or two, and carrying one to dinner to tide me over until I can get a glass of wine.  Favorite night caps  include Caipirinhas and Sidecars. 

Looks like most of my favorite things include libations!  But I still enjoy reading.

As a former bartender, I have no idea what Caipirinhas (do the pirinhas/piranhas bite?) or Sidecars are (I tended in beer/simple cocktails). I will definitely have to google those drinks & maybe try both on my upcoming sailing. Thanks for the positive post!

Edited by idocdlw
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, idocdlw said:

As a former bartender, I have no idea what Caipirinhas (do the pirinhas/piranhas bite?) or Sidecars are (I tended in beer/simple cocktails). I will definitely have to google those drinks & maybe try both on my upcoming sailing. Thanks for the positive post!

Looked 'em both up...sound very yummy...will have to try!

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:12 AM, idocdlw said:

Wow mugtech - you have traveled to so many places that I would love to see. I can tell that you had a great time & made good memories by all the !!!!!!  lol

Elaine Benes school of writing!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Elaine Benes school of writing!!!

Here's to those who wish us well, to those who don't, go to hell! 

Yeah...I had to google that :classic_smile:

Edited by idocdlw

talk about bare necessities, this april will be our 26th cruise with ncl. we've been to naples and we took a cab to the amalfi coast, beautiful. we've taken a river cruise on the seinne, i rode an elephant in bangkok, swam with stingrays in grand caymen island, visited the tower of pisa, colleseum in Rome,, took a gondola in venice, toured the Vatican/sistine chapel, stayed overnight in london  and saw Wicked in londons west end the night before going to southampton all with ncl cruise lines.  we're now scheduled for a b2b from rio to lisbon and in sept iceland to southampton

ive posted many times before, i book with ncl because pricewise, and ports of call (inmo) ncl beats all competition hands down.

im not concerned about, the food, entertainment, on board activities etc. as long as i have a balcony where i can sit and watch the sunset and the world float by, have an ice cold heineken, i happier than a pig in poop. 

my one and only major complaint, as ive posted many times before, is that my hamburger bun falls apart before im finished with the burger. totally 1st world problem.

my drink package covers what i want, a glass of champagne in the morning, a mojito in the afternoon, a chivas before dinner and a glass of port wine after dinner and maybe a ate night margarita (or 2 or maybe even 3) LOL

as the song goes "who could ask for anything more"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

talk about bare necessities, this april will be our 26th cruise with ncl. we've been to naples and we took a cab to the amalfi coast, beautiful. we've taken a river cruise on the seinne, i rode an elephant in bangkok, swam with stingrays in grand caymen island, visited the tower of pisa, colleseum in Rome,, took a gondola in venice, toured the Vatican/sistine chapel, stayed overnight in london  and saw Wicked in londons west end the night before going to southampton all with ncl cruise lines.  we're now scheduled for a b2b from rio to lisbon and in sept iceland to southampton

ive posted many times before, i book with ncl because pricewise, and ports of call (inmo) ncl beats all competition hands down.

im not concerned about, the food, entertainment, on board activities etc. as long as i have a balcony where i can sit and watch the sunset and the world float by, have an ice cold heineken, i happier than a pig in poop. 

my one and only major complaint, as ive posted many times before, is that my hamburger bun falls apart before im finished with the burger. totally 1st world problem.

my drink package covers what i want, a glass of champagne in the morning, a mojito in the afternoon, a chivas before dinner and a glass of port wine after dinner and maybe a ate night margarita (or 2 or maybe even 3) LOL

as the song goes "who could ask for anything more"

Wunderbar!!! So envious of your adventures...hopefully I can follow in your footsteps in the future. Thanks for the share. :classic_smile:

Keep 'em coming NCL cruising peeps!

Posted (edited)

I want all new NCL cruisers to come to this thread to see all the wonder & joy that an NCL cruise can bestow on their lives. Share the love!!! :classic_love:

Edited by idocdlw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nothing to envy, just pick a cruise at a price you wish to pay, going to place you wish to see, and voila youre on board the cruise ship. by the way, at most ports, we hire a cab rather than the ncl excursions. just take the excursion description with you, show the driver which  one you want, and most of the time he'll take  you to those same places, at a much more reasonable cost. the nice thing is that he will stop any where you want along the way, let you take as many pictures as you want (a must for me) 

no and by the way, on any ncl ship we've everbeen on, i havent ever seen a wunder bar LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

nothing to envy, just pick a cruise at a price you wish to pay, going to place you wish to see, and voila youre on board the cruise ship. by the way, at most ports, we hire a cab rather than the ncl excursions. just take the excursion description with you, show the driver which  one you want, and most of the time he'll take  you to those same places, at a much more reasonable cost. the nice thing is that he will stop any where you want along the way, let you take as many pictures as you want (a must for me) 

no and by the way, on any ncl ship we've everbeen on, i havent ever seen a wunder bar LOL!

Hehehe...I have never seen a wunder bar either. I mostly book private excursions myself. Had a close call making it back to the ship in the Caymans but everyone else did too so no worries. 

I try to score a geocache everywhere I visit but I only started in 2008 when I was stationed in Germany so I missed opportunities in the ROK & in Guam. Have strived to score one in every country/state since then. My upcoming sailing should give me two more scores...Portugal & England. 

If I can log a geocache in those two countries, that would make me very happy.

Just now, idocdlw said:

I try to score a geocache everywhere I visit but I only started in 2008 when I was stationed in Germany so I missed opportunities in the ROK & in Guam. Have strived to score one in every country/state since then. My upcoming sailing should give me two more scores...Portugal & England. 

If I can log a geocache in those two countries, that would make me very happy.

I've been in the UK before, but it was before my geocaching days.

Posted (edited)

geocaching.com Check it out.

World wide game locating caches (hides). Started by two guys in Oregon years ago when gps was a new thing to the general public. They challenged each other to find hidden objects by providing their opponent with gps coordinates. It grew from there.

Nerd's game...I am a nerd

Edited by idocdlw

On 2/28/2024 at 4:59 PM, idocdlw said:

In this thread, please share only what you love about NCL, great experiences you have experienced on NCL & unforgettable interactions on NCL to help those of us who are first timers on NCL stop worrying that we may have a less than par cruise (no grievances please).

Please help me become more excited/less anxious about my upcoming cruise. Thanks a bunch!

Bare Necessities (you know the Jungle Book song...hum while you read)
Look for the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities;
Forget about your worries and your strife.
I mean the bare necessities, or Mother Nature’s recipes
That bring the bare necessities of life!
Wherever I wander, wherever I roam,
I couldn’t be fonder of my big home
The bees are buzzing in the trees
to make some honey just for me.
You look under the rocks and plants
And take a glance at the fancy ants,
Then maybe try a few!
“Don’t mind if I do!”
Yeah!
The bare necessities of life will come to you (They’ll come to you)
They’ll come to you (They’ll come to you)
They’ll come to (They’ll come to you)
They’ll come to
You! You!
You! You!
The bare necessities of life!
Oh, yeah! 

image.png.47fe6abfda7d8014f4b74eaf21febdae.png

God Bless you.  What a great idea for a thread, and so welcomed.  Thank you!

• Like 1

@idocdlw...haven't taken as many NCL cruises as you.

But...

-Have sailed in a Solo Cabin

-Have sailed in the Haven as a Solo

-Have sailed in Balconies, Club Balconies, Insides, and Haven as a couple

-Have sailed with FAS

-Have sailed w/o FAS (FAS is much better and much cheaper)

-Have sailed and received a final bill of -65¢

-Have sailed and received a final bill of ~$1,800

-Have sailed on a 7 day cruise for a total out of pocket (incl fare, taxes, DSC tips) of $780

-Have sailed on an NCL ship that no longer exists (SS Norway)

-Have sailed on an NCL ship that listed from a sudden gust of wind it threw me out of bed (Escape)

-Saw Blue Man Group, Rock of Ages, Illusionarium, SIX, Jersey Boys, Choir of Man, Million Dollar Quartet, Price is Right, Deal or No Deal, Prom Night, Rumours, Beatles at the Cavern Club and more that I'm sure I am forgetting.

-Went from a steam room to a snow room to a salt room in the Spa

-Received a nice massage (albeit way over priced)

-Received a couples massage with the GF on Tabiana Beach for 20% the cost of the one on the cruise ship

-Drank "smoky drinks" in the Haven

-Danced until I sweat off  5 lbs (literally) at the Glow Party

-Went down the "toilet bowl" slide (Epic)

-Spent an entire day on the Waterfront reading and finishing a book while being served cocktails, breaking only for meals and bathroom breaks

-Saw Whales and a glacier from the Observation Lounge on the Bliss while drinking a hot toddy.

-Stood on the bow of the ship while doing a 180º turn around in Glacier Bay while being served Irish Coffee

-Ate food that I would NEVER have tried at home

-Visited Caribbean, Mexico, Spain, Italy, France, Malta, Majorca, Sicily, Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor, Miami, Orlando, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Key West, New York City, Boston, and probably a bunch more I don't recall.......all the while eating and drinking my fill.  Shaking my head at those who don't appreciate their great fortune to be able to do the same.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I love the turn that this thread has taken. I'm about to take my fifth cruise, all on NCL. Because of NCL and being able to find great deals on cruises, I've:

- Seen the pyramids

- Had dinner somewhere in the Kahn el-Khalili in Cairo

- Took a train from Alexandria to Cairo for a $12 first class ticket RT. I was the only westerner that I saw on the train

- Visited a glass maker shop in the City of the Dead. I had to walk around the goats fighting over garbage in the doorway

- Wandered through a Cairo grocery store while, surreally, Annie Lennox sang "Why?" on the store's music system

- Spent the night in a charming little boutique-y hotel on the fifth floor of a building in a quiet area of Cairo. Hotel Longchamps. 

- Had gelato in Naples

- Got the surprise of my life at how much I was stunned by St Peter's Basilica

- Flown over a glacier in Alaska

- Landed on a remote Alaskan lake on a seaplane 

- Got lost walking around Istanbul twice in 24 hours

- Visited the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar, and one tiny little deserted market in Istanbul just after they opened in the morning

- Walked the seashore of Turkey. Twice.

- Saw the Parthenon

- Saw the antikythera device. It took some doing to convince the cab driver that I really did want to leave the Parthenon area and go there!

- Walked the streets of Ponta Delgado in the Azores

- Had afternoon tea in Bermuda 

- Sailed the English Channel and saw the white cliffs of Dover and the Seven Sisters from the sea

- Had Smorrebrod in Copenhagen 

I've sailed the Mediterranean Sea, the Atlantic Ocean, a small piece of the Caribbean, the Inside Passage, the English Channel, and the North Sea - some being places where the maritime traditions are deep and rich, where humans have been sailing for thousands of years, and where sailing goes back to the deepest roots of civilization

I can hardly find a thing on this list that I would have seen or done if not for NCL and it's favorable pricing. Maybe Athens or Rome, but not both. I've been lucky to grab some last-minute deals and see the world. 

People tell me that it's not "real" travel because you don't stay anywhere long enough for a culture deep dive. Pffft.  I wouldn't trade seeing and doing all these things for *any* longer stay anywhere. Look at what I've done! And once I complete my upcoming Transatlantic, I'll still be under $30,000 OTD for all of them (I mostly use points to fly to ports.) Zero chance that I see a fraction of this for $30,000 - and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm actually under $25,000 - any other way

Edited by Miss Ellsworth
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

@idocdlw...haven't taken as many NCL cruises as you.

But...

-Have sailed in a Solo Cabin

-Have sailed in the Haven as a Solo

-Have sailed in Balconies, Club Balconies, Insides, and Haven as a couple

-Have sailed with FAS

-Have sailed w/o FAS (FAS is much better and much cheaper)

-Have sailed and received a final bill of -65¢

-Have sailed and received a final bill of ~$1,800

-Have sailed on a 7 day cruise for a total out of pocket (incl fare, taxes, DSC tips) of $780

-Have sailed on an NCL ship that no longer exists (SS Norway)

-Have sailed on an NCL ship that listed from a sudden gust of wind it threw me out of bed (Escape)

-Saw Blue Man Group, Rock of Ages, Illusionarium, SIX, Jersey Boys, Choir of Man, Million Dollar Quartet, Price is Right, Deal or No Deal, Prom Night, Rumours, Beatles at the Cavern Club and more that I'm sure I am forgetting.

-Went from a steam room to a snow room to a salt room in the Spa

-Received a nice massage (albeit way over priced)

-Received a couples massage with the GF on Tabiana Beach for 20% the cost of the one on the cruise ship

-Drank "smoky drinks" in the Haven

-Danced until I sweat off  5 lbs (literally) at the Glow Party

-Went down the "toilet bowl" slide (Epic)

-Spent an entire day on the Waterfront reading and finishing a book while being served cocktails, breaking only for meals and bathroom breaks

-Saw Whales and a glacier from the Observation Lounge on the Bliss while drinking a hot toddy.

-Stood on the bow of the ship while doing a 180º turn around in Glacier Bay while being served Irish Coffee

-Ate food that I would NEVER have tried at home

-Visited Caribbean, Mexico, Spain, Italy, France, Malta, Majorca, Sicily, Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor, Miami, Orlando, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Key West, New York City, Boston, and probably a bunch more I don't recall.......all the while eating and drinking my fill.  Shaking my head at those who don't appreciate their great fortune to be able to do the same.

Wow!  graphicguy...my upcoming cruise will be my first NCL venture. I started the thread to reassure myself that NCL is a good choice. I love all of the things you have listed in your post. Thank you for sharing your experiences...and I appreciate your spirit & humor. :classic_laugh:

Edited by idocdlw
grammar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miss Ellsworth said:

I love the turn that this thread has taken. I'm about to take my fifth cruise, all on NCL. Because of NCL and being able to find great deals on cruises, I've:

- Seen the pyramids

- Took a train from Alexandria to Cairo for a $12 first class ticket RT. I was the only westerner that I saw on the train

- Visited a glass maker shop in the City of the Dead. I had to walk around the goats fighting over garbage in the doorway

- Wandered through a Cairo grocery store while, surreally, Annie Lennox sang "Why?" on the store's music system

- Spent the night in a charming little boutique-y hotel on the fifth floor of a building in a quiet area of Cairo. Hotel Longchamps. 

- Had gelato in Naples

- Visited the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar, and one tiny little deserted market in Istanbul just after they opened in the morning

- Saw the Parthenon

- Saw the antikythera device. It took some doing to convince the cab driver that I really did want to leave the Parthenon area and go there!

- Sailed the English Channel and saw the white cliffs of Dover and the Seven Sisters from the sea

I've sailed the Mediterranean Sea, the Atlantic Ocean, a small piece of the Caribbean, the Inside Passage, the English Channel, and the North Sea - some being places where the maritime traditions are deep and rich, where humans have been sailing for thousands of years, and where sailing goes back to the deepest roots of civilization

I can hardly find a thing on this list that I would have seen or done if not for NCL and it's favorable pricing. Maybe Athens or Rome, but not both. I've been lucky to grab some last-minute deals and see the world. 

People tell me that it's not "real" travel because you don't stay anywhere long enough for a culture deep dive. Pffft.  I wouldn't trade seeing and doing all these things for *any* longer stay anywhere. Look at what I've done! And once I complete my upcoming Transatlantic, I'll still be under $30,000 OTD for all of them (I mostly use points to fly to ports.) Zero chance that I see a fraction of this for $30,000 - and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm actually under $25,000 - any other way

Miss Ellsworth...thank you so much for sharing all your experiences & your views on "real travel". I love that you own it all by stating "Look at what I've done!" You go girl!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss Ellsworth said:

- Seen the pyramids

- Had gelato in Naples

- Saw the Parthenon

Had to read your post a second time. I had no awareness of the "antikythera device". Had to look it up. I have been to the Parthenon but if I had known about the antikythera device, I would have insisted on going to see it. Thanks for sharing such valuable information!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, idocdlw said:

Had to read your post a second time. I had no awareness of the "antikythera device". Had to look it up. I have been to the Parthenon but if I had known about the antikythera device, I would have insisted on going to see it. Thanks for sharing such valuable information!

Believe me, my cab driver really didn't think that I knew what I was talking about. Most cruise px stick with the Parthenon

On my second visit to Athens via NCL (I can't *believe* that I left this off my list) I didn't want to repeat the Parthenon and museum. I found a cab driver who barely spoke English, and I speak zero Greek. He had a color picture guide book of Greece, and I was somehow able to use it to say that I just wanted to drive along the seashore

WELL. He drove me about an hour and 15 minutes to see the Temple of Poseidon (Sojuion?) He showed me in the guide book where we were going before we left the port. I'd never heard of it but was game for the seashore drive part of it.

It was a perfect sunny day with blue skies, most of the drive along the beautiful Grecian coast - I found myself thinking no wonder some section of humanity decided to stop and live here! I had a nice 30-minute stop at the Temple, which I had nearly to myself. It's built out on a promontory into the sea and is so dramatic, before heading back to Athens

Despite the language differences, on the way back I sat in the front seat and we happily chatted away and managed to communicate where we lived compared to big cities, how much housing cost, he pointed out which areas we passed were for wealthy vacationing Greeks, etc. And in my second surreal overseas musical moment, I drove past a vacation enclave of little cottages clinging to the shore while Four Non Blondes sang "What's Going On" on the car radio

At the end, I tipped him extremely well and he gave me the only thing he really had to give me - his pictured guide book of Greece that he used to communicate to cruise pax that he will take them to the Parthenon. It's in my Top 3, maybe Top 1 of things I've gotten on cruises - just because he gave it to me.  He was as thrilled with his unexpected day on a beautiful drive as I was - he said it was a nice break from battling Athens traffic taking cruisers between the port and the Parthenon!

It was one of my best days cruising, and I can't believe that I left it off my list

But like the cabbie on the first trip going to see the antikythera device, it really took a lot to convince this guy at the start that I didn't want to go to the usual sites!

Edited by Miss Ellsworth
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Miss Ellsworth said:

Believe me, my cab driver really didn't think that I knew what I was talking about. Most cruise px stick with the Parthenon

On my second visit to Athens via NCL (I can't *believe* that I left this off my list) I didn't want to repeat the Parthenon and museum. I found a cab driver who barely spoke English, and I speak zero Greek. He had a color picture guide book of Greece, and I was somehow able to use it to say that I just wanted to drive along the seashore

WELL. He drove me about an hour and 15 minutes to see the Temple of Poseidon (Sojuion?) He showed me in the guide book where we were going before we left the port. I'd never heard of it but was game for the seashore drive part of it.

It was a perfect sunny day with blue skies, most of the drive along the beautiful Grecian coast - I found myself thinking no wonder some section of humanity decided to stop and live here! I had a nice 30-minute stop at the Temple, which I had nearly to myself. It's built out on a promontory into the sea and is so dramatic, before heading back to Athens

Despite the language differences, on the way back I sat in the front seat and we happily chatted away and managed to communicate where we lived compared to big cities, how much housing cost, he pointed out which areas we passed were for wealthy vacationing Greeks, etc. And in my second surreal overseas musical moment, I drove past a vacation enclave of little cottages clinging to the shore while Four Non Blondes sang "What's Going On" on the car radio

At the end, I tipped him extremely well and he gave me the only thing he really had to give me - his pictured guide book of Greece that he used to communicate to cruise pax that he will take them to the Parthenon. It was one of my best days cruising, and I can't believe that I left it off my list

But like the cabbie on the first trip going to see the antikythera device, it really took a lot to convince this guy at the start that I didn't want to go to the usual sites!

This just illustrates how "not the normal tourist attraction" ventures can be sooo wonderful. Good for you that you advocated for the best experience for you.

BTW...What's Going On is one of my faves :classic_smile:

• Like 1