Totally ignorant newbie to HAL - LOTS of questions

malony33

One does need to at least plan for perhaps a two-day turnaround  time when laundry is sent out - often only one day and best of the same day.  But a two-day turnaround has happened.

Therefore  plan the numbers of your items that will need to pack for this 9 day cruise, with this in mind.  

A 9-day cruise in fact is really a 7 day active cruise, since the embarkation and departure days are included. 

Day 1 Embarkation Day

Day 2 -send items out and at the very worst get them back on Day 4

Day 3 - send items out and at the very worst get them back on Day 5

Day 4 - send items out and at the very worst get them back on Day 6

Day 5 - send items out and at the very worst get them back on Day 7

Day 6- send out items and at the very worst get them back on Day 8 

Day 7 - probably not able to send out any more items

Day 8 - for certain not able to send out any more items

Day 9 - Departure Day

You can pay extra for expedited service. So in some ways you need to pack double to cover the lag time between sending items out and the risk of not getting them back for two days. 

Point being, for long cruises unlimited laundry is a god-send. Not so much on shorter cruises or if one hopes to pack a lot less. 

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today - it is raining. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

One does need to at least plan for perhaps a two-day turnaround  time when laundry is sent out - often only one day and best of the same day.  But a two-day turnaround has happened.

Day 7 - probably not able to send out any more items

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today - it is raining. 

We could use some rain!

Just wanted to mention that a couple of times, on the day before the next-to-last day (equivalent to day 6 of a 9 day) I asked the steward to check and find out if I could get laundry back in time if I waited until the next-to-last day (or 7 in this table). After the steward asked and confirmed it was okay, I was able to wait that extra day. 

Just a thought, if anyone is brave enough to try!

Posted (edited)

We do love our "free laundry" and use it a lot on our longer cruises.

Typically we pack enough daily and frequent laundry items for 7 days, and then start sending them out on Day 5, and every fifth day thereafter. And add other less frequent laundry need items as needed, in those approx  every five day batches. 

Bad pun: But for a 9 day cruise it is kind of a wash.  One bag may be all one needs, to cut down on the daily wash items. So pack for five days to save luggage space?

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 1:46 PM, crystalspin said:

Since that TWENTY-SIX-DAY cruise, we have gone with the by-the-bag option, but for that to be economical, you must pack about a week's worth of clothes 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:37 PM, malony33 said:

...I'm going to the Caribbean on a 9-nt, so once I get my wardrobe together, I'll decide whether to do the laundry package or not

...packing lighter is the way to go and overpacking is ME - adjustments have to be made; too many injuries and chronic pain to lug too much stuff

@malony33 -- Although I complimented OlsSalt's table of days. a 9-day cruise has nine nights so EIGHT full days. Unlimited laundry has been recently reported to be $7.50 per day (but may be $8.50 in some regions) for the entire trip, and bags between $25 and $35. I think the Caribbean is on the lower side of those ranges.

If you are booked, you can see the unlimited price in Manage My Cruise, under Extras. 

Think of it as one bag = four days of unlimited in cost. The bag is cloth, stuffable and of a good size. Caribbean clothing tends to be thinner/smaller -- but gets dirty faster from sweating in the heat! 

If you have dilemmas with your packing list and laundry decision, you might want post down to 

Cruise Fashions & Beauty - Cruise Critic Community

We love talking about packing!

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:44 AM, malony33 said:

Thank you so much for the info; I know this took up a lot of your time. You are sooo kind. I wouldn't mind a solo cabin, except the idea of no sofa/chair...A few more questions:

The Vista Suite on the Rotterdam is lovely, but over $5K for me. I'm thinking about it, though. I thought I saw a few extras mentioned (??). 

Do you dress for the Gala nights? Cocktail dress, that is. MY WIFE ALWAYS DRESSES FOR GALA NIGHT. COCKTAIL ATTIRE! THEREFORE, I AM ALSO SUITABLY ATTIRED, ALTHOUGH I NO LONGER WEAR A TUXEDO.... JUST A SUIT AND TIE.. I WOULD GUESS ABOUT 50% OF PASSENGERS DRESS UP FOR GALA NIGHTS. DEPEDING ON THE CRUISE.

Is the laundry service worth it to cut down on packing? The cruise I'm looking at is 9 days; I have an injured neck, arm, shoulder, fibromyalgia - packing lighter would be SO great. PAIN!! IF YO CAN AFFORD TO THINK ABOUT A VISTA SUITE FOR COMFORT, YOU CAN AFFORD THE APPROXIMATELY $100 FOR UNLIMITED LAUNDRY SERVICE. IT WILL MAKE YOUR PACKING A BREEZE. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

I usually sail Celebrity; do you think HAL is a good substitute? What makes them so special for you? HAL AND CELEBRITY ARE VERY SIMILAR IN DEMOGRAPHICS. I LIKE THE FOOD A BIT BETTER ON HAL. 

Again thankful - this is so helpful.

See answers above, in bold caps. If you're going solo, you probably will have enough room in a regular cabin. I have done Neptune suites on multiple occasions. The best perk for that class is breakfast in a cozier place, the Pinnacle Grille and the Neptune Lounge'

Unlike other guests, my first laundry bag is placed on the bed on Embarkation Day when I go to dinner.  Without exception, the laundry is returned the following afternoon (usually a Gala/Dressy night). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Unlike other guests, my first laundry bag is placed on the bed on Embarkation Day when I go to dinner.  Without exception, the laundry is returned the following afternoon (usually a Gala/Dressy night). 

Our experience as well. We usually take a couple days to get to the ship, so there can be some laundry "buildup". 

• Like 1