On Board Credit is it real?

59 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

If you think you are getting something for free without handing over any cash then I am not sure who is the silly one!

The shareholder OBC is a discount not a free gift - buy this and it is £150 cheaper, not here is £150 free just for holding the shares.

Now obviously there are those who will say "but I was going to but it anyway" and the answer to that is that it is still a discount and not a free gift.

I should have known I couldn't debate with you . I'll move on.

6 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

We have recently completed a cruise for 2 weeks on P&O where we were offered £350 OBC and with my shareholder benefit that was increased to £500,  great, but, not till the end of the cruise did I realise that when you use the OBC you do not get the Peninsular discount applied. So for my £500, which I totally used, with my meagre 5% club discount had it been applied, was only allowed to buy £475 or if the discount was applied I could have had £526 a difference of £51. Now, there are higher discounts up to 10% where the difference will be £105 (£450 to £555). Which makes it even worse, the passengers most loyal get less for their OBC than someone who has just had their first cruise.

I appreciate the OBC is a gift and much appreciated, however, the most loyal passenger get less for their £ than the passenger who are taking their first cruise. At present there are a number of cruises being offered with OBC as an incentive for you to buy. Interestingly since my last cruise I have moved up a grade and now get 7.5% so next time my £500 OBS will only afford me £462.50 so my loyalty will cost me £12.50.

I think P&O need to look at this, they are not appreciating loyalty by offering these OBC's without discount.

I agree our Loyalty discount should be allowed straight away.

We always book balcony cabins on select fare and take the OBC option.

Our last cruise we booked 18 months in advance and got £700 OBC.

The late saver prices were more expensive than we paid and no OBC.

At least when I book speciality restaurants and excursions online pre-cruise I get 20% restaurant discount and my loyalty discount as well.

• Like 1

May I ask if you can prebook excursions etc with OBC like you can with RCCL or does it literally mean once onboard. I have over £470 OBC and would prefer to use on excursions but do they get sold out beforehand as I would not want to risk it.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, shilu said:

May I ask if you can prebook excursions etc with OBC like you can with RCCL or does it literally mean once onboard. I have over £470 OBC and would prefer to use on excursions but do they get sold out beforehand as I would not want to risk it.

You cannot use OBC to prebook tours. Some popular tours do get sold out. If it is a must do tour then probably better to prebook to play safe.

Edited by yorkshirephil

I see OBC as this 

A cruise is £2000 i get no OBC. I spend £500 onboard.

A cruise is £2500 i get £500 OBC i spend nothing exta on board. 

Works out the same. 

So OBC deals has its pros and cons but it all boils down to if there is any promotion for your cruise. For us on our last P & O we had £750 OBC and struggled to spend it really. Even though it was OBC i still felt ripped off at the prices of goods in the onboard shops. Ended up lots of stuff for daughter 😂

As for saver v select. I really dont care where my room is, and i always work out if the difference matches the benifits by researching Southampton parking, OBC, port shuttle etc. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I see OBC as this 

A cruise is £2000 i get no OBC. I spend £500 onboard.

A cruise is £2500 i get £500 OBC i spend nothing exta on board. 

Works out the same. 

So OBC deals has its pros and cons but it all boils down to if there is any promotion for your cruise. For us on our last P & O we had £750 OBC and struggled to spend it really. Even though it was OBC i still felt ripped off at the prices of goods in the onboard shops. Ended up lots of stuff for daughter 😂

As for saver v select. I really dont care where my room is, and i always work out if the difference matches the benifits by researching Southampton parking, OBC, port shuttle etc. 

Same here, last cruise we had the option of a saver fare or for £180 each we could

chose our cabin and they would give us £550 OBC.

So they pay us £190  to choose our cabin . No gripes from me 🙂

• Like 1

Since 2010, when we first required an accessible cabin, we have usually booked at launch, enjoying 10% off the launch price, and since we booked select but chose not to use CPS or the coach, the basic amount of OBC, plus £150 shareholder OBC.

In my opinion all of that was free money, because it applied to everyone and flexible pricing did not commence until the first week after launch, so the b*******g about with the basic price and OBC never affected us.