Live from EJ1 - Miami to Barbados 8/3 (or 3/8 if you insist) >

Noggins

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I knew I had seen these images - found them in the original brochure!

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

Some imaginative thinking going on in that CGI image. It maybe not be entirely clear from my photo but no lounger would ever fit on that rear platform. And is that a glass wall showing?! 

Edited by Noggins
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Some imaginative thinking going on in that CGI image. It maybe not be entirely clear from my photo but no lounger would ever fit on that rear platform. And is that a glass wall showing?! 

Steel railings… I think 🤔 that it’s meant for watersports and such while docked…

Chairs? Yes!   Chaise loungers?  

image.gif

We may be off the ship (and therefore allowed to revert to a normal vocabulary?) but we've still got a bit to finish up:

- remainder of last night

- disembarkation

and probably not today

- a closer look at our room. some extra photos of features plus some suggestions - including which rooms not to book!

- some sort of summary.

Adrian 

55 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Which pool is adults only ?

Hello Maggie

My answer was going to be aft pool but given Chris' comment about noisy children (possibly prompting your question) the answer would seem to be one of the following:

- I don't know

- it's the aft pool but no-one checks

- it's not the aft pool but the 'cool crowd' are prone to screeching like kids.

Children definitely used the central conservatory pool.

Adrian

ps I'm very sorry about the book misunderstanding.....🤭

30 minutes ago, PrivateIdaho said:

The Helios Pool is adults only. During our cruises it was never open either due to weather or maintenance. 

It has a permanent issue, it was designed by people who forgot ships move.  So it very kindly empties onto the cruisers sunbathing below whenever the ship rocks.  They can open it when overnight in ports.  In November they were talking to designers about a solution - the common sense solution which involves a raised holding transparent wall doesn't fit the look and feel the stylists want.  Until practical vs look is resolved, its not going to be open a lot

37 minutes ago, uktog said:

It has a permanent issue, it was designed by people who forgot ships move.  So it very kindly empties onto the cruisers sunbathing below whenever the ship rocks.  They can open it when overnight in ports.  In November they were talking to designers about a solution - the common sense solution which involves a raised holding transparent wall doesn't fit the look and feel the stylists want.  Until practical vs look is resolved, its not going to be open a lot

It was open then closed a lot last cruise. I couldn't quite see what the problem was other than that they often failed to put the right amount of water in it. It works like a conventional infinity pool and there is a glass wall in front of the overflow channel. Most of the time the at up worked effectively but when they overfilled the pool the bases of the double loungers were in the water, the overflow channel overflowed and water seeped under the glass wall damaging the timber and allowing some water onto the deck.

(A minor issue compared with the floods raining down on GT terraces!)

3 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Which pool is adults only ?

The Helios pool area at the front of the ship is adults only. The Astern pool is not, as I can testify from the noise of screaming kids right below my rear facing "Residence". Not making that area adults only is a big mistake as the disturbance effects the guests in the most expensive suites on the ship. We were planning a Christmas cruise in the Cocoon suite, but dropped the idea when we realised that over the holidays there will likely be many more kids in the pool beneath us.

6 hours ago, Noggins said:

We went to the aft pool disco event for sunset last night. It was the place that all the cool people go to. So, we kept a low profile and found a perfect hidden away spot with an uninterrupted view of the ocean. Fortunately  we were not so hidden away that champagne failed to find us. A state of serenity most definitely emerged - putting out of sync all other plans for the evening.

Being on the aft deck - a deck so many ships don't have - it did give an opportunity to review the aft facing accommodation. If you look closely one room must have such a small bathroom the tub has been put on the terrace. I hope no-one was trying to catch up on sleep following a brutal early awakening - those disco beats might have been a bit intrusive?

(if, reading between the lines, you're spotting a trace of envy you might not be entirely wrong...)

IMG_20240317_173408921.thumb.jpg.72138ebf50a1d25213e6c1d0ecee33d5.jpg

IMG_20240317_173414145.thumb.jpg.8e137168ce5411941a8221b780cfcfb7.jpg

IMG_20240317_182642547.thumb.jpg.6c81e3399b16e21a15566d3e4e75c3ed.jpg

Life is beautiful. Just add some champagne and I am absolutely happy 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Noggins...

We are scheduled to sail on Explora II next January.  I have read all eight pages of your post and have enjoyed reading about your experiences. Since you were not in one of the higher-priced staterooms, did you encounter any situations that might make you feel like a steerage passenger?   When you mentioned having passengers arrive after you and be processed before you, is it possible that was due to their higher stateroom level?  We sailed in MSC's Yacht Club and enjoyed that experience.  However, there were times when we felt a bit too entitled.  

10 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Noggins...

We are scheduled to sail on Explora II next January.  I have read all eight pages of your post and have enjoyed reading about your experiences. Since you were not in one of the higher-priced staterooms, did you encounter any situations that might make you feel like a steerage passenger?   When you mentioned having passengers arrive after you and be processed before you, is it possible that was due to their higher stateroom level?  We sailed in MSC's Yacht Club and enjoyed that experience.  However, there were times when we felt a bit too entitled.  

We sailed  in an OT 1 and had no issues we were treated well throughout the ship

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Noggins...

I remember that - it seems a long time ago! It was caused by poorly managed seating - sort of inevitable 'first in last out'. Apart from the first lunchtime debacle which was a bit of a different issue there was never any sense of status. In fact we were addressed by name on so many occasions we almost felt we were being mistaken for occupants of the 'owner's suite'. 

You do need to give your room number at every restaurant so they do know who you are. Whether or not there are comments / warnings on the screen to warn / alert / advise staff I cannot say!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Exactly this is a COST CUTTING move plain & simple making me think my upcoming Explora next month will be 1 and done 

After some careful thought I've decided to offer you my very best advice (and, I'll have you know, I used to be able to charge outrageous sums for my advice!) which is not to jump to any early conclusions. Perhaps in a blind tasting you wouldn't even taste the difference...?

And if you're looking for a cruise line that never 'cut' anything (I rather think Explora has swapped ' unnecessary ' spend in one area to allow extra investment elsewhere.)

then good luck with that.

If Explora do embark on cost cutting then they will be awash with opportunity. There are no end of things in the 'money no object' category at the moment.

Go ahead and have a wonderful time - I am sure you will (if you let yourself).

• Like 6

Time to get back on track 

Last night we had our 3rd visit to Sakura. Two things made it feel less 'samey'. The second visit we ate outside on their terrace beside the aft pool and the the third time (last night) we had taken the precaution of, with advance notice, requesting an off menu main course. I think we were fortunate and the light passenger load must have made a difference. Furthermore, it was not a complex dish! But, as it was so good, it made a difference to the experience.

It was a leisurely meal and seemed to make a fitting last evening - even without a show. (Others will need to report on the other two evening scheduled events - farewell from the crew and what we used to call 'a dance'! Perhaps I've described them inadequately)

IMG_20240317_203840476.thumb.jpg.eb4eb4e7f3b63245d018d3abf4650be0.jpg

IMG_20240317_201039888.thumb.jpg.f8d93f76fe20c8c1b53209eeff5c163d.jpg

Then to this morning. It's a sure sign your cruise is at an end when the view from your room changes from a beautiful view to a view like this - an ugly warehouse 

IMG_20240318_070905942.thumb.jpg.dc306bd604f987b84152da415e0f54aa.jpg

Our disembarkation / breakfast experience may not reflect that of most passengers and that goes back to a chance happening yesterday... .  I was aware of the need to organise a visa for entry into Barbados and was all organised to do it on line. But as I was curious to know why the ship had not offered any advice I decided to have a chat at reception. It turned out we should have had a full set of instructions on the special onboard arrangements for immigration to take place this morning prior to leaving the ship. This would commence at 8am. We should also have been issued luggage tags.

So, we were not recorded as guests leaving the ship! If only I had known we could have stayed on! Perhaps....

Later, the luggage labels arrived but we never got the instructions on how debarkation was to be organised. Anticipating a zoo of 400 guests at 8am all wanting to get processed by Barbados immigration in the show lounge we decided to go a little early. We were the only ones there and got 'done' almost immediately. Result! Then off to a leisurely breakfast in Fil Rouge. Great, well paced service again. Then back to our room to finally sort bags and chat to our charming host who was also going home today. He has the means now to buy himself a few beers in the many airports he'll visit on his long journey home - darn it, I promised myself I wouldn't use that word again - on his long TRIP home.

Meanwhile Michael had been busy making announcements calling guests by group. But as these announcements were not relayed to the rooms we had no idea whether our group had been called. So we walked off the ship. Easy peasy.

There was a brief hiatus, as in Miami all that time ago, rendezvousing with our driver but she got us as quickly as she could to our hotel for the day.

IMG_20240318_134112184.thumb.jpg.71364e303a14ba18113a0e059c6a4dbd.jpg

A pleasant lunch was very nearly in the ocean. Then Tanya collected us again to bring  us to the airport. Virgin sorted us out very quickly and deposited us in their lounge. (Which is not quite the Clubhouse in London ...) But more importantly the plane is here and we are hopeful our bed for the night will prove adequate.

• Like 4

Noggins, what a marvellous reading, I have so much appreciated it😀

If I can ask, what is your thoughts of Explora vs Crystal? I will do a 7 night solo cruise in november/december on either Explora 2 or Crystal Serenity in the Caribbean. Solo outside cabin on Crystal and ocean terrace suite on Explora. $3500 for Crystal and $5.000 for Explora, including $400 on board credit for Explora. Any recommendations? 

17 minutes ago, English Tim said:

I don’t understand why you needed a Visa to get into Barbados!

You're right, it's not a visa as such - but visa is a nice short word that folk understand! If you want to know what they call it look at this...

https://travelform.gov.bb/

7 hours ago, Noggins said:

After some careful thought I've decided to offer you my very best advice (and, I'll have you know, I used to be able to charge outrageous sums for my advice!) which is not to jump to any early conclusions. Perhaps in a blind tasting you wouldn't even taste the difference...?

And if you're looking for a cruise line that never 'cut' anything (I rather think Explora has swapped ' unnecessary ' spend in one area to allow extra investment elsewhere.)

then good luck with that.

If Explora do embark on cost cutting then they will be awash with opportunity. There are no end of things in the 'money no object' category at the moment.

Go ahead and have a wonderful time - I am sure you will (if you let yourself).

No worries as someone who STILL has multiple clients paying a lot for my advice I am going into it with an open mind as I DO with every new experience.  The fact that I recognize cost cutting - and have read multiple not so good reviews on this board including about many children on-board, poor service, repetitive menus, lack of chairs in the shade to mention just a few - in a product aspiring to be high end in less than it's first year of operation does make me wonder what next month or 6 months from now will bring.  Having sailed on Seabourn for many years I have experienced their cost cutting measures, Changing to a lower priced Champagne is like AA removing olives from drinks many years ago, hoping no one will notice to save $$.   Clearly you love the product, I am going into it with an open mind but will reserve judgement until on-board.

1 minute ago, 2SailingNomads said:

No worries as someone who STILL has multiple clients paying a lot for my advice I am going into it with an open mind as I DO with every new experience.  The fact that I recognize cost cutting - and have read multiple not so good reviews on this board including about many children on-board, poor service, repetitive menus, lack of chairs in the shade to mention just a few - in a product aspiring to be high end in less than it's first year of operation does make me wonder what next month or 6 months from now will bring.  Having sailed on Seabourn for many years I have experienced their cost cutting measures, Changing to a lower priced Champagne is like AA removing olives from drinks many years ago, hoping no one will notice to save $$.   Clearly you love the product, I am going into it with an open mind but will reserve judgement until on-board.

All i can say is the product is pretty darn good have fun

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Noggins said:

You're right, it's not a visa as such - but visa is a nice short word that folk understand! If you want to know what they call it look at this...

https://travelform.gov.bb/

Thanks, I didn’t realise they were still doing that and thought that if you were just transiting, it wasn’t required.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to provide a daily insight into your activities on the cruise. Often people ask questions beforehand but don’t take the trouble to provide the service which you have done, so much appreciated.

1 hour ago, English Tim said:

Thanks, I didn’t realise they were still doing that and thought that if you were just transiting, it wasn’t required.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to provide a daily insight into your activities on the cruise. Often people ask questions beforehand but don’t take the trouble to provide the service which you have done, so much appreciated.

We did not need it in December 

@Noggins I hope you had a good journey home and the post cruise trauma of self catering is not too brutal!

I wished to express my pleasure reading your reviews. I have been a member of CC for many years and I can honestly say your posts are the most informative and humorous I have read, I  look forward to your next cruise and reviews.

Thank you from a fellow traveller on your journey (trip), sadly metaphorically and not literally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2