Regent's Exursion planning Staff is non-existent.

As a frequent small ship luxury cruise traveler, I have been exceedingly impressed with the intimate knowledge of the excursions=planning personnel at Seabourn and Silversea cruise lines.  Their intimate, often personal, knowledge of each offering (how far from ship to bus pick up point, surfaces that might be impediments to walking with a cane or rolling walker, best recommended tours to reserve, etc.). 

But I have been exasperated, frustrated and disappointed with Regent Seven Seas. We booked a 14-day cruise in January '24 and 6 weeks have elapsed without any information helping us determine which excursions to book for our May '24 sail.  My impression is that the parent company. Norwegian Holdings (Norwegian, Oceania and Regent) have consolidated their excursion departments and have created firewalls actually impeding customer service reps from assisting their booked passengers from defining which excursions are most appropriate for mobility-challenged passengers.  As the average age of a Regent passenger is 60+ they have misjudged the value of their efforts to consolidate their land operations in their quest for greater profitability.

Six calls and an equal number of emails to senior management, and we have had no response.  I'm sure it will be a luxury cruise - cabin, food, service.  But my enjoyment, and return-on-investment drop significantly as we will enter each port of call not knowing whether the excursions we booked are navigable.

That's a reasonable question.  I'm using AX Platinum Card Travel and she has had the same experience. She calls RSSC customer service and the rep tells her they can only internally message the excursion department, but not call them - and then wait for their response.  At one point after requesting a supervisor we were promised a 48 hour turn around. It didnt happen. I directly emailed their executive in charge of guest relations and got no response.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hkparadise said:

As a frequent small ship luxury cruise traveler, I have been exceedingly impressed with the intimate knowledge of the excursions=planning personnel at Seabourn and Silversea cruise lines.  Their intimate, often personal, knowledge of each offering (how far from ship to bus pick up point, surfaces that might be impediments to walking with a cane or rolling walker, best recommended tours to reserve, etc.). 

But I have been exasperated, frustrated and disappointed with Regent Seven Seas. We booked a 14-day cruise in January '24 and 6 weeks have elapsed without any information helping us determine which excursions to book for our May '24 sail.  My impression is that the parent company. Norwegian Holdings (Norwegian, Oceania and Regent) have consolidated their excursion departments and have created firewalls actually impeding customer service reps from assisting their booked passengers from defining which excursions are most appropriate for mobility-challenged passengers.  As the average age of a Regent passenger is 60+ they have misjudged the value of their efforts to consolidate their land operations in their quest for greater profitability.

Six calls and an equal number of emails to senior management, and we have had no response.  I'm sure it will be a luxury cruise - cabin, food, service.  But my enjoyment, and return-on-investment drop significantly as we will enter each port of call not knowing whether the excursions we booked are navigable.

January 2024?

The shore excursion description you download from the Regent website shows difficulty level for each tour. In my experience, dealing with a mobility issue, I have been able to do tours with the one walker icon shown with ease (as well as seated tours). Those with two walkers vary significantly and can be problematic. 
Once on board, you will find another list of excursions in your cabin. Read this list carefully. I have found the difficulty level shown in this list to be more accurate and have changed tours based on this information. 

• Like 1

This is somewhat off topic but our next two cruises this year are on Silversea.  Silversea recently went to the "all inclusive" model, excursions are included.  In my experience Regent offers a much wider variety of "included" excurions.  Regent included excursions also include more high quality trips.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

The shore excursion description you download from the Regent website shows difficulty level for each tour. In my experience, dealing with a mobility issue, I have been able to do tours with the one walker icon shown with ease (as well as seated tours). Those with two walkers vary significantly and can be problematic. 
Once on board, you will find another list of excursions in your cabin. Read this list carefully. I have found the difficulty level shown in this list to be more accurate and have changed tours based on this information. 

Regent tour descriptions (sent out precruise are fairly detailed as to steps, time on bus, stops, ground surfaces and wheelchair access). You must read all parts including the pull down screen for each tour.

Once on board the staff will give more help if you ask.I have not had any problem finding tours I can do, and I use canes or a walker. We also have cruised with Seabourn and SS and I was not impressed with their tour offerings. I find Regents suits me better.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

Thank you. I was directed to those icons and found that on my 14 day vanilla cruise (France, Spain, Portugal) almost no single/seated options. So I carefully questioned the customer service reps for details on the  icons with 2 stick figures. Most contained admonitions that the passengers could expect 1.5-3 hours of walking/standing. Or warned that mobility challenged individuals carefully consider their personal endurance.  

Okay. Fair enough. I would consider my endurance, just provide me with sufficient information about the excursion so I may self-determine the difficulties I may face.  (I.e. how much walking vs standing is involved; will there be many staircases, cobblestones). 

Last Spring Seabourn assured me I could go on an excursion that involved a truffle “hunt” in Croatia and, separately in October a Zodiac ride on a waterway in Canada. They had. Details and staff who knew details and offered guidance.

Are these expectations unrealistic for the investment we are making?  And to your point, I shouldn’t have to wait for this information until I am on the ship. A little too little-too late!

• Like 3

Although we’ve not had too much interface with excursion staff ore cruise, we’ve found that all onboard staff have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable on both SS & Regent.

On a separate, but related matter: Only been on 1 SS cruise but can honestly say that their excursions were very high quality & used first class guides/operators. Regent are, generally, high standard and they don’t over fill the transport - but neither did SS.

We preferred the SS system of trips meeting shore side, none of this collecting your bus tickets in the theatre nonsense.  On the limited evidence of 1 cruise, I’d say SS run excursions far more efficiently and effectively than Regent tbh.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you. I was directed to those icons and found that on my 14 day vanilla cruise (France, Spain, Portugal) almost no single/seated options. So I carefully questioned the customer service reps for details on the  icons with 2 stick figures. Most contained admonitions that the passengers could expect 1.5-3 hours of walking/standing. Or warned that mobility challenged individuals carefully consider their personal endurance.  

Okay. Fair enough. I would consider my endurance, just provide me with sufficient information about the excursion so I may self-determine the difficulties I may face.  (I.e. how much walking vs standing is involved; will there be many staircases, cobblestones). 

Last Spring Seabourn assured me I could go on an excursion that involved a truffle “hunt” in Croatia and, separately in October a Zodiac ride on a waterway in Canada. They had. Details and staff who knew details and offered guidance.

Are these expectations unrealistic for the investment we are making?  And to your point, I shouldn’t have to wait for this information until I am on the ship. A little too little-too late!

If you can step over and into a Zodica or go on a truffle hunt which sounds like a walking tour, you should be able to read and determine for yourself if you can do the walking required by a Regent given tour, the possible problems are spelled out. After all only you know what your ability is. No one can reasonably be expected to make that choice for you.

I have never in 11 years seen description that did not tell the amount of walking in a closer range than 1.5-3 hrs. Many say you can stay on the bus if you don’t to want to walk. They usually are specific as to number of steps and time and conditions of the walking. I have been cruising with Regent since they started the included tours, 15 years ago we did diving and hiking tours, now much easier ones!  

Based on my experience with Regent, most all tours are basically good to very good even the free ones, they are as described either precruise or a newer description of the tour once on the ship. Sometimes things change and tours change or are canceled in the year since they were put out. That is life! As a disabled traveler now, I do think your expectations unrealistic especially in this current service poor travel sector.

The price we pay to sail with Regent involves so much more the free tours…..it is whole  cruise experience especially the wonderful crew and beautiful ships not to mention good food!. Fortunately we all have good choices, if one line doesn’t suit go with another.  

Edited by cwn
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gpilon said:

January 2024?

They booked in January 2024 for a cruise starting in May 2024. I think January was mentioned to highlight they are now into March without the questions being answered. Well not answered to their satisfaction.

I will be interested to see how good their descriptions are to match the actual excursion. For our upcoming Japan trip there are a few with only one walking man but when you read the description in full it seems to indicate there is a fair amount of walking. Some of the two walking men excursions on deeper reading actually state not suitable for people in wheelchairs or walking difficulties. I'm wondering how many people will not read in full and choose based solely on the 0ne or two man walking icon?

Edited by frantic36

It would so useful to everyone if the descriptions of the excursions that you finally get on the cruise, were the ones you see on the website.  

The website descriptions sound like AI wrote them and seem to rather vague in many cases.   

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

They booked in January 2024 for a cruise starting in May 2024. I think January was mentioned to highlight they are now into March without the questions being answered. Well not answered to their satisfaction.

I will be interested to see how good their descriptions are to match the actual excursion. For our upcoming Japan trip there are a few with only one walking man but when you read the description in full it seems to indicate there is a fair amount of walking. Some of the two walking men excursions on deeper reading actually state not suitable for people in wheelchairs or walking difficulties. I'm wondering how many people will not read in full and choose based solely on the 0ne or two man walking icon?

If a person doesn’t read the full description including pull down boxes how is that Regent’s problem or fault. Why would Regent be expected to have someone in Miami or the UK to read the description to customer! The descriptions are usually fairly good. Including the time on the bus to get to the site which is a common complaint.People must read right over that sentence.

We love Japan but there is a lot of walking at the sites and lots of steps. Sometimes the bus must park far from the actual site. We love Japan and most of Asia but the last time we were there we used a private car or a taxi if we wanted more than a bus drive by.

The seated man is a tour best to the walking impaired…usually a bus tour or maybe a trolley are a boat ride. One man sometimes is easy on walking/standing and many times it is optional to get off the bus and says so. I can sometimes do the 2 man tours they involve a ATV or even a jeep if it is for two/vehicle. DH drives and helps me in and I stay put for the tour. We have done fun tours like that in Caribbean and Africa. Tasting/food tours are usually OK too. The problem with the tours is they can use all types of buses, vans and converted trucks depending on how 1st world the country/port is. Mostly only the bigger long distant buses have wheelchair storage room. Regent has to go with what is available in each port. Read the whole thing on the included tours on the Regent website/mailer including fine print on the back page at bottom. Tours are included in most ports but you are not guaranteed a tour for everyone in every port.

4 minutes ago, cwn said:

f a person doesn’t read the full description including pull down boxes how is that Regent’s problem or fault. Why would Regent be expected to have someone in Miami or the UK to read the description to customer! The descriptions are usually fairly good. Including the time on the bus to get to the site which is a common complaint.People must read right over that sentence.

I do agree with everything you say and it is why I read everything in full. I am just pointing out after many cruises I often encounter people who obviously haven't done so and they struggle. Which is why I commend the original poster for trying to do due diligence beforehand. I am surprised that Regent head office couldn't help them more but I am finding even with Seabourn it is getting harder to get direct answers.

First, there are very few excursions available to passengers who use wheelchairs.  Many ports have no excursions available to passengers who use wheelchairs.  Then there is the more troubling issue: you can sign up for an excursion that is apparently accessible to wheelchair users, only to discover, a day before arriving at the port, that it may not be.  This happened to us on our most recent Regent cruise: the day before we arrived on St. Thomas, we discovered that the excursion trolleys were extremely tall and did not have a step stool to climb into them: there was no way I would be able to climb in (nor was there space for my wheelchair, though that could be folded up and kept at the port under supervision of the excursion people).  It was a real let-down, as we had been looking forward to this panoramic tour of St. Thomas.  Had we known that, we might have made other arrangements from the get-go.

1 minute ago, frantic36 said:

I do agree with everything you say and it is why I read everything in full. I am just pointing out after many cruises I often encounter people who obviously haven't done so and they struggle. Which is why I commend the original poster for trying to do due diligence beforehand. I am surprised that Regent head office couldn't help them more but I am finding even with Seabourn it is getting harder to get direct answers.

We have a good TA that deals with the Regent home office if needed, but I find the on board DD can answer any questions I might have about a tour and my situation. At times they have even called the operator to check for me. More recently more tours have changed from the precruise information or been canceled all together once we boarded. Things are very unsettled right now….we need to all go with the flow more than ever.

We loved the little sister’s of years ago and the newer ships are very nice, but Regent really suits us especially the older ships.. 

We have visited your wonderful country for extended land trips twice and cruised there twice.  There are some of our best travel memories!!

• Like 2

frantic36:  Your Post #11--Tours in Japan. 

Following relates to our recent Explorer segment.  That was September-October 2023 Vancouver, B.C. via Alaska to Japan. 

Each, and every tour whether included, or at an additional cost, taken at several Japanese Ports contained specific details as to length, difficulty, and cautionary advisement as to whether recommended--or not--for those utilizing a wheelchair or walker.

Spouse and self booked, or did-not book, with Eyes Wide Open given my current limitations as to extended unaided walking or dealing with steep steps. 

No surprises. Participated in several tours preceding arrival at Tokyo.  The written descriptions furnished both BEFORE boarding; and FOLLOWING boarding at Vancouver turned out to be accurate as to degree of difficulty, if any.  And cautionary information as to those with mobility issues.  

Moving on to Tokyo.  We did the "included" 3-day add-on in early October following debarkation at Yokohama--then transport to Regent's Tokyo hotel.   

Itinerary provided in our packet for those tours detailed specific information for each stop.  The common thread was:  Bus would park on street-level.  It would be a steep, multi-step walk up to the Temple site.  (Most of the tours were to commemorative Temples.)  No access to Temple level via a moving walkway, elevator, tram, or whatever.  Full disclosure.  

Our Tour Guides were very tuned-in to passengers.  Particularly those who decided to remain on the bus--after viewing the many steps involved in climbing from street to Temple.  This should NOT have come as a surprise assuming they had read the tour's description. 

Apparently, it did come as a surprise to some.  So--the Guide advised those not wanting to climb the steps:  remain on the bus.  Although, that bus would be relocated to a different site in the interim to conform to Japanese protocols.

Japanese protocols as to remaining on a bus--for any reason--for an extended period of time relate to concerns regarding earthquakes.  Again, should not be a revelation, given recent history as to earthquakes in Japan. 

Bottom Line based on 20+years on Radisson/Regent ships:  Have never been surprised as to reality of a particular tour as to difficulty, length, or physical limitations while on that tour.  And, we have been on a bunch. 

Of course, YMMV. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Thanks for the added insight @GOARMY. I didn't realise about the Japanese protocols and precautions about the bus because of earthquakes. 

Thankfully at this point of time we are fully capable of climbing and walking a distance, though my husband has had a few minor back issues lately he is getting treatment for.

frantic36:

Glad to "lend a hand". 

cwn's narratives in earlier Posts spell it out in more detail.  Good advice to CCers as we confront the vagaries and realities of aging.  While still able to enjoy the other aspects of a Regent cruise.

No more marathons for me. 

So--back on Splendor this June.  And, willing while on a tour to stay on the bus, or get back to it, should geography and my right leg dictate.    

A brisk daily walk; and a lot of stretching.  Ladies pushing a perambulator often pass me by.  Ah!  Youth is waisted on the Young.   

GOARMY!

• Like 1

We had a gentleman on a couple of our shore excursions in September that had mobility issues. He never left the bus but still enjoyed himself and he was a joy to be around. He knew his limitations and was respectful of others. What an example he set for all of us. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

We had a gentleman on a couple of our shore excursions in September that had mobility issues. He never left the bus but still enjoyed himself and he was a joy to be around. He knew his limitations and was respectful of others. What an example he set for all of us. 

Given the opportunity, that's what I do.  In Antigua, DH and I had signed up for an excursion that had been billed as wheelchair accessible, and, much to our joy, it was.  There were a couple of steps onto the bus (DH helped me navigate those, and another passenger, a lovely gentleman whose wife also had mobility issues, was also quick to help me on and off).  The excursion guide put my wheelchair away.  I stayed on the bus at most stops. The very last stop was long but easy to traverse in the wheelchair -- DH was happy to do the honors.  It was the boatyard where yachts and sailboats are repaired.  I was so happy to be able to see that up close.  It was a lovely day and I hope my presence did not ruin anyone else's enjoyment.

We were in St. Thomas the day before.  And it was the afternoon before that that we found out from the excursions desk that the open air trolleys that would be taking us on our panoramic tour of St. Thomas would not be able to accommodate me.  I guess, when I read on the website that that particular excursion was suitable for wheelchair users, I misunderstood.  Or is it possible, just possible, that the information on the website did not match the information that was given to the excursion desk, which then had to advise passengers accordingly?

I appreciate many of your very kind sharing of your experiences while on, or your recitations of your diligent reading of their brochure’s descriptions of their many wonderful excursions.  

I may not have articulated my angst properly and, therefore add this clarification.

It is the land-based Regent personnel responsible for excursions, and their parent corporate entity’s apparent decision to consolidate that department, that has diluted their ability to provide individual responsiveness to their luxury division’s passengers.  In total, Norwegian Holdings, Inc. operates over 33 ships: Regent - 7; Oceania - 8 and Norwegian - 19.  Their utter lack of responsiveness to my inquiries - no return calls, nor response to multiple e-mails, inabilities to reach supervisory personnel are inexcusable.  Rest assured, I have no problem minimizing my land-based adventures due to my disabilities, and thoroughly enjoy maximizing my time sharing the total experience with my fellow passengers. 

I do not need to compare RSSC’s administrative protocols with other luxury lines we have sailed with, although I can.  Standing alone, their on-land customer service is lip service at least, and willful disregard for passenger experience at best.

• Like 1

I appreciate many of your very kind sharing of your experiences while on, or your recitations of your diligent reading of their brochure’s descriptions of their many wonderful excursions.  

I may not have articulated my angst properly and, therefore add this clarification.

It is the land-based Regent personnel responsible for excursions, and their parent corporate entity’s apparent decision to consolidate that department, that has diluted their ability to provide individual responsiveness to their luxury division’s passengers.  In total, Norwegian Holdings, Inc. operates over 33 ships: Regent - 7; Oceania - 8 and Norwegian - 19.  Their utter lack of responsiveness to my inquiries - no return calls, nor response to multiple e-mails, inabilities to reach supervisory personnel are inexcusable.  Rest assured, I have no problem minimizing my land-based adventures due to my disabilities, and thoroughly enjoy maximizing my time sharing the total experience with my fellow passengers. 

I do not need to compare RSSC’s administrative protocols with other luxury lines we have sailed with, although I can.  Standing alone, their on-land customer service is lip service at least, and willful disregard for passenger experience at best.

I understand and sympathize with your experience.  However, being new to Regent, and most likely this board, you are no doubt learning that almost any complaint or negative comment regarding Regent will be met by a posse of cheerleaders who will leap to defend Regent and attempt to turn the blame back onto the person making the complaint. 

Do you really expect for Regent to have land based staff in Miami (or NCL for that matter) who are able to help the thousands of passengers with the hundreds of tours Regent has available in ports on six continents that their six ships visit?

as pointed out above, they provide good descriptions (with an occasional  hiccups) in the pages of written material about the tours available on each cruise.

Also there is the ship’s staff once on board to offer more detailed help.

Hopefully you are using a good TA that is knowledgeable  about cruising that can help. After all Regent pays them a hefty commission to provide that service to you.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, hkparadise said:

Have you read the massive PDFs available for download, detailing the excursions on each cruise? The one for our 12-day cruise in the Mediterranean is 50 pages long and provides guidance for how accessible each excursion is. Some are extremely detailed, to wit:

"This tour includes approximately 30 minutes of moderate walking and 1 hour of standing. There will be 4 steps to enter/exit the motor coach. Guests will have to manage 6 steps as well as paved, ground surfaces throughout the excursion. The tour is not available to wheelchair guests and may not be suitable for those with mobility concerns who are cautioned to carefully evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability."

I would think you'd be able to find whatever you need to know in the PDF for your own cruise. If you still have doubts, then I would guess there's a good chance that the excursion is not for you.

• Like 2