Specific Questions - Symphony - Athens to Rome

RLK33853

Good Morning. 

As we get closer to our April 25th Athens to Rome cruise on the Symphony, we have some specific questions, especially regarding Crystal and the ports they use.  We are doing 3 cruises btbtb - this Crystal one, then one on Silversea, then one on Viking.  Our idea is to compare these 3, as well as other lines so that we can find a new "home" for cruising.  That said, some of the ports overlap, and with Silversea including excursions, we are looking at just wandering for most of the Crystal ports (which  is what we normally do anyways - go for a long walk, find a cafe, have a glass of wine/beer, and people watch).  Walking distances is not an issue for us as we are both runners). 

We are familiar with a number of the ports on this cruise, but the following are new to us.

1.  What is Crystal's normal embarkation time in Athens?

2.  We've never been to Izmir - is it walkable from the port?

3.  We've never been to Bodrum - is it walkable from the port?

4.  We've never been to Rhodes - is it walkable from the port?

5.  We've never been to Chania  - is it walkable from the port?

6.  We've never been to Valetta - is it walkable from the port?

Any other suggestions or hints would be appreciated.  We usually don't do museums or art galleries - more into the local culture, old architecture, and scenery.

Thank you in advance.

Ray and Ann

i have been to all five ports.  Took a provided shuttle into Bodrum

All other ports are easily walkable.  In Valetta you can walk to the elevator which takes you up to the main area of town or you can do steps.

Also do not miss the Baroque church with the Caravaggio paintings in Valetta.

Rhodes I lobed just wandering as I did in the other ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Good Morning. 

As we get closer to our April 25th Athens to Rome cruise on the Symphony, we have some specific questions, especially regarding Crystal and the ports they use.  We are doing 3 cruises btbtb - this Crystal one, then one on Silversea, then one on Viking.  Our idea is to compare these 3, as well as other lines so that we can find a new "home" for cruising.  That said, some of the ports overlap, and with Silversea including excursions, we are looking at just wandering for most of the Crystal ports (which  is what we normally do anyways - go for a long walk, find a cafe, have a glass of wine/beer, and people watch).  Walking distances is not an issue for us as we are both runners). 

We are familiar with a number of the ports on this cruise, but the following are new to us.

1.  What is Crystal's normal embarkation time in Athens?

2.  We've never been to Izmir - is it walkable from the port?

3.  We've never been to Bodrum - is it walkable from the port?

4.  We've never been to Rhodes - is it walkable from the port?

5.  We've never been to Chania  - is it walkable from the port?

6.  We've never been to Valetta - is it walkable from the port?

Any other suggestions or hints would be appreciated.  We usually don't do museums or art galleries - more into the local culture, old architecture, and scenery.

Thank you in advance.

Ray and Ann

Roy and Ann

1.  Similar to other ports. Probably Noon..

4.  Rhodes.  Walkable.   Great walking area.

Keith 

• Thanks 1

I just recently researched Valletta for a return visit.  I've been there once before and remembered we caught a local bus on the street by the ship which made a nice ride around the city.  We then got off and wandered all over - wonderful sights/views.  The line is 133 and runs every 30 minutes.  Don't remember the cost, but I think you have to exact euros. Valletta is one of my favorite ports.  Have fun . . . . 

• Thanks 1