Formal nights?

1 minute ago, sunchaser49 said:

We will be on the Statendam this March 17-31….. is there any way of knowing which nights will be formal/gala nights in the main dining room? 
Thank you!

If your first full day is a sea day (not embarkation day), it will be a Dressy night.  the second last night of the cruise is usually a Dressy night IF it’s a sea day.

If there’s a sea day in between or a short port day, the odds are it will be the other Dressy night.  Formal night is gone. they re now Dressy nights.  You can dress up as much as you do, but there is no need other than to dress nicely.

8 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

How many dressy nights would you say are on a 25-day sailing?

Probably 4, but it could be as many as 6. It depends on whether it is a straight 25 days or a voyage composed of multiple cruise segments. Your PCC or TA can look it up for you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

How many dressy nights would you say are on a 25-day sailing?

It depends very much on the captain/HD as well as the itinerary.  I’ve seen 5 and I’ve seen 6/7.

In the old days, the number of “formal” nights (which is what they were back then) were on your documents.  It wasn’t unusual to board and find the number had been cut back.

Remember, there is nothing wrong with repeating a dressy outfit.  You don’t need to pack one for every night 😉. If you happen to be on a Collectors cruise (where people can be on for 14 or 11 days - I picked that number out of the air), a lot will get off on the first turnaround day and a new group on.

I normally a pack a minimal amount for any length of cruise.  A bit of mix and match and change it with a scarf, jewelry, etc. You can dress nicely for dressy night without being burdened down with too much/too heavy luggage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

You can see the number of dressy nights 2 to 3 weeks out in the Navigator app. Getting on Zaandam in 28 days...can see ours.

You'll be shocked to hear this, but the Navigator app does not always accurately show dressy nights. We have an upcoming 9 day Southern at the end of the month. I know it has 2 dressy nights. The app has Smart Casual listed every single day.

The website shows two April 2nds and no April 1st. You might think it's an April fool's joke, but having used the website before, I know better

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You'll be shocked to hear this, but the Navigator app does not always accurately show dressy nights. We have an upcoming 9 day Southern at the end of the month. I know it has 2 dressy nights. The app has Smart Casual listed every single day.

The website shows two April 2nds and no April 1st. You might think it's an April fool's joke, but having used the website before, I know better

FYI - on the 3/8 sailing and the app updated recently.  The 2 dressy nights are 1st and 3rd sea day for us.  We have 2 sea days, 3 port days, 2 sea days, 1 port day (HMC) then go home.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That just means they haven't loaded the dressy nights in yet. That is how the Navigator app used to show all cruises up to a couple days prior to sailing. Seems it has changed. Ours didn't show any info until a couple days ago.

• Thanks 1

Save on luggage and easily repeat outfits with mix/match and switching up accessories!  Honestly, I can pack one simple black dress that works for several nights by changing it up with jewelry, scarfs or light weight sweater. (maybe not consecutive nights). Add nude and black stockings and a pair of black shoes. Also use the sweater with any mix/match and even at daytime.

Daywear can be almost as easy.

I have found that folks rarely notice, or care, if you repeat clothes.  Just stay neat and clean. 😉

Do people really get dressed up these days, many cruise lines now tend to allow a very informal dress code for all meals with shorts common on every occasion? We went on a NCL cruise and nearly every American male had shorts on with the obligatory baseball cap on backwards at dinner, at the bar , at the shows etc!

3 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Do people really get dressed up these days, many cruise lines now tend to allow a very informal dress code for all meals with shorts common on every occasion? We went on a NCL cruise and nearly every American male had shorts on with the obligatory baseball cap on backwards at dinner, at the bar , at the shows etc!

Nope.  Don't feel any pressure to get dressed up.

2 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Do people really get dressed up these days, many cruise lines now tend to allow a very informal dress code for all meals with shorts common on every occasion?

Actually, HAL will usually deny you entrance to the MDR at dinner time if you wear shorts or torn jeans, but you can go in with nice jeans. Majority of men at dinner time wear either basic slacks or nice jeans with a collared shirt (Hawaiian shirts work, or a polo shirt). Formal wear on dressy nights is seen but not worn by many, again basic slacks and a collared shirt seem to be most popular. Or just eat at the Lido.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

That's because it's NCL... HAL does not allow shorts in the MDR at dinner (after embarkation day), thank goodness.  As for backward ball caps?  If guys only knew how INCREDIBLY STUPID they look wearing them, they might think twice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I found when Holland posts its itinerary on the app, providing it is correct, it will show Dressy Night Photos 5:00-10:00 for certain evenings. That’s what I figured out when dressy nights were because the app shows only smart casual for every day.

18 hours ago, julia said:

That's because it's NCL... HAL does not allow shorts in the MDR at dinner (after embarkation day), thank goodness.  As for backward ball caps?  If guys only knew how INCREDIBLY STUPID they look wearing them, they might think twice.

Only if the Maitre'd enforces the no shorts when people enter the MDR, on the Koningsdam last November I saw shorts in the MDR every night including dressy nights.