Buyer Beware - Shore Excursions

Should have flown out Saturday to join Arvia in Barbados. Due to my partner being hospitalised we have sadly had to cancel cruise. Been trying to cancel £1000 worth of shore excursions since previous Wednesday on their website but unable to so as the facility was not available so close to the cruise - conveniently for P&O. Contacted P&O and been told that as we are cancelling cruise and it is within 48 hours we cannot claim the shore excursions back - yet had we gone ahead with cruise we would be able to cancel them on board! Had my partner been taken ill last week we could have cancelled within their timeframe - absolutely crackers! We have holiday insurance so will claim it elsewhere but buyer beware! This has taught me for all future cruises not to buy any packages be it shore excursions, drinks or restaurant deals beforehand. Sadly, this policy has left a nasty taste and I will never book a cruise with this company again.

Sorry your partner got ill, I hope they recover quickly. Fortunately you have travel insurance, but many lines would allow one to cancel all prepaid amenities this close to the cruise. Purchasers should definitely know the terms and conditions of their booking.

2 hours ago, Waterbuffalo55 said:

Should have flown out Saturday to join Arvia in Barbados. Due to my partner being hospitalised we have sadly had to cancel cruise. Been trying to cancel £1000 worth of shore excursions since previous Wednesday on their website but unable to so as the facility was not available so close to the cruise - conveniently for P&O. Contacted P&O and been told that as we are cancelling cruise and it is within 48 hours we cannot claim the shore excursions back - yet had we gone ahead with cruise we would be able to cancel them on board! Had my partner been taken ill last week we could have cancelled within their timeframe - absolutely crackers! We have holiday insurance so will claim it elsewhere but buyer beware! This has taught me for all future cruises not to buy any packages be it shore excursions, drinks or restaurant deals beforehand. Sadly, this policy has left a nasty taste and I will never book a cruise with this company again.

I am very sorry for your partner's health and hope that they are well soon.

This is why there is cancelation insurance.

There are often too many "conditions" in the fine print of the passenger contract that are not read in advance by most of us, and likely these conditions are listed in your contract.

We recently cancelled a trip and some was refunded by the tour company and some came from the insurance company.  

As long as you get it all back, I don't see how it matters if it comes from the cruise line or the insurance company.

Sorry for the frustration and hope your partner recovers quickly.  It is important to understand the terms and conditions associated with advanced purchases such as excursions.

I realize this doesn't help the situation now, but for future reference, unfortunately the 48 hour cancelation window is common amongst a number of cruise lines as it relates to closing transactions related to that itinerary prior to departure.  There also typically are on board restrictions regarding cancelations that may result in an OBC versus a refund.  It varies by cruise line, which is why it is good to understand this at the time of purchase.

As mentioned, the more important issue is with your partners health and I hope they recover fully and quickly.

• Like 1

Also a word of caution on insurance cover for cancelled shore excursions: most policies have a limit on how much cover they offer for these.  It can be quite generous - Staysure top policy offers £1,000 for instance - but with some trips costing well in excess of £150pp nowadays it makes sense to consider this when booking before departure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waterbuffalo55 said:

I hope your partner recovers very soon and is soon back in good health.

So sorry your partner is unwell and you had to miss the cruise. I hope they recover soon.

I understand your frustration about being unable to cancel the pre-booked excursions - especially when you know P&O will probably not be out of pocket due to having the opportunity to re-sell them. It seems wrong that if you were onboard you would be able to cancel with 48 hours notice, less a small cancellation fee, but cannot do so from home. I hope you can get funds back through Travel Insurance.