Crew members killed for first time in Houthi attack on commercial ship in Red Sea, US officials say

clo

This was an article from CNN. Not being funny - at all - but good is everyone's aim here? Are there any cruise ships back in the area?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Highly unlikely.

Vanishingly unlikely. No cruise line is going to send crew, passengers, or ships into harms’s way. 

Edited by lisiamc

15 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

Vanishingly unlikely. No cruise line is going to send crew, passengers, or ships into harms’s way. 

I wonder/suspect that it's going to be a long, long time. Decades? Or ever if the 'war' needs to end?

There has been previous discussion on various CC boards on this. As far as I know, all cruise ships on world cruises at present have rerouted via the Cape of Good Hope. There is no way they would take the risk of the Red Sea.  And that is very sad for the region and for we fortunate world travellers. On our RWC, I went to Petra from Aquaba, absolutely one of the wonders of the world, and currently not possible to visit. 

6 hours ago, sleepingcat said:

There has been previous discussion on various CC boards on this. As far as I know, all cruise ships on world cruises at present have rerouted via the Cape of Good Hope. There is no way they would take the risk of the Red Sea.  And that is very sad for the region and for we fortunate world travellers. On our RWC, I went to Petra from Aquaba, absolutely one of the wonders of the world, and currently not possible to visit. 

And considering all the parties involved, I anticipate it lasting for a long,long time. Decades?

Not a particularly nice trip for the officers and crew of the Merchant Ships that do have to transit that area. I once did a Suez Canal Transit on a fully laden oil tanker ... 50,000 tons of oil ... whilst the Egyptian and Israeli chaps were sniping at each other ... one stray bullet, one spark,  and who knows what could have happened? 

6 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

one stray bullet

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Not just a stray bullet but it seems like these folks may not be the best shots. So, yeah, keep the cruise ships out of there.

And please educate me. Do the merchant ships have to go through that area? Thanks.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Not just a stray bullet but it seems like these folks may not be the best shots. So, yeah, keep the cruise ships out of there.

And please educate me. Do the merchant ships have to go through that area? Thanks.

They don't 'have to' of course .... but if they want the Suez Canal then yes ...

The incident I mentioned .. on a six month trip we went UK to the Gulf, then four round trips Gulf to Italy and a half trip back to Italy when Ieft.

When the canal was closed it worked out at roughly at a month each way .. Gulf to Italy to Gulf.

Big difference in money / time.

7 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

They don't 'have to' of course .... but if they want the Suez Canal then yes ...

The incident I mentioned .. on a six month trip we went UK to the Gulf, then four round trips Gulf to Italy and a half trip back to Italy when Ieft.

When the canal was closed it worked out at roughly at a month each way .. Gulf to Italy to Gulf.

Big difference in money / time.

Thanks. Great example that explains it.

35 minutes ago, clo said:

To give an example.  For a trip from the UAE to Cadiz, Spain, is 4685 nm via the Suez Canal, and 9811 nm via Cape of Good Hope, or over twice the miles.  At a normal cruising speed these days for container ships of 12 knots, that also doubles the transit time from 17 days to 34 days.  Add the extra fuel burned by the ship to get there, the extra days factored into the freight cost, and the extra inventory cost to the receiver to make up for the extra days, and you raise the cost of all the products carried by a good margin.

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

To give an example.  For a trip from the UAE to Cadiz, Spain, is 4685 nm via the Suez Canal, and 9811 nm via Cape of Good Hope, or over twice the miles.  At a normal cruising speed these days for container ships of 12 knots, that also doubles the transit time from 17 days to 34 days.  Add the extra fuel burned by the ship to get there, the extra days factored into the freight cost, and the extra inventory cost to the receiver to make up for the extra days, and you raise the cost of all the products carried by a good margin.

Thanks for all the steps. And I'm a strong suporter of why prices have to go up sometimes and this is a perfect example.

I lied ... it was just under six months ... I forgot the time in drydock🙄 so when you factor in the long haul around the Cape, it all adds up. In those five and a half months we managed ....

From

To

Falmouth (Drydock)

Port Said

Suez Canal

Southbound Transit

Suez

Mina Al Ahmadi

Mina Al Ahmadi

Suez

Suez Canal

Northbound Transit

Port Said

Puerto Foxi, Sardinia

Puerto Foxi, Sardinia

Port Said

Suez Canal

Southbound Transit

Suez

Mina Al Ahmadi

Mina Al Ahmadi

Suez

Suez Canal

Northbound Transit

Port Said

La Spezia

La Spezia

Port Said

Suez Canal

Southbound Transit

Suez

Mina Al Ahmadi

Mina Al Ahmadi

Suez

Suez Canal

Northbound Transit

Port Said

La Spezia

La Spezia

Port Said

Suez Canal

Southbound Transit

Suez

Das Island

Das Island

Jebel Dhanna

Jebel Dhanna

Suez

Suez Canal

Northbound Transit

Port Said

Genoa

Genoa

Port Said

Suez Canal

Southbound Transit

Suez

Das Island

Das Island

Jebel Dhanna

Jebel Dhanna

Suez

Suez Canal

Northbound Transit

Port Said

Genoa

Suez Canal Transits

Total Mileage

17 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I lied ... it was just under six months ... I forgot the time in drydock🙄 so when you factor in the long haul around the Cape, it all adds up. In those five and a half months we managed ....

From

To

Falmouth (Drydock)

Port Said

Suez Canal

Southbound Transit

Suez

Mina Al Ahmadi

Mina Al Ahmadi

Suez

Suez Canal

Northbound Transit