Cruise First vs Cruise Next

I am trying to understand the difference between these two programs. From my understanding Cruise first you can buy for say $250 and you get $500 towards your next cruise. Does Cruise Next work the same way? It sounds like you get onboard credit with a Cruise Next purchase but is it still pay $250 for $500 towards your next cruise or is it just face value?

32 minutes ago, zqvol said:

There is a lengthy discussion on this topic within the past week. Please use search for all of your answers 

I did a search but did not find the answer. My apologies.

3 hours ago, WITraveler37 said:

I am trying to understand the difference between these two programs. From my understanding Cruise first you can buy for say $250 and you get $500 towards your next cruise. Does Cruise Next work the same way? It sounds like you get onboard credit with a Cruise Next purchase but is it still pay $250 for $500 towards your next cruise or is it just face value?

cruise next are pay $125 for $250, and this only if you buy 2 or more.  If you just buy one, it's pay $150 for $250.  the cruise first $250/$500 are not always offered.  the default amount is pay $150 for $300.  they do offer the $250/$500 pretty often though

53 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:
4 hours ago, WITraveler37 said:

cruise next are pay $125 for $250, and this only if you buy 2 or more.  If you just buy one, it's pay $150 for $250.  the cruise first $250/$500 are not always offered.  the default amount is pay $150 for $300.  they do offer the $250/$500 pretty often though

And the cruise next also comes with OBC? Or is that something else?

2 minutes ago, WITraveler37 said:

And the cruise next also comes with OBC? Or is that something else?

it's best to just ignore the OBC.  You get charged $250 for a cruise next.  They then "give" you $125 in OBC which makes the net cost of the cruise next $125.  So the OBC just goes against the cert.  The game they are playing is making you think you have OBC to spend and you go buy things thinking that.

7 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

it's best to just ignore the OBC.  You get charged $250 for a cruise next.  They then "give" you $125 in OBC which makes the net cost of the cruise next $125.  So the OBC just goes against the cert.  The game they are playing is making you think you have OBC to spend and you go buy things thinking that.

I can't figure out what this means

Is this how it works:

Pay $250 for 2x CN's so you have $500 for next cruise.

They give you $125 OBC.

Does that mean that the $500 in CN certificates are now only worth $375 bc they took the OBC from the CN's? I don't think it means this

Or does it mean that I still have $500 in CN certs AND I get $125 OBC, all for my original $250?

Or does it mean that my onboard account had the $250 docked for the CN's, but the OBC of $125 is applied to the $250, so I'll only be out of pocket $125 for CNs worth $500 off my next cruise. Because that sounds really good to me and not like a rip-off or trick 

I've also searched but unable to find an answer that I understand bc most responses are piecemeal, answering narrow individual questions, but don't lay out the basic math

Posted (edited)

Here we go again....

You buy two CN for $500 ($250 each).  They immediately both charge your on-board account $500 and credit it with $250, which by policy goes first to paydown that $500 you just spent.

Forget the noise.  You spent $250 and will walk off the ship with two, $250 CN certs to apply to a future cruise.  Your only mistake will be asking the CN rep how this works.  That's where the confusion begins.

ETA: before anybody jumps in, yes I realize that you don't walk off the ship with CNs.  They are credited to your account in about 24 hours.

Edited by EngrJones
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

Here we go again....

You buy two CN for $500 ($250 each).  They immediately both charge your on-board account $500 and credit it with $250, which by policy goes first to paydown that $500 you just spent.

Forget the noise.  You spent $250 and will walk off the ship with two, $250 CN certs to apply to a future cruise.  Your only mistake will be asking the CN rep how this works.  That's where the confusion begins.

ETA: before anybody jumps in, yes I realize that you don't walk off the ship with CNs.  They are credited to your account in about 24 hours.

Actually, the last time I bought one of these, I did walk off the ship with the CN's and kept them in my strongbox. Heh

Just to clarify, since I haven’t cruised in 4 yrs on NCl, I plan to buy 2 CN certs for $500.  I thought the OBC of $250 from the purchase wouldn’t go to offset the purchase.  Was planning to spend it on shore x’s, if I was forced to spend it, since it’s non refundable.  Thx

7 hours ago, tokidoki said:

Just to clarify, since I haven’t cruised in 4 yrs on NCl, I plan to buy 2 CN certs for $500.  I thought the OBC of $250 from the purchase wouldn’t go to offset the purchase.  Was planning to spend it on shore x’s, if I was forced to spend it, since it’s non refundable.  Thx

A distinction without a difference.

image.jpeg.c34017480345f18a03b06edc15d01adb.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Thank you! I thought I was losing my marbles because I couldn't figure out what fig of a difference it would make where the OBC is applied - all costs and spending go into the same bucket and all credits and payments apply to the same bucket. I couldn't fathom what possible difference the specific contents of the bucket could make. Thought I was missing something but wasn't

My confusion is with how the OBC is distributed to.  If it doesn’t count against the CN, then I have to use it on trips. I would rather pre buy trips if it’s used against the $500

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

My confusion is with how the OBC is distributed to.  If it doesn’t count against the CN, then I have to use it on trips. I would rather pre buy trips if it’s used against the $500

If you're still confused, it's not because of this thread.  At least three different people have given the exact same answer.  I doubt we can make it any more clear.

Edited by EngrJones
  • Like 1

actually, it does make a difference where and how you spend your OBC.

excursions are high margin items that don't reflect the true vale provided. liquor and cosmetics are closer to actual retail prices, but don't compare favorably to most real duty free ships in airports. spa services and food purchased on board also have healthy margins tacked on. that is precisely why NCL would prefer you go around shopping onboard and buying services you don't necessarily want or need once you are awarded OBC for your cruise next purchase.

if you know you're going to be buying a bottle of liquor or a pizza at la cucina or getting a massage or booking an NCL excursion... and you are truly committed to doing those things, then, no, it doesn't matter where you spend your OBC.

but the better value for most people is not to spend the OBC at all and have the true cash value applied to the cost of the cruise next certificates they just purchased. the OBC you receive is nonrefundable, but can be used to purchase cruise next certificates, including the ones for which you just received the OBC. that's what this special OBC distribution is... it is essentially a discount on your cruise next purchase. in fact, that nonrefundable OBC will be applied to cruise next purchases before other onboard purchases in your folio.

43 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

If you're still confused, it's not because of this thread.  At least three different people have given the exact same answer.  I doubt we can make it any more clear.

Okay, I'll give it a try anyway.

You buy the 2 certificates, face value $250, for $250 each.

NCL immediately credits your ship's account for half that amount, or $125 each, $250 for two.

Your only concern to get the maximum value is to spend at least $250 during the cruise.

You may spend it on whatever you like.

But the key here is that even if you spent not another dime, the $250 credit will go against the $500 you paid for the certs. In other words, you already used that OBC up to cover 1/2 of the cost of those certs.

If you spend more for excursions drinks, whatever, you will owe more for those at the end of the cruise for those additional items.

Bottom line - you get the certs. at 1/2 price instantly on your account.

By them calling it "OBC" is a distraction - it makes you think you need to use it up when in reality it is already used.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

This is why I advise people to just not even think about the OBC given.  It's monopoly money and makes no difference to your bill as long as it's things you're buying anyway.  the problem is when folks think they have OBC to spend, so they go out and buy something they otherwise wouldn't because they think they are leaving OBC behind.

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

actually, it does make a difference where and how you spend your OBC.

excursions are high margin items that don't reflect the true vale provided. liquor and cosmetics are closer to actual retail prices, but don't compare favorably to most real duty free ships in airports. spa services and food purchased on board also have healthy margins tacked on. that is precisely why NCL would prefer you go around shopping onboard and buying services you don't necessarily want or need once you are awarded OBC for your cruise next purchase.

if you know you're going to be buying a bottle of liquor or a pizza at la cucina or getting a massage or booking an NCL excursion... and you are truly committed to doing those things, then, no, it doesn't matter where you spend your OBC.

but the better value for most people is not to spend the OBC at all and have the true cash value applied to the cost of the cruise next certificates they just purchased. the OBC you receive is nonrefundable, but can be used to purchase cruise next certificates, including the ones for which you just received the OBC. that's what this special OBC distribution is... it is essentially a discount on your cruise next purchase. in fact, that nonrefundable OBC will be applied to cruise next purchases before other onboard purchases in your folio.

Now that is confusing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:51 PM, WITraveler37 said:

The names explain it all.  Cruise FIRST  is for your FIRST crusie.  Cuise NEXT is for subsequent cruises.

I just want to point out usually you can't use 2 CN certificates for a single trip , you have to wait promo that allows 2 CN certs being applied -- not sure how often it is   

25 minutes ago, news70 said:

I just want to point out usually you can't use 2 CN certificates for a single trip , you have to wait promo that allows 2 CN certs being applied -- not sure how often it is   

DoubleUp for a balcony or above has been pretty consistent, at least since the restart. DoubleUp for any cabin has been fairly frequent lately but only runs for a couple of weeks at a time, then new terms are applied. So usually no wait, if booking balcony or above.