Carnival Excursion - Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

Looking for feedback from other Carnival Alaska cruisers who've done the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion. I had initially thought when I booked the cruise that everyone would just stay on the ship for the Tracy Arm Fjord portion of the cruise and see the sights from the cruiseship. But then I saw this excursion listed! It sounds amazing...especially the wildlife sightings! If you've taken this excursion, I would love to hear how your experience was! We will have our 10-year-old with us. Is this going to keep her interest as well? 

Thank you! 

Posted (edited)

So when we went 7 years ago, or 8 now, getting into Tracy Arm was difficult. I would say over the course of several years before and after us, hardly any ships got into Tracy Arm because of the ice jams. We went into Endicott Arm and saw Dawes glacier instead. And it was amazing! The cruise ship follows behind slowly. We got onto our small ferry boat and got super close. The glacier was caving the entire time, so it even rocked our small ferry boat. It was just awesome! You can see in the pictures how far back the cruise ship stayed and what it looks like from back on board. Oh, and the cute seal that popped up right next to us. We also saw some bears along the shore, up in beautiful waterfalls. I would absolutely recommend it, no matter which arm you end up in!

13668799_10209977032253172_782242460274495512_o.jpg

This what it looks like from the cruise ship, it doesn't get much closer than this. Basically, we took our ferry boat back to the ship, got back on the cruise ship, and another group got on and went up close. So there were 2 excursion times, we did the first one. Then the cruise ship slowly left out, and the ferry boat caught up when they were done.

13913592_10209977040973390_1328368473402975914_o.jpg

This was awesome to see!

13913992_10209977038413326_327962056281040443_o.jpg

The cruise ship from the ferry boat, it never got any closer and I'm sure I'm zoomed in.

13920060_10209977025653007_1121207434482103373_o.jpg

More of the caving.

13923561_10209977035373250_7471596086095440871_o.jpg

Edited by kctwinmommy
  • Like 2

Thanks to you both! I’ll be buying some discounted Carnival gift cards today and booking this ASAP! 

All of those pictures are amazing! 

• Like 3

Highly recommend!  We did this excursion 2 years ago on the Spirit, and have it booked again for our cruise this summer.  You will see the glacier off in the distance from the ship, but this excursion gets you much closer!  Lots of seals around the base of the glacier, fantastic experience with glacier calving. Gorgeous views of waterfalls.  We also saw mountain goats, and got up close and personal with humpbacks (better than our whale watching excursion!) on our excursion.

We did this tour (wow - was it really 2014?) Absolutely a great tour - we've said that if we go back to Alaska, we'll do it again. Our sons were 14 and 18, and they had a great time. I think they'd do it again as well.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

Looking for feedback from other Carnival Alaska cruisers who've done the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion. I had initially thought when I booked the cruise that everyone would just stay on the ship for the Tracy Arm Fjord portion of the cruise and see the sights from the cruiseship. But then I saw this excursion listed! It sounds amazing...especially the wildlife sightings! If you've taken this excursion, I would love to hear how your experience was! We will have our 10-year-old with us. Is this going to keep her interest as well? 

Thank you! 

Saw a whale. Saw a black bear. The other boat saw seals on a piece of ice. I recommend it.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/tracy-arm-fjord-glacier-explorer/

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1