Private Car service vs Hotel Shuttle Port Everglades

I'm staying at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel pre cruise. This is my first time travelling with a party of 6 and that includes a wheel chair that can fold, a stroller, and you can imagin the luggage count. Can't reserve a shuttle time until you arrive at hotel. Are the hotel shuttles adequate or am I better off booking a private van ahead of time?

My experience is that the hotel shuttles become a free for all with 25 or 30 people all scrambling to get 20 seats on the van.

my opinion only, spend the extra money and schedule private transportation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with @klfrodo, but as a possible alternative you may want to consider Uber.  It may not be suitable to your preferences of a single vehicle as two would likely be required, but they do offer accessible vehicles in some markets and as big of a market that area is may have vehicles available.  From a cost alternative it may be a viable alternative.  Maybe not your first preference but just a thought.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I’ll offer a different opinion.  From the Renaissance:  It was a bit difficult to get an Uber.  When one did finally arrive, he told us that he almost cancelled because it was such a hassle to get into the cruise port.  Uber/Lyft are required to have a special cruise port pass on their vehicle or they can’t get in.  Then they have to line up with the rest of the taxis, cars, and Ubers to go through the kiosks.  There, they want to see your passports and boarding passes before they’ll let you in.  Make sure they are on your person and not in the trunk of the vehicle.

Another time, from the Renaissance, we were waiting for a taxi when the porter suggested the shuttle, instead, as it was getting ready to leave.  There was a dedicated lane at the port for shuttle busses only.  We breezed right through with no lines and no checking of passports and boarding passes.  The driver said it was because the port expects the shuttle driver to verify we are legitimate passengers, freeing up the port agent to wave us through and keep the line moving.

I’ve also driven in by car a few times.  It takes time.  I would take the shuttle.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

My experience is that the hotel shuttles become a free for all with 25 or 30 people all scrambling to get 20 seats on the van.

my opinion only, spend the extra money and schedule private transportation.

On all the hotel shuttles I have taken to PEV (and, anywhere, really), there is a sign-up sheet with assigned time slots.  Once a time slot is full, they move on to the next time slot.  You cannot board a shuttle out of turn because they have your name and room # to verify against.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1