Sun Princess

52 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Has anyone, sailing September 2025 or later on the SUN Princess, been able to book MDR or Specialty dining?

I thought we were supposed to be able to book dining reservations beginning 7/1. There have been different experiences amongst different CC members, and it may depend on the ship. But I'm interest in the Sun only.

We're sailing Sept 2025 and are platinum. No luck booking any type of dining. It says no dining times are available.

We have reservations on the Sun in October 2024 as well as in January of 2025.  We are still only Ruby, but we have paid off both cruises early.  For October, our choices are slim and we'll end up having to wait until we board to get what we want.  We want a two top at 540 which is easily scooter accessable.  For January we get a notation of nothing available yet.  I will assume that bookings have not yet opened for the Sun for 2025, even though there have been reports of other ships having availability in mid 2026.  Makes zero sense to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

We have reservations on the Sun in October 2024 as well as in January of 2025.  We are still only Ruby, but we have paid off both cruises early.  For October, our choices are slim and we'll end up having to wait until we board to get what we want.  We want a two top at 540 which is easily scooter accessable.  For January we get a notation of nothing available yet.  I will assume that bookings have not yet opened for the Sun for 2025, even though there have been reports of other ships having availability in mid 2026.  Makes zero sense to me.

I agree...there is no logic in what Princess is opening up for reservations. I'm hoping that the reason I can't book any dining for Sept 2025 is because it's not open. I may send an email to Customer Relations to inquire next week. I just don't want our dining times/venue options limited because they've been opened, but I just couldn't access them.

How far in advance did the October 2024 reservations open up?

Good luck to you for January 2025! If you remember, could you post back here to let me know when you're able to book for Jan 2025?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

I agree...there is no logic in what Princess is opening up for reservations. I'm hoping that the reason I can't book any dining for Sept 2025 is because it's not open. I may send an email to Customer Relations to inquire next week. I just don't want our dining times/venue options limited because they've been opened, but I just couldn't access them.

How far in advance did the October 2024 reservations open up?

Good luck to you for January 2025! If you remember, could you post back here to let me know when you're able to book for Jan 2025?

I have no idea how far in advance things opened up for October.  We paid our cruises off early a few weeks ago and I made an attempt to get what we wanted and it was available for a single day out of our 14 day sailing.  I then called into Princess to see if that would help at all and the guy I spoke to couldn't accommodate us.

As you probably know, the deck 6 venue is traditional, early & late.  The deck 7 venue is reserved every 20 minutes and the deck 8 venue is Americana Diner walk in.  

As soon as we can book our January sailings, I'll post back here.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cruisinbunny said:

I booked dining for our group for most nights in the MDR prior to 7/1. (I guess there was a small window of time before they shut this down until 7/1.) I booked Love By Britto on 7/2. We sail on the Sun on 11/30.

I received an email on 7/3 that said I was now able to book Love by Britto but even when I tried to book that, I wasn't able to.

Are you sailing on the Sun 11/30/2025?

6 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

I have no idea how far in advance things opened up for October.  We paid our cruises off early a few weeks ago and I made an attempt to get what we wanted and it was available for a single day out of our 14 day sailing.  I then called into Princess to see if that would help at all and the guy I spoke to couldn't accommodate us.

As you probably know, the deck 6 venue is traditional, early & late.  The deck 7 venue is reserved every 20 minutes and the deck 8 venue is Americana Diner walk in.  

Thanks for the summary of the floors. I would be okay with traditional or the reserved every 20 minutes (anything...at this point! LOL!). I will do the same and post when I'm able to reserve.

8 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Has anyone, sailing September 2025 or later on the SUN Princess, been able to book MDR or Specialty dining?

I thought we were supposed to be able to book dining reservations beginning 7/1. There have been different experiences amongst different CC members, and it may depend on the ship. But I'm interest in the Sun only.

We're sailing Sept 2025 and are platinum. No luck booking any type of dining. It says no dining times are available.

We are staying in a suite so I haven't looked at the MDR, but we have had all of our specialty dining meals booked for our Thanksgiving cruise for quite a while. 

I would give Princess a call.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I can eat everything but ... DW has celiac so yes, I pay attention.

You're in luck, they do have a lot of gluten free items in the buffet and they're marked as GF. Can't say they have a specific section though.

Also, the IC has a very good selection of GF items as well. You can even get most of their sandwiches specially made for you with GF bread.

And, they've outsourced much of their GF bread products. Believe it or not, much better than what they've had in the past.

While on the Sun, we ran into a bunch of Princess corporate types from the culinary team. According to their shirts they were big-wigs. My wife (who is the shy and retiring type - LOL) made a comment that the GF products had been substandard. This fellow who spoke with a German accent almost seemed to take offense and stated that his SO had celiac and he had taken it upon himself to improve the GF products on Princess. Well, DW found that he was right. Much better. Even the GF dinner rolls in the MDR were more than tolerable.

Yay, this is such great news! Thank you very much!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

I received an email on 7/3 that said I was now able to book Love by Britto but even when I tried to book that, I wasn't able to.

Are you sailing on the Sun 11/30/2025?

Ugh, sorry. I missed the 2025 in your post. We sail this year. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

22 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Thanks for the summary of the floors. I would be okay with traditional or the reserved every 20 minutes (anything...at this point! LOL!). I will do the same and post when I'm able to reserve.

I was able to book our dining on the Sun Princess today. This is for a sailing in September 2025. 

I received an email from Princess saying that I could book Love by Britto (I got this same email on 7/3). While I had no luck reserving dining on 7/3, I decided to try again tonight since I received that email again. And whaddya know! I was able to book for all 7 nights (5 nights in the MDR on Deck 7 and 2 nights with Specialty dining).

44 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

I was able to book our dining on the Sun Princess today. This is for a sailing in September 2025. 

Thanks for the heads up.  Was able to get our preferred slots for all 14 nights.  Will adjust four of them on board once we upgrade to Premier and we make our specialty reservations that are included with the package.

I had checked earlier today about 6 hours ago and was still stonewalled, so sometime tonight the switch got flipped.

In October we become Platinum so then we should be able to reserve our 7 sailings between 4/25 and 2/26 on the Enchanted and the Star.

• Like 1

Thanks as well. When I tried to book (Deck 6 traditional late), I initially got a "something went wrong" message but despite that, it was booked. We're on a weird 42-night B2B2B2 bookings (paid standard guarantee followed by 2 premier assigned cabin that were the result of a moveover offer) that the app combined into one so I'm impressed it worked as well as it did.

Now to figure out the specialty dining. Since our original 21 night cruise was split into two 14 night cruises for the moveover offer, I think we get four (two on each of those 14 nights) but it looks like it want to charge us for them. Didn't go father than to see it say it wants money.

2 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Now to figure out the specialty dining. Since our original 21 night cruise was split into two 14 night cruises for the moveover offer, I think we get four (two on each of those 14 nights) but it looks like it want to charge us for them. Didn't go father than to see it say it wants money.

I have a similar issue. We are in a suite for the first time and my understanding is we should get a dinner in a specialty restaurant on the first night included. Now that the reservations are open for next year I tried but this wanting to charge me as well. I’m sure I could pay and get it refunded once onboard, but is there a better way?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

I have a similar issue. We are in a suite for the first time and my understanding is we should get a dinner in a specialty restaurant on the first night included. Now that the reservations are open for next year I tried but this wanting to charge me as well. I’m sure I could pay and get it refunded once onboard, but is there a better way?

Same question here...hopefully somebody can advise!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

We are going to have the suite concierge (located in the suite lounge) make the reservations for us after we board. 

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

We are going to have the suite concierge (located in the suite lounge) make the reservations for us after we board. 

I had considered that possibility and I know it has always worked for people n the past. But with the inclusion of two specialty dining meals in the Premier package I was concerned they won’t be able to hold back enough spaces for the suites on the first night. 

1 hour ago, FLAlaska said:

Looks like dining for January us open as well, but not for Spellbound 

We also were able to book specialty dining last night (not Spellbound or Love by Britto) for our Jan 25 cruise.

Ironically received a call from Princess this AM based on earlier e-mail regarding this.

I told her I was able to book but was surprised that I needed to input a CC to do so

even though we had two specialty meals included. She was aware of this (like everything they were working on it) and said we would receive OBC for the amount charged. Whoa I thought, we are supposed to get two dinners as part of Premiere package, the booking  dates are a complete  a mystery, and then when we book we are charged for it only to get a later OBC (which we really don't need). But she assured me that people like and used the OBC......

She said Spellbound would not be available to book until 90 days prior to cruise. She also said suite passengers and higher level loyalty will have first crack (really does not sound like the case). I told her I really had zero confidence in any of the info received from Princess and still don't understand why this process is so difficult. Good luck everyone.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

We also were able to book specialty dining last night (not Spellbound or Love by Britto) for our Jan 25 cruise.

Ironically received a call from Princess this AM based on earlier e-mail regarding this.

I told her I was able to book but was surprised that I needed to input a CC to do so

even though we had two specialty meals included. She was aware of this (like everything they were working on it) and said we would receive OBC for the amount charged. Whoa I thought, we are supposed to get two dinners as part of Premiere package, the booking  dates are a complete  a mystery, and then when we book we are charged for it only to get a later OBC (which we really don't need). But she assured me that people like and used the OBC......

She said Spellbound would not be available to book until 90 days prior to cruise. She also said suite passengers and higher level loyalty will have first crack (really does not sound like the case). I told her I really had zero confidence in any of the info received from Princess and still don't understand why this process is so difficult. Good luck everyone.

The OBC is refundable if you don't use it. It does work, needlessly, but it does work.

Edited by FLAlaska
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

I had considered that possibility and I know it has always worked for people n the past. But with the inclusion of two specialty dining meals in the Premier package I was concerned they won’t be able to hold back enough spaces for the suites on the first night. 

Since free specialty dining the first night is a suite benefit, I've always heard that they hold back reservations so I'm going to risk it. 

My experience last summer reserving on line specialty dining for our family of 8 (not as part of the premium package) and having to charge my credit card when I had more than enough OBC to cover the price and then get the credit card charge back out and the dinner charged to my OBC was a mess.  It took about 2 months and a couple of spreadsheets to get it all worked out. So now I'm spooked about paying in advance.

5 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

The OBC is refundable if you don't use it. It does work, needlessly, but it does work.

yeah - we've got $180 tied up for our 2 each specialty dinners with Premier.  We'll prolly use some of the OBC -  a t-shirt or something is calling her name I'm sure ...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I am not worried about it but the idea that you have a dining credit and they can't figure out how to make it work without charging you upfront does frustrate me. They have been allowing credits against dining and excursions for years but somehow with the Sun they can't figure it out?

59 minutes ago, lennythenose said:

Suite  benefit for first night specialty dining? This will be our first suite on Princess and I am not aware of this. Can anyone enlighten me. I don't remember seeing this perk when we booked.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

I can tell you we're farther than 90 days out and we have Spellbound booked (and we could book Love as well if we wanted to).

12 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Suite  benefit for first night specialty dining? This will be our first suite on Princess and I am not aware of this. Can anyone enlighten me. I don't remember seeing this perk when we booked.

Thanks in advance.

It's just what it sounds like - you get a free specialty dining on the first night (in addition to the 2 included with Premier).

16 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Thanks in advance.

This is the amenity list for our Penthouse Suite when we booked. I don't see it on the new Vista Suite list now 😕 Screenshot_20240709_135249_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6774e903d6a2386fbaf17561ec875161.jpg