New Embarkation Procedure?

Cinerama

I cruised in both December and January and on both (FLL and LA), that once you got inside, they called Elite to board.  Those lanes are for getting into the terminal.  

• Like 2

Technically, the article is misleading. What they are calling "Embarkation" is really the new Medallion check-in procedure, before actual boarding, and has been mentioned, is now many months old. The priority boarding, for Elites, suites etc, is still in operation in most ports, no change there. We used it in San Pedro for priority boarding the Discovery a few weeks ago.

• Like 4

Priority boarding yes once you are through your check in process via your assigned lane. There is no longer a Suite or Elite line at check in. The best way to ensure expedient boarding is to get in the Green Lane and have your medallions shipped so your check in process is easier and you pass through to boarding more quickly. 

• Like 2

Getting on the Emerald in FLL a couple of weeks ago we started to get in line outside the terminal and just as we did one of the employees motioned for us to come over to where he was and sent us down a much shorter line - he had noticed our elite medallions - there were no signs that I could see.  Once inside we went through security and they just kept leading us to the ship - I didn't see any "Green" or "Blue" signs or lines - we just walked right on the ship and to our cabin.  Getting off the ship was almost as easy - much better than what we've experienced in the past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The last time we border in Fl. they did have an Elite/Suite line formed outside the terminal but it merged once inside so it doesn't do much good anyway.

They do call for Elites/Suites/Handicapped to board first once boarding begins.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:29 PM, bjkTX said:

one of the employees motioned for us to come over to where he was and sent us down a much shorter line

You didn't happen to get his name or photograph, did you?  😉

Would like to be on lookout for this fellow.

• Like 1

Can you get priority boarding or be moved to the front of the boarding queue if you have knee / mobility issues? and do you need to inform Princess before you get to the cruise terminal?

My wife might be having a knee operation in September (yet to be confirmed) and although we don't cruise until 14 December she may have problems standing for long periods at a time.

if this is the case could we ask someone at the cruise terminal (Sydney Australia) if we can go to the front of the queue?

She may be fine by December, but I just thought I'd ask

31 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

Can you get priority boarding or be moved to the front of the boarding queue if you have knee / mobility issues? and do you need to inform Princess before you get to the cruise terminal?

My wife might be having a knee operation in September (yet to be confirmed) and although we don't cruise until 14 December she may have problems standing for long periods at a time.

if this is the case could we ask someone at the cruise terminal (Sydney Australia) if we can go to the front of the queue?

Just let them know.  I carry a folding cane I use for going down stairs or up or down ramps/escalators.  Just tell a port host and someone makes walking on board easier and safer.

The usually take me first at checkin and have me wait for boarding until the rush subsides.

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I'd suggest not show up too early in the morning and be waiting outside.  Also, look for and use the Gray Lane to check-in.

On 3/10/2024 at 6:42 AM, karatemom2 said:

Priority boarding yes once you are through your check in process via your assigned lane. There is no longer a Suite or Elite line at check in. The best way to ensure expedient boarding is to get in the Green Lane and have your medallions shipped so your check in process is easier and you pass through to boarding more quickly. 

Unfortunately some people can't get their medallions shipped. We are booked in a suite but are Australian so will never be in the green lane.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muffinz said:

Princess will make accommodations for your wife's mobility issue.  You may request a wheelchair when you arrive.  Keep in mind that there may be others waiting for the same assistance.

This was my experience at San Pedro (LA).  I was traveling with an older person who found it hard to stand, wait, walk.  

When we entered the building, I inquired about a wheel chair for her.  We were told to wait in some chairs for a wheel chair to become available.  We arrived around 11:30 AM.  Thee were already a list of about 5 passengers in front of us.  

4 wheel chairs/attendants appeared.  They were dismissed for lunch.  Even the port crew were surprised.  We were told it would be another hour before one would become available.  We decided to take the elevator upstairs and begin the check in process (Green/Elite can't remember if the "new" policy was in place).  I asked the check in person if she could find us a wheel chair.  Miraculously, she found us one to take us through security (port team).

Then we were asked to wait in a holding area for Princess Crew to push others on board.  I spoke to some passengers who were waiting for an hour. Boarding had already begun.  I asked my friend if she thought she could walk on to the ship if we took it slowly?  Even with my Elite status, we would still have had to wait our turn in the "gray" area.  I understood that...if we wanted assistance, we would have to be patient.

Boarding is by loyalty status.  It is not like the airport where those who need assistance board first.  Once boarding begins, everyone is able to walk on to the ship.  As others have mentioned, your wait time will be much less if you arrive later in the day or do not need assistance.