No refund for covid cancellation, terrible customer service

KimPossible1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am still really surprised to find out they still have a COVID cancelation policy on the books, though it sounds like they are not abiding by it. Every other major cruise line got rid of these policies something like 2 years ago and now leave it for passengers to take up with their insurance, just like any other injury/illness that would prevent sailing.

Agree, I don't know covid tests were still a thing.  Last time I was tested I needed it to cruise...haven't considered it since.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK, got it. I guess I was thinking that the day of embarkation counted as "within 5 days." I hadn't considered the possibility that "day of" meant "day 0." That stinks. If @KimPossible1's sister had tested positive just one day earlier, she would have been OK from the T&C perspective.

Yeah....one needs to read the T&C with a fine tooth comb.  That "Day 0" doesn't count is totally illogical......but it is what it is and insurance shouldn't deny her claim.

ETA...I also share @JamieLogical surprise that Covid is still "a thing"....although I have a neighbor on my floor that wears her N95 upon leaving the apt...always...even if she's just getting the mail!

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yeah....one needs to read the T&C with a fine tooth comb.  That "Day 0" doesn't count is totally illogical......but it is what it is and insurance shouldn't deny her claim.

You're exactly right. The FAQ's could be worded like "in order to receive compensation, you must inform MSC via telephone at xxx-xxx-xxxx with 5 days of embarkation, but no later than 1 day prior. Note that the day of embarkation is too late. And your request must be accompanied by written documentation." Something to that effect, in legalese.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am still really surprised to find out they still have a COVID cancelation policy on the books, though it sounds like they are not abiding by it. Every other major cruise line got rid of these policies something like 2 years ago and now leave it for passengers to take up with their insurance, just like any other injury/illness that would prevent sailing.

Other cruise lines do have Covid policies,  usually that if you test positive  as many as 14 days before sailing they will deny boarding with absolutely no FCC or re-booking. 

Basically they are policies to discourage people from reporting illness. 

Edited by Até

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

ETA...I also share @JamieLogical surprise that Covid is still "a thing"....although I have a neighbor on my floor that wears her N95 upon leaving the apt...always...even if she's just getting the mail!

I disagree with you because legally it does not specifically say that day 0 is embarkation.  It is a very grey area and that is your interpretation.  MSC did not confirm that I missed it by one day, so in essence you are spreading false information by insisting that embarkation is day 0.  Within 5 days of embarkation means the 5 days up till embarkation.  We could debate it all day, but instead of declaring with certainty you are right, maybe say that it is unclear what the actual wording really means, because that is what I am doing.  I am not getting any resolution from MSC so it is a mute point now.  

Edited by KimPossible1
clarity
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

COVID is definitely still a "thing" I know many people who have had COVID recently. And I took two COVID tests myself a couple of weeks ago when I came home from my MSC Divina sailing and was feeling ill. However, separate rules around COVID for cruising versus any other injury/disease were surprising to me, because I thought all cruise lines had done away with those long ago.

6 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

I disagree with you because legally it does not specifically say that day 0 is embarkation.  It is a very grey area and that is your interpretation.  MSC did not confirm that I missed it by one day, so in essence you are spreading false information by insisting that embarkation is day 0.  Within 5 days of embarkation means the 5 days up till embarkation.  We could debate it all day, but instead of declaring with certainty you are right, maybe say that it is unclear what the actual wording really means, because that is what I am doing.  I am not getting any resolution from MSC so it is a mute point now.  

Sorry KIm...but it is clear.  Five days prior means 5 days before day of embarkation.  It does not include the day of embarkation.  I did say that it was illogical...but it is clear.  You need the test before the day of embarkation.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but there's no debate here...you are not reading the T& C correctly.  Really...nothing to interpret. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Sorry KIm...but it is clear.  Five days prior means 5 days before day of embarkation.  It does not include the day of embarkation.  I did say that it was illogical...but it is clear.  You need the test before the day of embarkation.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but there's no debate here...you are not reading the T& C correctly.  Really...nothing to interpret. 

How can it be clear?

"We acknowledge that you followed the proper procedures and contacted us within the required timeframe due to your illness, and we appreciate your diligence in doing so"

Do you not see this as an acknowledgement the Kim followed the rules?

It seems pretty clear to me.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, S1971 said:

How can it be clear?

"We acknowledge that you followed the proper procedures and contacted us within the required timeframe due to your illness, and we appreciate your diligence in doing so"

It’s clear as mud 🤣 MsTabbyKats just wants to be right even though it says nothing of what she is thinking it says and thats ok, we all have opinions.  MSC didn’t tell me that it was up to the day before embarkation so therefore I don’t read more into the policy, or assume I know more than someone else 👍🏻

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, S1971 said:

How can it be clear?

The e-mail acknowledges that she followed the rule of contacting them within the required time period (before noon on day of embarkation).....but it doesn't address the rule of the "dates of testing".  She followed one rule, but not both of them.  That e-mail is 100% ambiguous.  Both requirements (date of test and time of phone call) should have been spelled out.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable about this...if anything....testing on the morning of embarkation is more important than "5 days prior" (remember testing at the pier just before they'd let you on the ship?). 

For reasons like this...and after my own MSC T&C issues....I use a TA now.

3 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

It’s clear as mud 🤣 MsTabbyKats just wants to be right even though it says nothing of what she is thinking it says and thats ok, we all have opinions.  MSC didn’t tell me that it was up to the day before embarkation so therefore I don’t read more into the policy, or assume I know more than someone else 👍🏻

Your email is all is the proof you need, others opinions are just that opinions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

MSC didn't tell me a lot of things...and didn't tell other people a lot of things.  They assume people read the T&C (I don't).

Sorry you're being so defensive...but it's as clear as water to me.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Your email is all is the proof you need, others opinions are just that opinions.

Her e-mail only proves she called them prior to noon. It doesn't prove she tested 5 days prior to embarkation.

It's not my opinion...it's stated in the T&C

If you test positive for COVID-19 within five (5) days prior to embarkation, you may elect to cancel your Booking. In that event, you, and anyone else in your travelling party who cancels their Booking due to your positive COVID-19 test result, will be entitled to a refund or future cruise credit equal in value to the amount Passenger paid to the Carrier. To qualify for the future cruise credit or refund, you must notify the Company via telephone at 877-665-4655 within twenty-four (24) hours of receiving the test result and no later than noon on the date of embarkation and provide verification satisfactory to the Company of test results administered by providers other than those retained by the Carrier. Under no circumstances shall the Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

10 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Her e-mail only proves she called them prior to noon. It doesn't prove she tested 5 days prior to embarkation.

It's not my opinion...it's stated in the T&C

If you test positive for COVID-19 within five (5) days prior to embarkation, you may elect to cancel your Booking. In that event, you, and anyone else in your travelling party who cancels their Booking due to your positive COVID-19 test result, will be entitled to a refund or future cruise credit equal in value to the amount Passenger paid to the Carrier. To qualify for the future cruise credit or refund, you must notify the Company via telephone at 877-665-4655 within twenty-four (24) hours of receiving the test result and no later than noon on the date of embarkation and provide verification satisfactory to the Company of test results administered by providers other than those retained by the Carrier. Under no circumstances shall the Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger.

We are not going to agree on this so it's pointless going back and forth.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@KimPossible1

Please understand....I am trying to point out WHY they denied your claim.

I'm not saying their policy is good or it makes sense....it doesn't.

Just simply...WHY.  So, please...don't take this out on me.  Take a breath...and reread the T&C.

I stand firmly with Kim on this, but regardless of right or wrong MSC's treatment regarding this totally shocking.

If as you claim that on day 0- 4  prior to boarding MSC will not refund or offer FCC, then that will simply encourage people to board the ship knowing full well that they've got Covid, Norovirus etc, etc.

It's good to know that they take into full consideration all the other guests onboard.

Knowing the hassle Kim's just had, would I board, you bet I would selfish as that may be and I'd not be the only one either.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@KimPossible1

Please understand....I am trying to point out WHY they denied your claim.

I'm not saying their policy is good or it makes sense....it doesn't.

Just simply...WHY.  So, please...don't take this out on me.  Take a breath...and reread the T&C.

We don't actually know why they denied the claim, since it was not indicated in the email sent to me.  You are not speaking for MSC so what you interpret is your opinion. You continue to say others are wrong, and that is my point.  I'm sorry you feel as if I am taking it out on you, because that is not my intention.  As I said before, we can agree to disagree 👍😄

Edited by KimPossible1
wrong word

1 minute ago, S1971 said:

I stand firmly with Kim on this, but regardless of right or wrong MSC's treatment regarding this totally shocking.

If as you claim that on day 0- 4  prior to boarding MSC will not refund or offer FCC, then that will simply encourage people to board the ship knowing full well that they've got Covid, Norovirus etc, etc.

It's good to know that they take into full consideration all the other guests onboard.

Knowing the hassle Kim's just had, would I board, you bet I would selfish as that may be and I'd not be the only one either.

It really is sad, that they just didn't do the right thing and offer a reschedule or FCC right away.  Also, my sister was almost totally fine 2 days later and was out walking a few miles in the neighborhood...ughhh 😄😄

6 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

It really is sad, that they just didn't do the right thing and offer a reschedule or FCC right away.  Also, my sister was almost totally fine 2 days later and was out walking a few miles in the neighborhood...ughhh 😄😄

At least your sister has recovered that's the main thing.

The sour taste will linger for a while, but get your insurance settlement and invest it elsewhere and enjoy 🙂

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Not taking MSC's side, but I'm curious why they have the "5 days" rule on notifying them. Do they hope that by freeing up cabins last minute, they can let people upgrade/get last-minute travelers in those cabins? I don't really know.

53 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

Oof. Under the circumstances, it might have been better for you just to board anyway. But as @S1971 pointed out, their policy appears to incentivize sick passengers to sail anyway, since a last minute cancellation gets them nothing from MSC.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not taking MSC's side, but I'm curious why they have the "5 days" rule on notifying them. Do they hope that by freeing up cabins last minute, they can let people upgrade/get last-minute travelers in those cabins? I don't really know.

Perhaps @MsTabbyKats can answer that as I have no in depth knowledge of their T&C's, the 5 day rule makes no sense to me either.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Perhaps @MsTabbyKats can answer that as I have no in depth knowledge of their T&C's, the 5 day rule makes no sense to me either.

So...where exactly did I say I like the rule, agree with the rule....or anything positive about the rule?  I only reported the rule.  And I said that it's illogical.

FYI....I never read the T&Cs...for anything.  I only did it this time because OP was insistant that she was in accordance with them.

I'm not the bad guy here....please don't shoot the messenger!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So...where exactly did I say I like the rule, agree with the rule....or anything positive about the rule?  I only reported the rule.  And I said that it's illogical.

FYI....I never read the T&Cs...for anything.  I only did it this time because OP was insistant that she was in accordance with them.

I'm not the bad guy here....please don't shoot the messenger!

Possibly because you keep insisting it’s the “rule” when it is ambiguous 🤣🤣 you aren’t the bad guy but to keep stating that it is a “rule” doesn’t mean it is correct because it’s your opinion 👍🏻 😉🤣

• Like 3