What are the best ports to do these things in???

MistyRo76

Just booked our first Alaska cruise on the Carnival Spirit for next August. Right now, it is myself, my husband and our 10-year-old (at the time of the cruise) daughter. My sister has also booked the cruise and I expect more friends and family to join us as well. 

My daughter really wants to see the sled dogs and whales! Like really, really bad! Our ports of call are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Which of these ports would have the best offerings for a sled dog tour and whale watching experience (not at the same time of course)? Given we will likely have a larger group, we are very open to booking private excursions. So, if there are tour vendors that come highly recommended, please pass those along as well! 

Juneau for whale watching.  Unless you want to pop for $500 per person to go dogsledding on a glacier, the doggy summer camp in Dyea near Skagway is fun. She would probably love the Bering Sea fisherman’s tour in Ketchikan as well.

8 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

Just booked our first Alaska cruise on the Carnival Spirit for next August. Right now, it is myself, my husband and our 10-year-old (at the time of the cruise) daughter. My sister has also booked the cruise and I expect more friends and family to join us as well. 

My daughter really wants to see the sled dogs and whales! Like really, really bad! Our ports of call are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Which of these ports would have the best offerings for a sled dog tour and whale watching experience (not at the same time of course)? Given we will likely have a larger group, we are very open to booking private excursions. So, if there are tour vendors that come highly recommended, please pass those along as well! 

Where are you departing from?  Years ago we did an orca whale watch in Vancouver which was amazing! 

2 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Where are you departing from?  Years ago we did an orca whale watch in Vancouver which was amazing! 

We depart from Seattle. 

2 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Juneau for whale watching.  Unless you want to pop for $500 per person to go dogsledding on a glacier, the doggy summer camp in Dyea near Skagway is fun. She would probably love the Bering Sea fisherman’s tour in Ketchikan as well.

Depending when they go in August, dog sledding on glacier may be over anyway for the season.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Depending when they go in August, dog sledding on glacier may be over anyway for the season.

We’re going the very beginning of August. 

35 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

We’re going the very beginning of August. 

It really depends on the year (dog sledding on the glacier). When the snow is gone, it stops. Dog sledding with wheels on land can be done through out the season. There definitely is a difference in price. As stated, on ice can run $500+ per person as it involves a helicopter landing on a glacier.

57 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

for whales in Juneau search Jayleen but likely full already. 

Search youtube for all the tours. I TOOK MY MOM DOG SLEDDING IN SKAGWAY ALASKA! | PLAYING WITH HUSKY PUPPIES (youtube.com)

The train also has one ride up and dogs visit during the bus down. I haven't been so cant recommend it. 

We’re going next August - 2025. Would Jayleen’s tours already be full a year and a half out? 

I’ll check out the YouTube video…thanks! 

51 minutes ago, Coral said:

It really depends on the year (dog sledding on the glacier). When the snow is gone, it stops. Dog sledding with wheels on land can be done through out the season. There definitely is a difference in price. As stated, on ice can run $500+ per person as it involves a helicopter landing on a glacier.

We aren’t looking to spending $1500 on one excursion. So the encounter at the farm and pulling on wheels would be fine. Thank you! 

6 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

We’re going next August - 2025. Would Jayleen’s tours already be full a year and a half out? 

She would not be booked up in 2025 but I bet you won't be the first to reserve. Currently she has 3 boats that take 6 person per trip. 4 hour including .5 hour to get there and back. 

19 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

We aren’t looking to spending $1500 on one excursion. So the encounter at the farm and pulling on wheels would be fine. Thank you! 

That is what I thought so I thought I would clarify.

• Like 1

I second the recommendation to go on the sled dog excursion in Dyea.  We took our girls there when they were 8 and 10 years old.  They still talk about how much fun it was!  We enjoyed it more than the sled dog kennels in Caribou Crossing.  My girls also did not enjoy the train ride nor the 'scenery' going to the Yukon.  Were much happier with the sled dogs in Dyea.

If your daughter is into the Junior Ranger Program, she can participate at Skagway before/after the sled dog trip.  Klondike Gold Rush National Park does a great job.  Also, if your ship visits Glacier Bay, she can be a Junior Ranger there as well (US Rangers board the ship).

Juneau is for whales.  Jayleen is great.  We've really enjoyed our trips with Harv and Marv (https://www.harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com/).  One can also see whales from the ship during the cruise.  I don't know if Carnival has a naturalist on board but last summer I saw more whales from cruise ships than I did on an excursion in Juneau!

The Bering Sea excursion is a good excursion for wildlife--lots of eagles, seals, etc.  My kids really enjoyed the experience especially holding crabs and other critters that were brought up in the trap.

For a less expensive experience in Ketchikan, the Lumberjack Show is always a hit for multi-generational groups.  It's corny but good fun.  Kids (and grandparents) seem to really like it.  There is also a science discovery museum and a totem in Ketchikan we like to visit--good cultural and environmental information about the area.

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

I second the recommendation to go on the sled dog excursion in Dyea.  We took our girls there when they were 8 and 10 years old.  They still talk about how much fun it was!  We enjoyed it more than the sled dog kennels in Caribou Crossing.  My girls also did not enjoy the train ride nor the 'scenery' going to the Yukon.  Were much happier with the sled dogs in Dyea.

If your daughter is into the Junior Ranger Program, she can participate at Skagway before/after the sled dog trip.  Klondike Gold Rush National Park does a great job.  Also, if your ship visits Glacier Bay, she can be a Junior Ranger there as well (US Rangers board the ship).

Juneau is for whales.  Jayleen is great.  We've really enjoyed our trips with Harv and Marv (https://www.harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com/).  One can also see whales from the ship during the cruise.  I don't know if Carnival has a naturalist on board but last summer I saw more whales from cruise ships than I did on an excursion in Juneau!

The Bering Sea excursion is a good excursion for wildlife--lots of eagles, seals, etc.  My kids really enjoyed the experience especially holding crabs and other critters that were brought up in the trap.

For a less expensive experience in Ketchikan, the Lumberjack Show is always a hit for multi-generational groups.  It's corny but good fun.  Kids (and grandparents) seem to really like it.  There is also a science discovery museum and a totem in Ketchikan we like to visit--good cultural and environmental information about the area.

Thanks for the detailed info! I think we'll definitely do that sled tour in Skagway! Do you know if there's time to do both the sled dog and a train tour? Did you book the sled dog tour through a local company or thru the ship? 

I also think we will do whale-watching in Juneau. 

For Ketchikan - I would love to do a bear encounter. But one would be $1500 for our family and the less expensive one says it's for 12+ only. But that Bering Tour caught my eye as well. I think my girl would love that! And so would the hubby! Wonder if there's time to do that and the lumberjack show? If not, we may just do a chill day in Ketchikan with the lumberjack show and just exploring Creek Street and checking out the totems downtown and trying all the food! 

I second going with Harv and Marv's. They have 6 passenger boats but they also have an 18 passenger boat. So that might be good for you, if others join you on the cruise.

7 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

Thanks for the detailed info! I think we'll definitely do that sled tour in Skagway! Do you know if there's time to do both the sled dog and a train tour? Did you book the sled dog tour through a local company or thru the ship? 

I also think we will do whale-watching in Juneau. 

For Ketchikan - I would love to do a bear encounter. But one would be $1500 for our family and the less expensive one says it's for 12+ only. But that Bering Tour caught my eye as well. I think my girl would love that! And so would the hubby! Wonder if there's time to do that and the lumberjack show? If not, we may just do a chill day in Ketchikan with the lumberjack show and just exploring Creek Street and checking out the totems downtown and trying all the food! 

I’ve used this company to book a visit to the Musher Camp in Skagway.  There are numerous options—dog sled ride, s’mores & puppies, etc.  Here’s the link: https://alaskashoreexcursions.com/skagway/dog-sledding?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw48-vBhBbEiwAzqrZVBW3qLJafStCWbIvp8-xdxqqP8Ip0FMtXDxXoRCOawyF3QE5lOFaZhoCPx4QAvD_BwE

If you’re interested in a sled dog and the train, I highly recommend this company:https://chilkootcharters.com/yukon-rail-bus/  We have used them numerous times—very professional and great fun.  One can take the train, have a BBQ lunch, visit the puppies (sled rides are extra) and then head back to Skagway in a van.

I’m not sure if you can do the Bering Crab Tour and the Lumberjack show in one day—not sure of your port times in Ketchikan.  Your plan of having a chill day is a good one.  Be sure to check out the salmon run—there’s a fish ladder by Creek Street and there’s also usually seals present.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:35 AM, disneyochem said:

This is a reference to the South East Alaska Discovery Center which is operated by the US Forest Service.  They offer a Tongass Junior Ranger program.  Minimal entrance fee but check their website as they accept a number of park passes which provide free entrance.

For those interested in museums the city of Ketchikan operates two -- the Tongass Historical Museum and the Totem Heritage Center.  Both  have entrance fees, but minimal in amount.  Nice options for a rainy day in Ketchikan.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:35 AM, disneyochem said:

What is the difference between a Marv & Harv tour & a Jayleen tour, do you know?  They look similar, but ther is a $30pp difference.