Rome Alternative

DRedmond

We are going on a Mediterranean Cruise in September. We are spending 5 days in Rome before the cruise. The cruise leaves from Barcelona and stops back at Civitavecchia on Day 5. I don’t think it will be worth the time or expense to go back into Rome seeing that we will have just left there about 10 days prior. Are there any alternative places we should be thinking about?  Previous stop going to Florence and next stop Naples (doing Pompeii and Amalfi Coast there). Neither of us drink wine so cross that off too. Thanks in advance 

2 minutes ago, DRedmond said:

We are going on a Mediterranean Cruise in September. We are spending 5 days in Rome before the cruise. The cruise leaves from Barcelona and stops back at Civitavecchia on Day 5. I don’t think it will be worth the time or expense to go back into Rome seeing that we will have just left there about 10 days prior. Are there any alternative places we should be thinking about?  Previous stop going to Florence and next stop Naples (doing Pompeii and Amalfi Coast there). Neither of us drink wine so cross that off too. Thanks in advance 

There are quite a few options depending on "your spirit of adventure" and whether you are willing to go off on your own.  The obvious option (that is also among the easiest) is to simply go to Tarquinia and explore some of the Etruscan Tombs and related artifacts.  Cruisemom will likely see this thread and jump in with more detailed advice.

My personal favorite option would be to go to Ostia Antica (located not far from the airport) and spend a few hours touring the ruins.  For whatever reason, this impressive site is often skipped on excursions.  

Another place that DW and I really enjoy is Tivoli.  This is a small town located outside of Rome (unfortunately it is on the far side of Rome from the cruise port) that has a lot of attractions for visitors.  In that area you have the Villa Adriana and Villa d'Este (these two places can fill most of a day) and the town of Tivoli is actually a delightful place to browse shops and have lunch.  Getting there from Civitavecchia is somewhat of a hassle unless you are willing to pay for a private tour or simply rent a car (what we do) and drive.  One can drive to Tivoli without ever going too close to Rome (you simply take the ring road until you reach the proper exit to Tivoli).

And we should also mention Orvieto, which is a hill town (North of Rome) quite popular with tour groups and DIYers.  l

All this, and more, are accessible to those of us who simply rent a car for the day (there are multiple rental car places in Civitavecchia).  But one can also look for small group private tours, or spend the bigger bucks and hire your own car/driver for the day (both Romecabs.com and Romeinlimo.com are often recommended here on CC).

Hank

Or, for a really off the wall option, you could get on a train and head to Naples to give yourself two days to explore the area.  Trying to cram Pompei and the Amalfi Coast into one day doesn't give you much time at either place.

• Like 1

I think most of the options have already been mentioned. I have a simple question: what day of the week will you be in Civitavecchia. Because, unfortunately the Ostia Antica site, as well as the Etruscan Museum and Tombs in Tarquinia are all closed on Mondays (as are many other museums and some historic sites in Italy).

If it's not Monday, then the above-mentioned two would be my first choice suggestions. You can get to Ostia using the train system (have to backtrack slightly to Rome, but it's not difficult). There is a bus from Civitavecchia to Tarquinia. I haven't done it in quite a while, but I believe it doesn't run on Sundays, could be that it doesn't run on Saturdays or Sundays....

So as you can see, knowing the day is very helpful!

Tivoli is a delightful place, but as Hank says, it is on the far side of Rome and I'm not sure I'd attempt it on a port day from Civi unless it is a very long day.... You'd spend an awful lot of time just getting there and back. It's better done from Rome (if you have any slots in your 5-day visit.) Hadrian's villa, located in Tivoli, IS open every day.

Another option for a quiet day would be to have lunch at Lake Bracciano, which is about an hour from the port by car, a bit longer by public transportation.  There are lots of nice restaurants, some with lake views.

If you are willing to do a private excursion, a tour to the Etruscan necropolis in Cerveteri and a visit to the Castello Odescalchi on the shores of Lake Bracciano are a great option.  Cerveteri is closed on Mondays.  The castle is open daily in the summer.  Companies such as Rome cabs offer this option.  

https://www.romecabs.com/toursinitaly/rome-countryside-tours/

Thank you all so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge. You have given us alot to think about.  SO many fabulous options to choose from!  Thanks again!