Cruising out of NYC. Staying overnight in NJ.

Family Group (7) sailing out of NYC on the Norwegian Joy in mid July. We all prefer spending the night before in a Hotel in NJ that is the easiest ride from NJ to NY. Would very much appreciate any Marriott Properties recommendations. 

Thank you in advance.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Family Group (7) sailing out of NYC on the Norwegian Joy in mid July. We all prefer spending the night before in a Hotel in NJ that is the easiest ride from NJ to NY. Would very much appreciate any Marriott Properties recommendations. 

Thank you in advance.  

Definitely not NJ, but if you're flying into La Guardia, Marriott has a Sheraton in Flushing that is very nice, and exceptionally priced. Free shuttle from the airport. Front desk ordered a car for us to the port. We sailed the Escape in November on Marathon Sunday, and we were at the port in 25-minutes. Driver knew what he was doing.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Definitely not NJ, but if you're flying into La Guardia, Marriott has a Sheraton in Flushing that is very nice, and exceptionally priced. Free shuttle from the airport. Front desk ordered a car for us to the port. We sailed the Escape in November on Marathon Sunday, and we were at the port in 25-minutes. Driver knew what he was doing.

Thanks but we're not flying in. Driving up from PA. Flushing is definitely out of the way. 

We drive in from south central PA. We’ve stayed at Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ. Both have (or at least they used to have) a cruise package that included parking and transportation to/from the cruise terminal. Cost was about the same or less than parking at the pier. We’ve also stayed there and driven to pier. Easy trip. 

for our trip next week, we’re staying at Homewood Suites in East Rutherford for the first time and driving in and parking at pier. Group of 5 this time and they were one of the few hotels that had two bedroom/two bath option. Should be easy trip to pier from there also. 

2 hours ago, mimi05052012 said:

We drive in from south central PA. We’ve stayed at Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ. Both have (or at least they used to have) a cruise package that included parking and transportation to/from the cruise terminal. Cost was about the same or less than parking at the pier. We’ve also stayed there and driven to pier. Easy trip. 

for our trip next week, we’re staying at Homewood Suites in East Rutherford for the first time and driving in and parking at pier. Group of 5 this time and they were one of the few hotels that had two bedroom/two bath option. Should be easy trip to pier from there also. 

Rutherford/secaucus have hotels a 10 minute drive from the Lincoln tunnel, this would be a good area to stop for the night before driving in (I’m local so never stayed anywhere).

We've stayed many times by EWR at Marriott properties.  I get it is NYC, but they are overpriced and I'd give them a C overall.

Our last stay the shuttle was a cluster.  Had to go to remote area at airport, asked driver of shuttle if go to x address, told yes, ended up opposite end of airport at different Marriott.

Uber on way out, first driver could not find hotel, second struggled.

8 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I get it is NYC, but they are overpriced and I'd give them a C overall.

that's true of nearly every airport property worldwide.

We've stayed at a Courtyard by Marriot in Edgewater on our last 2 Joy cruises.  It was very nice and a very easy drive to the port in the am. 

We actually drive from NH and choose to stay on the NJ side and have stayed in the Edgewater area quite often!    

17 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

We all prefer spending the night before in a Hotel in NJ that is the easiest ride from NJ to NY. Would very much appreciate any Marriott Properties recommendations. 

Consider stopping a little further out and you have some nice options that are in less urban areas but still an easy ride into NYC in the morning. The Westin Governor Morris is under the Marriott banner and is closeby to Morristown and Madison NJ which have great dinner options and the ability to walk around. A little down the street is the Hilton Short Hills which is right across from the Short Hills Mall, one of the nicer malls in the country, with a ton of options to eat and hang out. HSH is one of the nicest Hiltons I've stayed at and a great value. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Consider stopping a little further out and you have some nice options that are in less urban areas but still an easy ride into NYC in the morning. The Westin Governor Morris is under the Marriott banner and is closeby to Morristown and Madison NJ which have great dinner options and the ability to walk around. A little down the street is the Hilton Short Hills which is right across from the Short Hills Mall, one of the nicer malls in the country, with a ton of options to eat and hang out. HSH is one of the nicest Hiltons I've stayed at and a great value. 

Secaucus isn’t what I’d consider urban, or in a desolate area. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Secaucus isn’t what I’d consider urban, or in a desolate area. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/Pages/index.html

?? I never commented on Secaucus at all much less calling it desolate. Wouldn't be my first choice which is why I didn't mention it. 

It is a lot more urban than either of the two places I mention which are in very upscale suburban towns. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

?? I never commented on Secaucus at all much less calling it desolate. Wouldn't be my first choice which is why I didn't mention it. 

It is a lot more urban than either of the two places I mention which are in very upscale suburban towns. 

I’ve lived in Essex county NJ my entire life so very familiar with those areas. With traffic it could take 1+ hour to get to the cruise terminal. I think Secaucus is 6 miles away, if one wants a mall with food options American dream is 2 miles away, 2nd largest mall in the country, they can shop, eat, ski, ice skate, golf, see an aquarium, go to a water park or amusement park, go on a giant Ferris wheel… I’ve stayed at the Hilton, they used to have a great Sunday brunch but I think that’s gone. Montclair also has a couple higher end hotels with great shopping and restaurants closer to NYC.

One thing to consider is staying north a bit - there is a large Marriott in Teaneck close to both I-95 or I-80. You'd enter Manhattan via the George Washington Bridge and take the Hudson Parkway south to the cruise terminal. Probably 30 minutes or less and for the city a fairly easy drive.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Has anyone stayed in Jersey City? Looks closer to the cruise terminal, and has lots of hotels and restaurants.

Of all locations listed in this thread Jersey City is the closest to NYC. The view of lower Manhattan from JC is spectacular. PATH train service will get you into NYC 10-15 minutes from Jersey City, if you care to visit pre cruise. Hotels in Jersey City will most probably charge you to park overnight & their rates will be higher than other locations listed.

12 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Of all locations listed in this thread Jersey City is the closest to NYC. The view of lower Manhattan from JC is spectacular. PATH train service will get you into NYC 10-15 minutes from Jersey City, if you care to visit pre cruise. Hotels in Jersey City will most probably charge you to park overnight & their rates will be higher than other locations listed.

We are flying in to EWR, so parking is not an issue for us. Sounds like JC might be a good choice for us. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

We are flying in to EWR, so parking is not an issue for us. Sounds like JC might be a good choice for us. Thanks.

Hotels in Jersey City won't have complimentary shuttle service from EWR so you'll have to Uber/Lyft from the airport to the hotel.  

I specifically recommend Uber or Lyft over a taxi because the taxis at EWR are generally pretty ratty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Hotels in Jersey City won't have complimentary shuttle service from EWR so you'll have to Uber/Lyft from the airport to the hotel.  

I specifically recommend Uber or Lyft over a taxi because the taxis at EWR are generally pretty ratty.

Good advice. Thanks much!

On 3/15/2024 at 7:01 PM, Ozmodiar said:

One thing to consider is staying north a bit - there is a large Marriott in Teaneck close to both I-95 or I-80. You'd enter Manhattan via the George Washington Bridge and take the Hudson Parkway south to the cruise terminal. Probably 30 minutes or less and for the city a fairly easy drive.

We stayed at this very property before our trip last year out of Brooklyn. Worked out great, relatively inexpensive, large, full service hotel, and as you say, right off the GW Bridge and an easy drive to the MCT (though of course we drove right by it on the way to Brooklyn). Far less expensive than any Manhattan or Brooklyn hotel I could find.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 5:51 PM, Loracpin2 said:

Thank you in advance.  

Before our last trip out the the MCT, we stayed across the river in Weehawken, almost directly opposite the MCT. There are two Marriott properties in the same building, a Residence Inn and an Envue, both across the street from the huge ferry terminal, many rooms having great Manhattan skyline views. A large parking garage attached to the hotels was around ($25?) per day, far cheaper than at the MCT.  Rather than drive through the Lincoln Tunnel or cross the GW Bridge, we parked for the week at the ferry terminal and took the ferry across the Hudson. From the ferry terminal at W 40th, it was an easy 15 minute walk north up the pedestrian-only walkway to the MCT. We will do that again whenever we sail out of the MCT. The ferry system is very conducive to traveling with suitcases, getting on and off the ferry was dead easy, and as it was around 8AM on a Saturday when we did it, the ferry was pretty much empty.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, commodoredave said:

If you are comfortable with public transportation, the train from EWR into Manhattan is pretty easy to navigate. You can even switch from NJ Transit to the PATH system at Newark Penn Station (different than the airport station) and take the PATH to Exchange Place in Jersey City, where there is a very nice Hyatt on the waterfront. However, if you're not dealing with a car, I would just head into NYC direct from EWR. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

A large parking garage attached to the hotels was around ($25?) per day, far cheaper than at the MCT. .... From the ferry terminal at W 40th, it was an easy 15 minute walk north up the pedestrian-only walkway to the MCT. We will do that again whenever we sail out of the MCT. The ferry system is very conducive to traveling with suitcases, getting on and off the ferry was dead easy, and as it was around 8AM on a Saturday when we did it, the ferry was pretty much empty.

Thanks for this, I may try this next time I sail from the MCT. Always wanted to try the ferry.

Edited by Ozmodiar

3 minutes ago, Ozmodiar said:

If you are comfortable with public transportation, the train from EWR into Manhattan is pretty easy to navigate. You can even switch from NJ Transit to the PATH system at Newark Penn Station (different than the airport station) and take the PATH to Exchange Place in Jersey City, where there is a very nice Hyatt on the waterfront. However, if you're not dealing with a car, I would just head into NYC direct from EWR. 

No interest this time in visiting NYC. Been there many times and will be there again in June.