Civitavecchia debarkation shuttle waits

gddo

From what I understand, you have to take the free port shuttle to Largo della Pace once you get off the cruise ship.  How long of a wait is it if everyone is getting off at the same time?

First, everyone will not be getting off the ship at the same time. Not physically possible.

Second, not everyone getting off will want to use the shuttle. Some will have other plans and transport methods.

You only have to take the shuttle if you are at certain docking locations, and not having any other transport methods. Others you can walk from, or you are close to or at the public gates. 

The shuttles have a constant looping schedule.

Ok, thank you!  I'm just trying to decide for what time I should book my train ticket.  Can I safely assume, then, that if I do have to take a shuttle, I shouldn't have to wait long?

7 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Is this the end of your cruise or a port day?

Also, where will you be headed to?

You may not need to buy the train ticket in advance.

end of the cruise

We need to get to Roma Termini.  I'm just worried because there will be 4 cruise ships there that day.  

Posted (edited)

Also, according to the website Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia, it says that I can take the free shuttle bus to Molo del Bicchiere which will be closer for us to walk to the train station.  And getting on the ship, I can get on at the same stop (Molo del Bicchiere) instead of going to Largo della Pace. This is regardless of which pier we are docked at.  It seems the only people that need to go to Largo della Pace are the people who want to catch a bus to the train station. Does that sound right? 

Edited by gddo

No, I don't think so, but things have been changing so I guess anything is possible.  If you are docked at the far north berth (#25) I don't think you can get a shuttle to the fort area.  They very deliberately list the piers the shuttle stops at and #25 is not included.  They do include #18, #20, #21 and #27, which are all ferry docks.   If you are at the southern berths (#12 - #13) you can get the shuttle at Molo del Bicchiere but, after the walk to get to that point, why bother?

Molo del Bicchiere is the first stop in the loop, if you are at the southern berths (#12 - #13) you would have a long walk to that first stop, and a very short shuttle ride to the next stop, the fort. 

I haven't taken the shuttle since they redid the lines but it looks to me like they are pushing passengers toward the 6 euro bus that takes you right to the train station.  The 6 euro bus does pick up at the cruise terminal.

Scroll down on the page you linked to see where Molo del Bicchiere is located vis-a-vis the southern cruise terminal and piers. 

Posted (edited)

Actually, the Port Mobility just informed me that the stop at Molo del Bicchiere will no longer be available this summer since Bramante parking will be permanently closed in July.  So everyone needs to go to Largo della Place.

Edited by gddo

Posted (edited)

Also, the most southern pier is 10 and 13th is the furthest away.  I calculated it out on Google maps.  In terms of distance, if you are pier 10 or 11, it's closer to walk directly instead of going to Largo della Pace.  

So back to my original question... If I have to take the free shuttle, how long is the longest you think it would take to get on the shuttle?  I know it's like a 15 min ride and then I'd walk to the train station which is another 20 min walk or so.

Edited by gddo

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I would just pay the 6 euros/person and ride the bus from your ship directly to the train station.  I rode it the other direction and it was great to be taken door-to-door, so to speak.

It's always not much when you are just paying for yourself or you and only one other, but when you have 4 people like we do, those small costs start to add up.  Worst case scenario, how long of a wait is it to ride this shuttle at most?

Edited by gddo

Posted (edited)

I don't think 10 or 11 are used for cruise ships, they're too small.  It's just 12 and 13, which each have a north and south berth.

How long it takes would depend on several factors, but just the time it takes to load 60 or so people on a bus starts to add up.

If you are all physically able, I'd just hike from the ship.  I did this with the kids, they weren't happy about it (it was July and very hot) but they did it.  You can do this from the 12 & 13 berths, if you're at 25 you just have to suck it up and deal with the bus.

The distance on foot ranges from 1.25 miles to 1.75 miles, depending on the berth.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you.  That is helpful.  We will probably just do that then.  It seems we are in the same position as you were--going in July with kids 😊

Posted (edited)

On our cruise in July with Royal a few days before the end we got a letter about them arranging transportation for various things so we went to guest services and they booked a shuttle to the train station for the 3 of us. I do not remember the cost. It was waiting for us right outside the terminal and we shared it with a couple. We got to the train station and found where to buy the tickets to Rome and then had to see which track the next train was on and have the tickets stamped by the green thing. We had to go to one of the tracks across from where we were so had to go down a set of stairs and come up the other side. From Rome we were getting a train to Venice which we purchased from Italo ahead of time and when we booked those tickets did it for 11 am and bought flex in case there was a delay. Luckily that all worked out great but then when we arrived at Rome Termini it is a huge station and took time to get to the area from where we got left off to the area where the train we needed to catch was and if you need restrooms and food that is another area you have to go so allow a lot of time if you are not staying in Rome and going elsewhere where you need another train.

Edited by CynBeth6

Keep in mind that even if the shuttle to Largo della Pace is still free, you would need to transfer to a paid bus (used to be 2 Euros) to get you to the station.  If there is truly a 6 Euro shuttle from the port directly to the station, this is the best option for most folks (except those of us who like very long walks).

We will again be at Civitavecchia in a few weeks and will admit to being curious as to the current situation.  Being Italy, what existed today may well not exist tomorrow.  Most long-time independent travelers have learned that in Italy, one needs to keep their sense of humor and flexibility.  

Hank